• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Avoiding snot syndrome????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
DiverTodd!!!!
At last, some practical advice!! I will give it a go during my next pool visit this week!! I'm probably being paranoid, but better to be safe than snotty!!
Glad I'm not alone in fighting the green disease!!!

I think it happens because of pressure changes and water getting into the sinuses. So if things do get a bit free flowing all you do when you surface is lift your mask close one nostril with your index finger and blow, repeat on other nostril and rinse excess from glove in the water. Much easier and who cares what the other divers think, you get more time u/w for being efficient rofl

I think Linda is correct. The group I dive with 2 instructors and a few DM's, when instructing we all know to take our mask off and wash off our face as soon as we surface with students. If one of us sees another with snot we let the other know cause from the student perspective it is nasty if not funny and distracting. This is probably why your instructors all seem to be snotless - they snot but are just good/quick at getting it off their face ext.

Ofcourse, you get quick at getting it of your face, however I have noticed that if divers get better at equalizing they have less problems with the snot.
When I started I used to use the Vasalva method (like 99 percent probably), with time, without noticing it, I changed to frenzel.
Frenzel is less "EXPLOSIVE", a better and safer method aswell...now I have less "snot problems".

Dairy consumption is definitely a factor - along with a bunch of other stuff.

Yeah - I think snotty chicks are hot :cool:

Greendiver dude!!
I'm confused, vasalva?? Frenzel?? please note that I am new to diving and these technical terms are well beyond my current understanding!! can rephrase them for me in beginners language!!

Fondueset!! I'm yours, lol!!

Reactions: greendiver
mmmm The Frenzel!!!
thanks for the tip, I have had a look at this on the net, first of all I have to figure out which is my epilottis!!! its like being back at school in the biology lab!!!
soft palate in a neutral position???? I'm quite a way off this still at the moment!! Buoyency is still number 1 on my action points!!!
But hey, I can be working towards this, cheers!!! - I might try it in the bath!!

mmmm The Frenzel!!!
thanks for the tip, I have had a look at this on the net, first of all I have to figure out which is my epilottis!!! its like being back at school in the biology lab!!!
soft palate in a neutral position???? I'm quite a way off this still at the moment!! Buoyency is still number 1 on my action points!!!
But hey, I can be working towards this, cheers!!! - I might try it in the bath!!

Frenzel rocks hard.
Eric's document is really good as it also tells You how to locate the muscles You're supposted to flex. And You can also learn to do the Frenzel on dry land. During a rest breat I spent half an hour by the pool learning the frenzel step by step along the document. I must have looked like a complete dork trying to willingly control my soft palate, but in the end everything worked out just wonderfully. And, yes, it will become easier and more effective and efficient with practice.:D
The Frenzel is not just as important when SCUBY-doing as it is when freediving, but it certainly makes equalisation even less of a hassle.

Frenzel mad my life easier when I as a beginner used one hand for the lamp, the other for letting air in and out of my wing and wished I had a third for my nose :)

Last edited:
Sanso!! you have given me hope as a beginner!!!
It must be our German blood!! - well mine is only half!!
Meine Mutter ist Deutch, abler wir haben immer in Rngland gewohnt!!
Meine Oma hat in eine klieing ort in Deutchland gewohnt in der nahe von Berlin.

Linda, I'm quite confused about the wing thing?? are you a chicken trying to equalise??
Bring back DiverTodd with his step by step instructions for those with less imagination!!!

Frenzel is really pretty natural. I worked it out as a kid without even knowing it. (during long winters away from water...) For me it started with learning to sense my eustachian tubes - and to open them vountarily.

Sanso!! you have given me hope as a beginner!!!
It must be our German blood!! - well mine is only half!!
Heheh.. I'm not at all sure that mine is even half :)
My Family is of german origin, but they have lived in Romania for I don't know for how many generations. I think there must be some romanian blood in me as well. Probably even traces of turkish, since Romania was part of the ottoman empire for some time.

Nevertheless, glad know that my looking like a dork helped You. :D

Sanso....... never a dork!!!
I'm gonna seriously give this Frenzel thing a go!!
If Fondueset did it as a kid, I have hope restored!!!! x

Tania, come on :) tell us more about yourself, so far your 11 posts have been on snot :)

Oh Marwan!!! - who's counting eh!!!
I'm not sure who's worse, me for writing 11 posts on snot, or you for counting them!!!
Maybe because my diving isn't up to much at the moment, I have to focus on the one thing I know is happening, i.e snot!!!!
What elso are you wanting to know!!!

nobody's counting HAhaahahahah :) its mentioned right there on the right hand side of every post you make, th ejoin date and the number of posts :)
where are you from, where do you go diving, whats youre favourite place you visited... etc... im not judging, actually encouraging you to join the other area in DeeperBlue, there are many forums, many discuccions etc....:)

As I'm obviosly a women of mystery, I will update my profile for you, hows that!!!!
Too be honest i'm don''t think i'm intellectually advanced enough in the field of diving to contribute to much more than snot discussions!!!
But I've got to start somewhere, right!!??!!

As I'm obviosly a women of mystery, I will update my profile for you, hows that!!!!
Too be honest i'm don''t think i'm intellectually advanced enough in the field of diving to contribute to much more than snot discussions!!!
But I've got to start somewhere, right!!??!!
BTW: I think Your '!'-key is stuck, You might want to put a little lube on it, so it doesn't wear out. :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT