• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beef Jerky or Biltong

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

crusty

Aquatic Soul
Jan 20, 2005
I love Beef Jerky but the price i have to pay for it makes it a luxury item.
I would like to make my own so does anyone have a good recipe for it.
Something nice and spicey

Crusty

OT I know but have you tried making your own Boerwurst?
I reckon it one of the nicest sausages I have made.
a soft roll with some fried onions and mustard and chilli sauce and a grilled boeri = wow!

Hi Huan, it seems every butcher and his dog has a 'Boerewors' recipe now in your local British market town so I have not needed to make any myself. However, I am also spoilt as I get some made for me by my mother & brother who use IMHO the best spice blends. Freddy Hirsch!
www.freddyhirsch.co.za
My choice would be the Cederberg pack.http://www.freddyhirsch.co.za/products/ingredients_main.php?sec=Ingredients&cat=Boerewors+Range
:p
Boere roll with some Mrs Balls chutney on top while taking a stroll through the Amphitheatre flea market on Durban's beachfront. An old favourite pastime!

Regards

you can even buy pork boerewors here in Dubai! :p
and biltong and droewors :p

Finally, at long last, the USFDA has approved a federally inspected version of both biltong and boerewoers. It's available from www.africanhut.com in Laguna Beach. And for the terminally South Africa Homesick, they also carry Castle lager (but no longer the Springbok rugby gear! Sob!)

Last edited:
Maybe they only carry Springbok gear when they win the Tri-nations.
I was told that Paté cannot be brought in the US is that true?
I find making my Own Sausage is much more satisfying than buying it, you can play with spices and quantities to suit your palate exactly.
My mate reckons that I should try making cheese Boere next!
I think Chilli Boere is worth a try. Maybe use some of the baby Deer that I shot too for a gamier taste.

Pate' fois gras cannot any longer be commercially made in California and a few other states with truly twee legislatures but can still be sold when made in more forthright locations. As far as making it yourself, whoinHell is going to stop you, the PETA Enforcement Wing? Imported pate' is, as far as I know, still perfectly legal. The only problem was the (usual!) disagreement with France (over everything). Lots of hotheads stopped buying anything French. Personally, since I'm the only one in the family who likes pate', if I have my biennial craving, I just go down to the store and buy enough chicken liver for a couple of days' supply and fire it up.

Thanks for the Help folks.
Home made Biltong and Home brew beer
Cant wait for summer

Crusty

Huan said:
Maybe they only carry Springbok gear when they win the Tri-nations.
I was told that Paté cannot be brought in the US is that true?
I find making my Own Sausage is much more satisfying than buying it, you can play with spices and quantities to suit your palate exactly.
My mate reckons that I should try making cheese Boere next!
I think Chilli Boere is worth a try. Maybe use some of the baby Deer that I shot too for a gamier taste.

ermmm we did win the Tri-Nations thhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbbbbbb

island_sands said:
ermmm we did win the Tri-Nations thhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Orrrrrrr Sob Sob Sob, Get Stuffed.

Look we have had a Bad few months in Australia, it wasnt bad enough loosing the Rugby but when England beat us in Cricket arrrr the Shame of it all.
Our once proud nation is crumbling and this Sporting demise is tearing at the very fabrice of the Aussie Male Ego.
Its O.K to loose in Rugby because the Springboks and All Blacks are Tough and Nasty and we put up a good fight so its not too bad,
But to loose the Cricket to a bunch of namby pamby oiby toyby, pasty scrawny Poms ( but they had a few South Africains to help out) its enough to make grown men cry. ( we dont or our wifes make fun of us).
Well at least we can still Swim and Surf

Crusty

Reactions: island_sands
crusty said:
Orrrrrrr Sob Sob Sob, Get Stuffed.

Look we have had a Bad few months in Australia, it wasnt bad enough loosing the Rugby but when England beat us in Cricket arrrr the Shame of it all.
Our once proud nation is crumbling and this Sporting demise is tearing at the very fabrice of the Aussie Male Ego.
Its O.K to loose in Rugby because the Springboks and All Blacks are Tough and Nasty and we put up a good fight so its not too bad,
But to loose the Cricket to a bunch of namby pamby oiby toyby, pasty scrawny Poms ( but they had a few South Africains to help out) its enough to make grown men cry. ( we dont or our wifes make fun of us).
Well at least we can still Swim and Surf

Crusty

rofl rofl rofl

Sands, You won the 3N -LAST year. this is 2005;)
You guys put up a good fight though.

Huan said:
Sands, You won the 3N -LAST year. this is 2005;)
You guys put up a good fight though.
But it wasn't all plain sailing for the New Zealanders in the final game.
we had to let them win in the end rofl rofl
wouldn't want Crusty AND all the kiwis in tears :D

...poor Crusty. He's right about the cricket, even the World XI is going to have a go now....sorry about those turncoats helping the english team Crusty....seems nobody tried stopping the rogues using their maroon passports at Heathrow!rofl rofl rofl

Ah well....there's always spearfishing.

.....can't say too much *hushed tone* ....I'm still wary of his mother who was my headmistress at Warner Beach Junior Primary....Mrs Rathbone was pretty good with the cane and ruler!:martialrofl rofl

P.S....Past ill's for us also include Andrew Mehrtens...

SurfnSpear said:
.....can't say too much *hushed tone* ....I'm still wary of his mother who was my headmistress at Warner Beach Junior Primary....Mrs Rathbone was pretty good with the cane and ruler!:martialrofl rofl

P.S....Past ill's for us also include Andrew Mehrtens...

no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy rofl rofl is it the same one i didnt know rofl

and nobody mention Hansie... :ko

I think perhaps the Tri-N drove the price of Springbok gear up higher than the unenlightened NFL-viewing American public would pay. After all, though there a large number of RSA ex-pats here in SoCal, African Hut needs home grown customers as well and Orange County isn't known for the shallowness of its pockets. ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT