• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Are there any fish you won't shoot?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
If your curiosity and trustiness causes you to end up on the BBQ as somebody's dinner, then you are not so smart. The fish that dart away are certainly wiser and smarter.
Curiosity is what brought us to the top of the food chain. It's also what will bring us down to the bottom again.

Now I would call humanity stupid for sure. We're following our own invented high-tech carrot-on-a-stick right off the cliff. That makes me wonder. Curiosity for sure can be seen as a sign of intelligence, but so can stupidity? I mean, you need a brain for it to malfunction. :D

Reactions: Kodama
I long ago stopped catching octopus, just because I find them fascinating and the way they fixate on you.

Since I started spearfishing I figured everything is fair game if it's not endangered. I find myself hesitant to shoot groupers though. The first time I saw one, just snorkeling, this big goofy creature looking me in the eyes from a meter away. It only swam away after I tried to touch it. And then it just hid its head in a rock cavity and I still could've grabbed it by the tail.

A week ago I saw a big grouper right near the port, in a town where people say there are no fish so they travel elsewhere. I even know which hole it lives in because there aren't any others. Again, we made eye contact until I got too close. I just feel bad about taking out a such a laid back creature. I feel like they're sea dogs or something. Plus knowing this big creature has been living right here under people's noses for years, like some kind of crypto beast.

I think I'm projecting. Just like a friend who says it's more murderous to shoot a fish in a hole, because it's invasive. Does it make a difference to the fish? I also know other fish are curious, not just groupers. So there's nothing noble about this, maybe mutual respect for another predator, like not shooting a wolf or a tiger.

So I guess it's personal really. I was just wondering if others have this dilemma sometimes.
Interesting thread for sure and I can imagine each of us having different views depending on where and how we dive (amongst many things). In answering the base question, I shoot the fish I enjoy eating, nothing more. For example, I avoid shooting ulua (giant trevally) mainly because there are other better eating fish out there, but also because they have high cigua toxins. In contrast every single one of my partners wouldn't hesitate to shoot one purely for sport and mainly trophy.
I also avoid harvesting more than I need. Which means I end up filming and practice-calling in fish on occasion.
Spearfishing in Hawaii definitely takes a toll on fish and its population (beyond fishing with poles and boats) since everyone feels like it's a free-for-all for anything (not quite, but just the mentality). It's more the reason why the locals here keep the better spots to themselves (unlike certain YouTubers who now live here sharing spots for likes).
When I can, I try to impress upon the new divers of being safe, ethical, and responsible. Not to tell them don't shoot, but rather mindful on their needs and the impact.

Reactions: Leander and Kodama
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT