• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Back with new gear ! ! !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Originally posted by Mattedhead
Murat,
The OMER 6.3mm shaft is awesome. The barb fits flush with the edge of the shaft due to a recessed area on the shaft itself. It is the fastest/most accurate shaft I have shot because of this. It's also pretty resilient as far as bending goes. I saw Mark get one stuck in a rock while diving and it flexed a ton but did not bend. I think it is a great alternative to a 6mm shaft as it has a bit more range.

matt

Exactly. This is what i hope to get.

Iya,

I know the funny part is diving but rain clouds and teachers don't think like me.

Ivan,

We have calm, warm, blue water but damn fishes don't discover it yet.:waterwork

hi

Murat believe me having awsome blue water like you have there would be a welcome change to diving in 10ft of costal vis. With those small fishes you just need to get really good at stalking them like the Alberto March then when you get to waters with good fish you will slay em :D

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Murat believe me having awsome blue water like you have there would be a welcome change to diving in 10ft of costal vis. With those small fishes you just need to get really good at stalking them like the Alberto March then when you get to waters with good fish you will slay em :D

cheers

so you mean, you don't have blue & clear waters in Australia?

Then what were those videos that i see in blue water hunting international?

:confused:

I expect to find better spots this summer. I am praying for this every night.

Bluewater Hunting is exactly that, Bluewater hunting...:hmm

And its usually offshore, amongst the outer reefs, near the continental shelf or near seamounts. Not close to shore where its dirty due to river discharge.:)

hi

Murat sure we get Blue water when the weather is good but usually very dirty. The videos you see are from the Coral sea this is a reef system way outside of the Great barrier reef ie it is surrounded by very deep water. Some reefs out there have vertical drops from 5m down to over 2 km deep. However unless you go out on a big charter boat its almost impossible to get there these charter boats take up to 24hours to get out there.

Most diving on the inner reefs of the GBR are fairly dirty year round. This is due to our South easterly trade winds wich stir up the waters cos the waters on the GBR are fairly shallow, I could go on all day about our local conditions but ask anyone who lives up here and the vis is not that good.

cheers

yeah Ivan is right... it is very variable up here... I went out to a reef called arab reef... during 20 Knott winds (yeah one guy didn't get out of bed more the 4 or so times over the 3 day trip... fair few others were sick) and the vis was very very good...

Went to another reef thats lets just say got lots of mackeral of it... and the vis there on a 5 knott day varied from pretty average say 10 M to around 30m throughout the day depending on tides ect.

hi

Yeah Rob it sure sucks when its been flat as and you are expecting good vis get out there and its 10m :( , happenend to us last time we went out it had been 5-10knot variable winds forcast for a week or so went out 30miles had 10m vis.

cheers

ps whats the vis like around the costal islands at Townsville

The islands are Really variable... Magnetic island is a real bugger... if there is any wind you can forget it the waters just to shalow and easily stirred... vis on a good day is 10M + on a bad i can't see the end of my gun... off the palms vis is better in places but again I have seen it down to around 5 - 10 meters which can be dissapointing!

hi

10m is good for costal wow, we usually get average of 15ft at my most common spot. Did you get my pm

cheers

yep sent you a reply also :) 10 M+ is an exceptional day... normal vis isn't that good... and I am not a great judge of vis either.. I just work on if I can see the bottom fairly clear ;) lol

Maggie is a hole... the vis there is normally pretty crappy... you just get your good day every once in a while and it is also tide dependant... not a great deal of fish their either.

Palms it just depends which part your off :) and of course tide winds ect.

Hi,

I thought Australia is a heaven for spearing. But it seems its not.

But if the vis is that bad why you have guys meta tech #5, ra 130,110,120, even 150??????

R all of those guns you keep for bluewater? Then what are u using in bad vis costal waters?

Last edited:
Murat aus is not always bad vis... just depends where you are... where i am a lot of creeks ect run off, the water is fairly shallow and there is a fair bit of silt so vis is very variable... depending on which reefs you go to and when I would argue that we have some VERY good vis...

Again it's all variable... and what I call 5 or 10M vis is probly not what some other people call 5 or 10 M vis... and Maggie island happens to have a lot of shallow silty areas surrounding it... hence the low vis at times.

Rob

RA

Murat my advice to you is get a rob allen railgun in whatever length you think is best for your area. These gun are not only cheaper than the omers but are also the most accurate guns around and track quite nicely. These guns with twin 16 pack a serious punch, I heve nothing but good things to say about them.
just my 2 cents:D

I heard the sporasub viper elite is as accurate as a RA, but quieter b/c the rail is plastic so it eliminates metal to metal conntact. Also less than half the price. Just remove the plastic/foam green float.

Do you guys know dealer in europe for RA? If you add shipping it will become more expensive than OMER. So i have to buy whats available in locally.

hi

Rob today I was out Scubaering and we had 100ft vis on outer reef ie could see sand and coral at 100ft from surface so it does get good.

Murat the extremely poor vis were talking about is the costal islands, there is a HUGE difference in vis between the costal islands and outer reef.

The fish life can be incredible just cos its dirty on coast doesnt mean theres not much fish I use a Ra 110 as my costal gun and the 150 for outer reef.

cheers

What you use on 110 double 16 or single 20, 6.5 or 7 mm shaft.
I heard from crotian spero sayind twin 16 with 6.5 mm sahft is much accurate than 7mm (of course with its range). Does anyone gave it a try.

I use a 20mm rubber and a 7mm shaft on my 110 and find this to be an excellent combination. Even at its full range (4m) it still has the power to punch through a 4-5kg fish.

I've used a 6.5mm shaft and 20mm rubber on my 130, but found this lacking in "snap" and the shaft got bent too easy. So I now use twin 16mm rubbers and a 7.5mm Thunderstick shaft. Works great! Especially with the breakaway.

Around here most fish we get are well over a kilo and into the 5-10kg range. A fish that size will trash a 6.5mm shaft. Especially the softer ones that are standard on Picasso, Omer or Beuchat (the only three euros I've had to compare with)

hi

Murat I only use 7mm spears on my guns at the moment. I have tried 7.5mm and 6.5mm, but 7mm with a single 20mm on my 110 is a awsome weapon just like shadow killer said. I much prefer using this small gun then my 150. Ever tried tracking a 150 with 2 16mm rubbers not that easy :cool:

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT