• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

barotrauma. scared

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SpearoPimp

Jun 9, 2004
I was apnea training in a pool only about 18 ft deep and had some congestion and was not able to equalize. Usually i never have problems equalizing in this pool and can do so w/o even pinching my nose. I tried to "force" equalization by pinching my nose. It didn't hurt at all in the pool but on the drive home felt clogged up. A few hours later i was in a world of pain. there was a sharp pain in the ear and a dull pain radiating on the side of my head. I went to the ER and the doctor said my eardrum was all red and inflamed he said i had barotrauma but not what kind. It didn't hurt as bad the next day but still a little and very stuffed up. I had tinnitus already but now it seems to be worse, but i'm not sure if this is a reslut of the ear being blocked (my ear has been blocked up in the past and it allows me to hear the ringing louder) or if my tinnitus has actually worsened. I also noticed some dry blood inside of my ear this morning. does this mean the ear drum is ruptured? or i have heard that this can happen from it being stretched enough for blood to pass through. If you rupture an eardrum does this mean you can never dive again? also might I have actually worsened my tinnitus? I saw an ENT today and he couldn't see anythign b/c there is so much clotting going on but i'm going back on thursday. I have felt slightly nauseous or dizzy since the acciden't but my biggest fear is that the ringing i'm experiencing while be permanent b/c i'm going crazy. Im scared to ever dive again even tho it was my life and i'm worried that this ringing is going to make school and studying very hard.

Reactions: island_sands
Dude, hope that thing gets resolved for you. That's some agonizing shit going on. I've had barotrauma several times and a short course of steroids did the trick. However, your symptoms seem insidious and may reveal something else....hope that's not the case. Let us know how it turns out.

Rolo

ruptured eardrums shouldn't mean you can't dive again - a diving doctor will be able to advise you. I have ruptured and perforated both of mine several times and always after a break of maybe a couple of weeks for a perforation and a couple of months for a rupture, they were fine. Now they are so scarred up they don't pop any more!

S

Give it a rest and you will dive again. However, you'll never be able to put babelfish in your ear. :waterwork

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT