• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

BC Liveaboard freediving trip (BC trip year 5)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
All good at my end; looking forward to a great trip.

Check this video from Browning Pass. If you guys have flashlights not a bad idea to bring them to see the colours down there.

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/23264879]Octopus Feeding on Vimeo[/ame]

Attachments

• viking1.jpg
    viking1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 119
  • alsoling.JPG
    alsoling.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 137
Are there any halibut out there?

Yes there are! Unfortunately I've never been on a good spot to get them. I have seen tails and sand in my face haha.

The anglers get literally tons of halibut up here- I would love to get one on the gun. So good to eat :t

Yes there are! Unfortunately I've never been on a good spot to get them. I have seen tails and sand in my face haha.

The anglers get literally tons of halibut up here- I would love to get one on the gun. So good to eat :t
How deep, Erik? Will there be any rods on the boat?? :p

Wally they are anywhere from 10 metres to 100 metres. I just never see them. The captain is an ex-comm fisherman- he might have some ideas.

Wally they are anywhere from 10 metres to 100 metres. I just never see them. The captain is an ex-comm fisherman- he might have some ideas.
Very interesting... But I guess a guy would need a tag and there are size limits too, right?

Are you bringing a float and line?

Apparently Pacific halibut generally live around 50-90m of depth. If you want to find a Halibut shallow, you need to find freshwater spilling into the ocean, where Halibut are known to be as shallow as 15m.

Checking the record books there is no spearing record for Pacific Halibut. In fact I wonder if anyone has ever caught one freediving before. Of course how you are going to kill the thing before it drags you off down there is another problem entirely.

I think having a float and line is a good idea, there are some big lings out there, would not want to see one and have to pass it up : )
The chances are slim to see one, if you do see one it will be big! The large halibut feed on rock fish and will hang around rock piles feeding. I have never seen one yet, but it would be unreal to see one!!
I will be bringing my rod, can't pass up a chance to get a halibut.

Does any one know if there is a frezer on the boat?
Any one play music?

There is a freezer on the boat!
I have 20 and 30 metre lines but usually dont use them due to tangling in the kelp. I will bring them if others want to use them though.
Yeah I'd be hesitant to shoot anything larger than 15lb Halibut; a float line and a breakaway point. Big flat fish can bend a shaft pretty easily.

Garret I've been a pro drummer most of my life but dont play anything else. Anyone wants to bring a guitar or whatever would be cool.

I'd suggest you guys bring books and cards and stuff; lots of time to kill and chill!

Really disappointed I have no way of making it this year. I have relocated to Minnesota for a year and currently on a work leash. I have been on this annual trip several times before and it has always been a highlight. It is a beautiful part of the world and some awesome guys to dive with. I am back in business for next year's trip and will be ready to make chowder. Have a great time,

Lee

Lee I got your PM; thanks! Hopefully in the future we can hook up again.

So the rest of us are headed up to meet on Sunday afternoon/evening in Port Hardy. I think the Viking will be at the public dock on the north part of town, but I'll get clarity from Ken for sure.

Pete, Gates and me are leaving Saturday AM to head to Kelowna... we'll stay the night and pick up Mike and head early for the ferry Sunday AM. Hopefully without hangovers.

Eric and Garret can you guys send me a text so I have your cel's? 780 709-5051. Then we can communicate on the way up.

The remainder owing is 750$ cash, each. Bring any speical foods/drinks that you need and a sleeping bag/pillow. We'll be in padded bunks. There is power on the boat. I'd suggest books/smart phones/cards for downtime.

Let's dive!

My honour to spend a week with you guys. I had a great time below and topside. The boat was a wreck and the skipper unusual, but other than that a great time.
garret we'd love to get a west island trip happening at some point. And if I left those gloves with someone, keep them.

Cheers,
Erik

Hey Eric,
I eneded up with the gloves in my dive bag, that so much for lending them to me.
Let me know when you want to go to the west coast, this fall maybe?
I am keen, if you wanted to fly to nanimo i could pick you up, and get 3 or 4 day of good fishing in!

Garret

That would be awesome. I'll try to make it happen. Nice warm, 14C water :)

All right, Erik, you can't just whet our appetites with "I had a great time above and below" plus some interesting inferences, and expect us to keep quiet. It ain't nice. Come on, lets have some gory details and pictures before I die of impatience. Same for the rest of the crew.

We are seriously impatient!

Connor

Wally has the video of the dolphins, seals, sea lions, and breaching whales, as well as the GoPro shots of fish being shot underwater....

:D Absolutely awesome trip. Sorry I haven't put a vid together yet... been super busy. Soon my friends, soon ;)

Yeah wally get on her ya fuckin fuck!! ha ha ha.. some of us need to prove to their work associates that we are actually spearo's without getting a facebook accnt!!!!:blackeye

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT