• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Avoiding snot syndrome????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tania75

Mar 11, 2007
Hi,

Being pretty new to the world of scuba, I am experiencing sights of new divers with plenty of snot in their mask and on their faces. Why is it that this never seems to occur to the instructors? are they snot resistant? is it that the more you dive, the less snot you dispose of? I'm really intrigued, can anyone offer any explanation?? more importantly is there anything one can take to avoid snot syndrome???

Cheers!!

I think, as a Instructor myself (for 1 month now :) ), that this has got to do with equalizing, the more you dive, equalizing gets easier, you use less force or air!
And mask clearing gets to be a skill that one can do without to think about!!
Dont worry...with time you will get to be a snotless diver aswell!!:)
(I used to have a mixture of blood and snot in my mask...) ;-) ;.) ( a joke...obviously blood in your mask is not the idea, sorry if someone has misunderstood me, I meant it in a "silly way")

Last edited:
blood in you mask is ALWAYS a bad thing, and an indication of hard clearing, or the sinus clearingso forcefully blood vessels rupture. you should NEVER have blood in your mask no matter how rookie you are.

snot in the mask is pretty common, no matter how good the seal of you mask is there will always be a small about of water in the nose pocket, this gets in your nose and thins out the mucus, letting it flow down much easier. has very litte to do with experience, I'm pushing the 3000 mark on dives and still end up with boogers at the end of the dive.

Last edited:
blood in you mask is ALWAYS a bad thing, and an indication of hard clearing, or the sinus clearingso forcefully blood vessels rupture. you should NEVER have blood in your mask no matter how rookie you are.

snot in the mask is pretty common, no matter how good the seal of you mask is there will always be a small about of water in the nose pocket, this gets in your nose and thins out the music, letting it flow down much easier. has very litte to do with experience, I'm push the 3000 mark on dives and still end up with boogers at the end of the dive.

Dude!!!, I am Instructor!! I know, I am joking.............

Just wanted to let her know, it is not a big deal, a bit of snot...."diver spaghetti" :)

I am a boogie girl too rofl rofl
but if it gets snotty i blow them out so it doesnt freak me or the student out :yack
(i once had a student who refused to do it, and his eyebrows, eyelashes and the whole lot were layered in greenies :yack :yack )

aaaaaaahhhhhhhh i just had dinner, wost thread to read for me now....

Oh you guys!!

you've made me laugh so much!!
So there is a glimmer of hope for me!!
By blowing out, you mean clearing your mask right?
Is there anyway you can tell if your mask is full of snot?? or do you just have to wait for it to appear on the horizon?? lol

Oh you guys!!

you've made me laugh so much!!
So there is a glimmer of hope for me!!
By blowing out, you mean clearing your mask right?
Is there anyway you can tell if your mask is full of snot?? or do you just have to wait for it to appear on the horizon?? lol

Actullay, if things start to look green....rofl rofl rofl

now i get it greendiver rofl rofl never looked too deeply into your name.... rofl

Truth be told - I think the snot phenomena is a function of water exposure and pressue changes. Mucous production increases to protect the membranes in the sinuses etc. I think cold also increases it. My dive buddy is a veritable snot-fest. He has a beard and mustache and actually relies on it to seal his mask. I told him if we get interviewed by TV types just shutup and keep your mask on. I don't get near as much and it is normally clear.

guys, i'm so glad snot is obviously hazzard of the trade and I will not be vomited upon for having the occassional snoty dive!!!
It's just a bugger if I'm trying to impress someone under water eh!!
Is there any chance that some divers find it attractive???? or am I pulling at short straws there!!! lol

Truth be told - I think the snot phenomena is a function of water exposure and pressue changes. Mucous production increases to protect the membranes in the sinuses etc. I think cold also increases it. My dive buddy is a veritable snot-fest. He has a beard and mustache and actually relies on it to seal his mask. I told him if we get interviewed by TV types just shutup and keep your mask on. I don't get near as much and it is normally clear.

rofl rofl STV....snot tv.....rofl rofl rofl

guys, i'm so glad snot is obviously hazzard of the trade and I will not be vomited upon for having the occassional snoty dive!!!
It's just a bugger if I'm trying to impress someone under water eh!!
Is there any chance that some divers find it attractive???? or am I pulling at short straws there!!! lol

rofl rofl ...some menbers might think....rofl rofl

I think it got to to do whith experience, they know what can happen and cleans themself if they need to befor going up from the water while all other coop with themself for some seconds :) Oh, and it's diffrent for people, I for example never had that problem but some of my more experienced buddies does.

Cheers!

Or, you could just do what I do, between dives, the subtle "Grab & Wipe";

1. Lift mask, grab nose with thumb and forefinger
2. Pull down, twice
3. Discretely rub thumb and forefinger together underwater to rinse
4. Hope nobody was watching

This is especially effective on the dreaded "Pool Snot"!

Todd

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT