• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner: choosing first speargun: clear visibility reef, a bit open ocean picasso vs beuchat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Picasso vs beuchat marlin vs beuchat sport

• beuchat marlin evil

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • picasso magnum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • beuchat sport

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

yulichenlu

Sep 23, 2020
Hello!

I just started spearfishing, graduating from polespear to first speargun.

Anyone has experience with beuchat marlin evil or piccaso magnum rail ?

I dont have a lot of money to spend, and thats the best I can do. Im in Taiwan. Reef/open ocean super clear water.
thinking about 110/100.

Any suggestion? hows the peformance?

Better to go for marlin 110 (safety?) or picasso 110 (stainless steel trigger) ?
What about beuchat marlin sport (100 cm) ? Suggestion for rubber setup?

this is the guy''s website that sells it:
picasso
beuchat marlin evil
https://amdsub.waca.shop/product/detail/520269

Ive been to his store before .

I think best bang for the buck are the pathos laser open pro 100. Reverse mech. I am not sure if the ones you posted are reverse mechs. The pathos reverse mech theoretically gets you an extra 5-10cm so the 100 gun turns into a ~105-110, when in stock these pathos guns are very cheap on scubastore.

Reactions: Mr. X
I've only seen the Beuchat Evil. Looks good, modern spec. and cool :cool: Don't like the name but I suppose it goes with the red colouring.

I tend to avoid Picasso gear where possible. I think some of their spearguns and spears look ok but I get the impression they don't seem to give a toss.

I do however like Beuchat gear in general. Their lightweight muzzle bungee is quite poor, weak but more generally their gear is very good and quite tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiveHacker
I see cost for a speargun licence is 500 bucks in Taiwan (from the advert)! Taiwan seems to manufacture a number of guns for foreign brands, so maybe buying one of those may be less expensive than buying an import.

Hello!

Better to go for marlin 110 (safety?) or picasso 110 (stainless steel trigger) ?

picasso
beuchat marlin evil

I don’t have any of those you mentioned, but there are couple suggestions from reading specs and looking at pistures. Beuchat Espadron Sport has single 18mm rubber, same as Beuchat Marlin. 18 mm can be difficult to load, something new spearos (me including) learn by doing, not by listening. Keep in mind that both Beuchat and Picasso will have stainless trigger mechanisms. How good and how strong is totally unknown. Same about shafts, you never know until a few different of spearguns brands go through your hands. Picasso has 7mm shaft, while Beuchat is 6.5mm. Personally, I would prefer 7 or 7.5mm on a 100cm gun, but I am sure this is debatable. This is also unknown at this point what particular stainless alloy used on Picasso, it could be that their 7mm shaft is softer than chinese noodle when compared to Beuchat. At least Beuchat is inox steel, they mentioned this in description. Now, the big thing is that Beuchat Espandron Sport is closed muzzle with european style screw-in rubber bands. Some people prefer this style, but I personally like loop bands which I can replace when needed from my bulk rubber.

I would say, stay away from Beuchat Espadron Sport. It is cheapest entry level gun and could be disappointing. Barrel is 25mm, while other two on your list have 28mm barrel. On 100cm gun 25mm barrel is too long and guaranteed to warp when loaded by a single 18mm rubber band.

forgot to mention. Picasso Magnum Rail speargun is said to have two 16mm rubbers, it is meantioned in description.. I like it better then having one 18mm, easier to load and more power. But, it seems that guns pictured in the store have only one rubber band. It is not cheap retrofitting speargun with rubbers, keep it in mind and make sure, ask questions before commiting to buy, how many bands it is coming with.

My Omer XXVs came with single 18mm rubbers, they were pretty easy to load, esp. the 75cm. Much easier than the 19mm American bulk rubber loop I fitted to my RA90. For several reasons I think:
  1. Screw-on rubbers have significantly less length for a given barrel length than the equivalent bulk rubber loop.
  2. Euro-rubbers, especially screw-on rubbers, are typically quite hollow (i.e. they have a larger diameter hole through them).
  3. The screw-on French articulated wishbone is probably bit longer than my RA dyneema wishbones.
  4. Flat loading butt vs. rail gun handle.
I would actually suggest a single 18mm band over 2x16mm rubber for ease of loading. But 1x16mm or 2x14mm would be easier. 1x16mm is currently my favoured configuration.

A few modern euro spearguns are designed to handle 3x14mm e.g. Omer Invictus, even 4x14mm. The trigger mech. needs to be up to the task though.

I believe Rabitech and Mako railguns are made in Taiwan but perhaps not sold there? They are quite heavy duty and heavy rubber configurations are common.

Last edited:
Omer make their guns in Taiwan, including their pneumatic guns, could be worth looking at the latter which are being discontinued. OK guns for a beginner and inexpensive (now).

Omer make their guns in Taiwan, including their pneumatic guns, could be worth looking at the latter which are being discontinued. OK guns for a beginner and inexpensive (now).

Totally China, the communist one, except for the carbon barrels which are made in Italy. Quality and precision in manufacturing isn't the highest based on the many types of Omer guns and accessories I have used, sold and seen from Omer.

Hello!

Anyone has experience with beuchat marlin evil or piccaso magnum rail ?

I dont have a lot of money to spend, and thats the best I can do. Im in Taiwan. Reef/open ocean super clear water.
thinking about 110/100.

picasso
beuchat marlin evil

I would NOT consider the Beuchat Marlin at all at this point since it is EoS (end of sale or not being made or sold by Beuchat anymore). You should look at their new more modern and state of the art Hero gun with its beefy SS trigger, first class. The Hero gun with its stainless steel trigger mechanism is top gun and is totally made in France AFAIK.

I wouldn't rule out a speargun just because it is end of line, if it works well, the price is right, the quality good and specification appropriate. A lot of "new" features are fads and not new (e.g. 2x14mm rubbers, roller spearguns, sharkfin spears, Dyneema wishbones). Just more common in mass produced lines now. There have been marginal advances in several areas - such as reverse trigger mechs, carbon barrels, raised handles - but few if any real game-changers. Plenty of very good spearguns and railguns still being sold with few or none of the above new "tweaks".

Reactions: popgun pete
Maybe true in some circumstances but in this specific case, the new product is a much better product overall. It isn't a technological advancement as much as a sturdier, more accurate and more durable product with some technological updates.

BTW, for me sharkfins and dyneema wishbones are superior to notched shafts and metal wishbones but that's for me and in my diving area.

this is a old post already by now XD
this was from 2 years ago. I ended up getting the beuchat hero 110, and i have upgraded to roller, with a roller kit.

Is it any good? (I would think so :))

I would say, stay away from Beuchat Espadron Sport. It is cheapest entry level gun and could be disappointing. Barrel is 25mm, while other two on your list have 28mm barrel. On 100cm gun 25mm barrel is too long and guaranteed to warp when loaded by a single 18mm rubber band.
This may be true but my 2 favourite spearguns are Omer XXVs which have 25mm diameter barrels.

However they have carbon fibre barrels and are only 75cm and 90cm long. The lighter slimmer barrels make tracking close, fast fish easier.

Is it any good? (I would think so :))
Ive been pretty happy with it. Changed double wrap to dyneema line and it increased lots of range. effective range of 5m i think. It can connect fish at that range as long as they dont have thick scales (Like big parrot fish)

Ive been pretty happy with it. Changed double wrap to dyneema line and it increased lots of range. effective range of 5m i think. It can connect fish at that range as long as they dont have thick scales (Like big parrot fish)
Ive been using 14mm rubber though, for hand load. I am thinking of updating to to 16mm soon for more power and range

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT