• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

are there any freediving courses out there :)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

luked

Jun 27, 2008
howdy everyone , id just like to start by saying what a great resource of info this site is,
now down to my question :)
i am very keen on perhaps doing a freediver course , im from sydney and have been trying to find one here but i cant , are there any here ??:head
if not i am willing to travel to learn,
at the moment im lucky to freedive to even 8-10 metres. i feel awkward in the water when i get past 5 metres , i obviously need some training and i learn best from being with people that show me.
many thanks in advance.

Hi luked, Welcome to DB.

Try a search for "Sidney" and other places you can reach. Look over the threads that come up and you should find several references to courses.

Connor

Hi Luked,

Australia is a little sparse when it comes to Freedive Instructors. There is one guy called Erez Beatus doing courses somewhere up around the QLD border but I have heard he's been overseas for a while.

I live in London but i'm moving to Brisbane around Oct time, i'm an AIDA Freedive instructor and will be starting courses sometime after October. If there is demand then I can certainly come down to Sydney - I lived there for 8 years before heading overseas so i've got plenty of mates to catch up with there!

I will be teaching AIDA 2* and 3* courses, you can see some details on the AIDA International website under Education.

Cheers,
Ben

As a word of advice, don't waste your money on the DiveR course. Wait for Benny to get over and get some more useful training.

Fly to cebu philippines they have one next week and enjoy :)

howdy everyone , id just like to start by saying what a great resource of info this site is,
i am very keen on perhaps doing a freediver course , im from sydney and have been trying to find one here but i cant , are there any here ??:head
at the moment im lucky to freedive to even 8-10 metres. i feel awkward in the water when i get past 5 metres , i obviously need some training and i learn best from being with people that show me.
many thanks in advance.

THX for the responses guys , and sorry for replying so late hehe i lost my thread :)
anyway that sounds great ben, ive only just started apnia training last week (dry static) and have gone from 30 secs to 1:04 in a few days , im about to go to the pool for some wet dynamics see how i go.. im just taking it slow at the moment.
by october i will hopefully be able to hold my breath for alot longer and would love to meet up with you wether in syd or queensland.

Luked - to just give you an idea how good this training is: Your static will go from 1:04 to probably 4:00 + in a couple of hours. It's all in the PROPER Technique. Taking a course is the best thing for anyone.

wow!! really ?
i cant wait ,
i was at the pool yesterday and the fins im using are esclapez fins they are really hard and about 6+ years old.
what are some good fin types to buy?

my dry static is now at 1:25 :)

Well, I wouldn't say you'll hit 4 minutes after a couple of hours (some people can/do, some people can't/don't), but you'll definitely be provided with the education in order to work on it. On these sorts of courses it's best to concentrate on learning the techniques rather than trying to hit a target - it can become frustrating for the student if they've got a number in their head they want to achieve and they struggle to get there. What they don't realise is that probably after a month or so that number they had in their head will be well surpassed.

I had a look at Erez's website and it looks like he'll be back in September, if you wanted to do a course sooner. It's funny - Australia has had no qualifed freedive instructors before and soon enough there will be 3 all in South East QLD within an hours drive of each other! My excuse is that my wife wants to live in Brisbane.... not my call ;) But hey, all that sunshine and blue water can't be all bad :D

Cheers,
Ben

ive been reading in books and websites that people who want to freedive often end up with bad habits from self teaching themselves and often dont like to change their ways. so im keeping an open mind about all the info im finding and will always remain open to new or old technics..
i am very excited 2day as my book has arrived in the mail "manual of freediving by stefano t. and umberto p. " cant wait to read it
well i reckon by october i will be very keen for your wise teachings :)
in 2 weeks i leave for thailand for a month , i heard in krabi they have freediving courses. dont think ill travel that far tho.
thx again

many thanks in advance.
Take your time, and do it slow.
I mean it is not one day to get deep. If you alredy made to 10m you may theart your self as advance diver.
Classes/courses,=I can give you one
YouTube - sofabike's Channel
The only, I am on outer planet side:) in Florida USA
Nik from Dive Locker PCB

ive been reading in books and websites that people who want to freedive often end up with bad habits from self teaching themselves and often dont like to change their ways. so im keeping an open mind about all the info im finding and will always remain open to new or old technics..
i am very excited 2day as my book has arrived in the mail "manual of freediving by stefano t. and umberto p. " cant wait to read it
well i reckon by october i will be very keen for your wise teachings :)
in 2 weeks i leave for thailand for a month , i heard in krabi they have freediving courses. dont think ill travel that far tho.
thx again

Luke that is a very good observation and a healthy attitude. Unfortunately the internet is the easiest and almost always the first place people go to learn to freedive. Whilst there is a ton of good info around, the problem is that there's a load of rubbish too and you don't know what order to learn things. I'm very guilty of this - for example I learnt to pack very very early into my freediving, when I was doing less than 4min statics and depths of 20m - packing is an advanced technique and just isn't necessary for beginners.

The Manual of Freediving is the closest thing to a freedive bible, it's great. That said, it can read a little bit like a textbook and can be hard to follow in areas, so don't think of it as the answer to all your problems.

If you're heading to Thailand there are a couple of courses available over there, Apnea Total is one that springs to mind. Other AIDA Instructors sometime base themselves there for part of the year around Koh Tao.

Or, you could sit on the beach and drink beer for a month - holidays are holidays after all ;)

Cheers,
Ben

Dear Aussie,

Maybe, the right fins for you could be: Mares Razor Soft or Cressi Gara 3000 LD.

All the best,

KK

thx again for reply guys,
i think i might do the latter in thailand benny drinking and partying :) although if there is a place to learn freediving close by i will dive at the chance. hehe
ive had a little read of the book and i see what you mean, so much to take in.

thx kinky i will check out those fins on the net later, i was also looking at diveR fins too although i didnt want to spend that much straight away $525. i was looking at spending around the $350 -$400 max.
who knows i might even find a bargain in thailand.

Hi there,
I live in Wollongong and did a fantastic course with Erez Beatus. It was really interesting and I learnt a lot. He does courses in Sydney, QLD and cairns.
I would recommend him. I will do a more advanced course when he returns from OS..later this year I believe.
Lukas

Dear Luked,

You can save your money buying only freedivers fins.

In Italy many professional scuba divers use them instead scuba divers one.

Really? They do that in Italy?

Great! Now I can tell those people who tell me that freediving fins should not be used for scuba that people in Italy do that all the time!:D

Well, maybe they complain because I wear my Ices down and they keep bumping into it. But they shouldn't be so close in the first place! Scubies...:t

Dear Luked,

You can save your money buying only freedivers fins.

In Italy many professional scuba divers use them instead scuba divers one.

Like these ones?

diveR_Blue_camo_2.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT