• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Azores spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Don't tell everyone about the Azores, it will get crowded.:waterwork . Then were can I go spearfishing when everyone is in the water :duh . I use to do freediving in Terceira and Sao Jorge. In Terceira there are boats out of Angra do Heroisimo that would take you. The boat runner would be able to explain to you about Portuguese fishing laws which changes daily I think. If you want to spearfish from the shore try the dock off Praia da Vitoria for amberjacks, barracudas, and occasional tunas (yellowfin, albacore, bonitos, serras), from Ilheus das cabras(what I mean was across from Ilheus das Cabras, I've taken pargos,beijas, groupers, and crabs (sapateras?), and my all time favorite place Cinco Ribeiras for mackerels, garopas, what the heck is that eel they make alcatra with, I can't remember, and a lot of moraias

:D . I hope Rui can translate moraias for you.:t

Oh yeah, you can get your fishing liscence from the dock in Angra do Heroisimo, oops up the hill to the Coast Guard building overlooking the dock I mean.:

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi all

i will be in Flores (west group) between 10th July and 15th August. tell me if i can help you with anything.

only a small comentary to Rui: is nice to ear such a words about the islands, i understand you quiet well. but, in my opinion, Flores and Corvo are the most beautifull of all...

Hi Boq,

I will be in Azores between 19 and 28 july. Iam staying on Fail , I hope to meet up with Rui also, I can private message you later to exchange contact details to meet up for a dive.

Cheers

Justin

Originally posted by boqueirao
Hi all

i will be in Flores (west group) between 10th July and 15th August. tell me if i can help you with anything.

only a small comentary to Rui: is nice to ear such a words about the islands, i understand you quiet well. but, in my opinion, Flores and Corvo are the most beautifull of all...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Olá Boqueirao,

Eu estive nas Flores e no Corvo em 2000 durante duas semanas, e adorei!! Gostava de la voltar um dia.
O Corvo é surreal!!:cool:
Quando regressei para o Faial já não sabia atravessar a estrada!!:duh
Em termos de Paisagem e "ambiente" S.Jorge é muito parecido com as Flores mas muito maior e com muito mais coisas para ver. S.Jorge têm mais de 70 Fajãs.

No ano em que estive nas Flores tive azar e havia muito pouco "peixe de passagem" e pouca "isca"...e acabou ser um pouco decepcionante!

--The translation--:D

I was in Flores and Corvo in the year 2000 for two weeks e loved it!! I wish i can return someday.
Corvo his unreal!!
When I got back to Faial I had forgot how to cross the road!!:duh
The landscape and "environment" of S.Jorge it’s very similar but S.Jorge is a lot bigger the Flores with more things to see.
S. Jorge has about 70 Fajãs.

When I was in Flores there wasn’t many pelagics around and very little baitfish...spearfishing sucked!

Last edited:
I forgot to explain what is a Fajã...

Fajã it's a flat portion of land set between the sea and a high clift.
Normally originated by a hudge land slide and earthquake!
here is a picture of one...

Attachments

• 08020016.jpg
    08020016.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 302
Hi Rui

you're right about S.Jorge and i have the some passion than you for the island of the "baixa dos rosais". it's a great place, with a magnificent landscape, very nice people and a lot of big, big fishes :)

i've send you a PM

Hi Boqueirao,

So, you have been to the "baixa"... great spot! It makes you feel tiny doesn't it! I tried to dive that famous pinacle on the south coast of Flores (can remember the name) and also on the "Monchique" rock, but weather didn't let me while I was there.

cheers,
Rui

Hi Rui

i've been on the Monchique rock and "baixa" in late April. i've seen a lot of Seriola, Pargos and... believe it ... Gorazes!!! my dive partner had catch one with about 3,00kgs. when i know how to put a photo here (can you help me on that?), i will show you. but... in late July i have been there too and i've dive with... believe it again... a great blue whale. just there, about 2 miles from the coast and 2 meters from me :)
about the "baixas" in Flores, you talk about "Espirito Santo" or "Escolar" (the name of a very curious fish), "Morros" and some other very hot spots, like the incredible and almost untouchable "João Lisboa". weeeeellll....very nice places :)

Last edited:
sorry, i have already read the rules about images. i supose that if i dont have the image on a site, it's impossible to put the image here.

That's a funny looking fish...... looks like a huge Pinkie or big eye (South African bait fish)

Justin

it's a fish that usualy only can be find never less than 80 meters of deep. i don't know why the school had come so close to the surface, but they are about 30 or more fishes, not just one, ill or something. they are quiet activ, fast and nervous.

Hi Boqueirao,

Nice Goraz...you are right, it’s not common to see then in shallow water except juveniles, really tiny ones. There are numerous reasons for them showing up near the surface. Maybe they followed some "food" up, or there was something bigger lurking below that push them to the surface. :D

I think its was "Morros" pinnacle. About 3 miles heading southwest from Lages harbor. I saw the top of it from the boat but the current and wind was to much that day. I went with a Local friend, he was going to fish for grouper (meros) with "Rod and Reel" and I tagged along.

Munglu,

Goraz is a member of the "Breams" (Sparidae) family
"Pagellus bogaraveo" or Blackspot seabream, its a top table fish here, but the tiny ones are also used has live bait by the Tuna boats.

Cheers,
Rui

Hi Rui

you're like a "compendium", it's all there, in your post, LOL

what's the name of your friend in Flores?

greetings

d.

Hi boqueirao,

My friend name is Vitor from Lages. His mother has a "Tasca" right by the Harbor. "Teresinha" maybe, not sure. Excellent cook.
I met him while look for a "charter" boat, he offered himself, and tag us while we where there.
We where camping (best and cheapest way to discover Azores) right by the Lages harbor near the beach where the Barbeques are. We first went to Fajã Grande (beautiful place) but it was the side of the island more exposed to the wind so we decided to move the house to a sheltered place and ended in Lajes.
We stayed about 10 in Flores and 5 in Corvo.
In Corvo we tagged with the "NautiCorvo Brothers", my friends did a couple of scuba dives with them. What a crazy rock that island is! "Caldeirão" is just outstanding.

Cheers,

Hi Rui
i know the smal "cantina" down by the harbour, very nice food, yes. i use to stay in Santa Cruz, it's my place :) you're right about Fajã: very impressive wild landscape. the first time i had visit Açores, in 82, i had camping too, in Graciosa and it's the most charming way to make hollidays on the islands.
and yes, "Caldeirão" is almost magic, with the ecco of the cow rings. i had catch there, in Corvo, the bigger Seriola i ever had fishing. really great fishes :) and all just right in the blue. fantastic!

greetings

d.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT