• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

assistance with loading please ?????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
Hiya All

Firstly, happy new year to all, have just returned home from a break, Island Sands...glad to hear you are OK, was wondering about my DB friends when the Tsunami's hit.

My ridiculous problem is as follows, I got a 1.2 meter gun for some extra range, have been using mainly a 96.
My 1.2 m has just one notch in the spear, and I cannot, cannot load the *&%#$ thing !!! :vangry

I am not a huge bodybuilder, but hey, I have never had a problem loading my guns, have been a climber for 12 years and consider myself to be fairly strong.
I cannot get the trigger to my chest as the gun is too long or my arms too short, tried with trigger mech in my hip, but cannot get rubbers all the way.
I eventually got it loaded on shore with assistance, but this is not the way. :duh

I do not really want to lengthen rubber, as this gun has killer power and accuracy?? Is there a solution for me, a technique I am missing maybe ??

Jeff

I put mine on my stomack almost to my solarplexis (not sure on spelling, wherer you get hit sometimes and it knocks the wind out of you) and roll up and pull with all my strength and I can get my 20 mm band to the first notch and then chest load it to the second.

110 cm Rabi Stealth is what I do this with

Devin

My arms are pretty short and I'm of average strength. Here's what I do with long guns and stiff bands. Assuming you are right handed, grab the left band with your left hand, grab the gun handle with your right. Now extend the gun outward and inclined slightly upward keeping your left arm fully extended. Use your right hand to PUSH and TUCK the butt up to your solar plexus and then lower the angle of the gun so it is perpendicular to your torso. It's important that you lower the angle of the gun because this will lock the butt into your chest and keep it from slipping off while you let go of the handle. The bands will be in tension but in perfect reach for your right hand to grab a hold of the other band. PULL!!! straight back and stick your chest out to get an extra few inches.

Thanks guys, thats the trick I'm told, to lower the barrel, as well as even lock the end of the barrel between your fins before you 'lean back to load'.

Will try it later today !!!

PS, I dived for 2 hrs, too scared to try a 'lucky' shot in case I ended up with an unloaded gun and no assistance.
On my LAST DIVE before calling it a day, a nice Blacktail bream cruised past a way off, nothing to lose, so I fired !! New gun, 1 shot, 1 fish !!! Very chuffed!!

Regards

jeff

hiya
what gun is it??
anyway heres a photo and video also
http://www.spearfishing.com.au/albums/Techo_File/aaq.mpeg
if its not working go to the gallery page >Techo Files>page3>
euro speargun loading >right clic on it >save target as
your done...... :)
happy new year from israel
eyal :wave

Attachments

• aar.jpg
    aar.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:
Hiya

Gun is a Freedivers 1.2 m rail gun, made by shane Breedt in Durban.

Thanks for the link mundial.

did it help you to load your gun ??
we in israel use allmost the same ways you guys fish in s-Africa

Hi,The South African Rob Allen web site has a gun loading tutorial.Suggest you also try eating 3 shredded wheat instead of 2.
Jon

Hi Mundial

Have'nt been in the water yet!! Conditions have been bad when I've been off to dive, hopefully this weekend.

Jeff.

hi jeff,

i caught up with ivan the other day, he says a big hello and smiles and laughs. cool.

the DZ has changed alot i imagine since the early days, they are doing 100,000+ jumps a year......etc. it is a great place here.....

have fun johnny.

Has anyone got similar excellent advice on on non chest loading of < 1metre guns (90cm euro gun 1x 16mm and mid handled Riffe 3 x 9/16 bands) I dont think Im going to be able to load off my chest this year, never been able to doi it off my tummy or hip
Ta :)

Last edited:
mundial said:
hiya
what gun is it??
anyway heres a photo and video also
http://www.spearfishing.com.au/albums/Techo_File/aaq.mpeg
if its not working go to the gallery page >Techo Files>page3>
euro speargun loading >right clic on it >save target as
your done...... :)
happy new year from israel
eyal :wave
attachment.php

the best way to load your gun!!!!!!!!!

dont try loading on tummy or hip !!!!!!!
this way helps me load my Beuchat mundial carbon 115 and elite carbon 130

Last edited:
Thanks Mundail, Ive already seen that, unfortunately I have a chest injury that will probably still be sore in the summer so I have to either find an alternative technique or take a season out

Been told by some expirienced spearfisherman that there's a method involving only two arms holding the gun parallel to your arm span. I have not seen a demonstration of that so I don't know how it wroks and if/how much stregth it requires.
Maybe someone else knows it?

Alison i think there are loding assistan devices of some brands. If you can't reach the bands when you put the butt end to your chess those devices may help. Can't remmember which brands has it though.

Problem that I have are eight broken ribs and a cracked Sternum :( I can reach the bands ok its just Im not going to be able to pull against my chest at all for a good while. I remember someone telling me to try loading from my hip, I tried but Ive not been able to manage it so far

Alison - you may be able to try switching the wishbone to a 'brazilian' type which allows you to have attchements to help pull the bands in from a distance....

Glad to hear you are already thinking about getting back in the water Alison!As much as I generally dislike double rubbers on Euro guns, the best option might be to use 2 weaker rubbers ( a bit longer than standard), rather than the usual one powerful one. Since each would be easier to pull back you may find you are able to hip or stomach load
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

dave said:
best option might be to use 2 weaker rubbers ( a bit longer than standard),
rather than the usual one powerful one. Since each would be easier to pull back you may find you are able to hip or stomach load
www.spearo.co.uk
first of all . euro guns cant take 2 rubbers bands like heavy wood guns so its most important to have a good strong pair of rubbers bands !!!
seens the 20-21mm rubbers bands are strong but difficult to load
use a 18-19 mm rubbers bands that are the same as strong as 20-21
but you dont need to use a lot off power to load them seens they are more
flaxible and even faster then the 20-21mm !!!!!!!
i suggest not to take longer ones
but to use a shorter gun (110cm gun-to use a 90cm gun )
that will help you load easy and have a strong gun
b.t.w what gun are we talking about????
alison take care i hope you will get fast to the water but you have to know
that you choose extream sport i think i will wait a bit more and feel beter
before i go spearfishing again if i had an injury like yours.....not just loading
a gun but also swimming !!!
best regards :wave
eyal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT