• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginning

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Zago

Aug 22, 2019
Hi I'm new to spearfishing witch rifle do you prefer for normal budged and easy use.

100cm barrel length euro -style band powered speargun. Alt. Maybe 90cm.

Make and model usually less important than length. Perhaps something Greek or Italian?

(I wrote a fuller reply but it was lost when I posted it, "security error" :( ).

Last edited:
I visited and snorkelled there when it was Yugoslavia. So I am assuming you plan to dive in the relatively clear waters of the Med. But where do expect to encounter amberjack?

I visited and snorkelled there when it was Yugoslavia. So I am assuming you plan to dive in the relatively clear waters of the Med. But where do expect to encounter amberjack?
At the island of korcula now Im on vacation here and i saw amberjacks the third day in a row. Im going on a wild beach where you can go straight to the open see. Here are some octopuses as well yesterday I almost catch a small one by hand. How about an 75cm long rifle.

Are the fish you see close to you or several arm-lengths away?

75cm is often recommended for the relatively poor visibility conditions we often encounter in the UK from Dorset Hampshire, Sussex, Kent, sometimes Devon. Easier to load too. In poor vis. You only see fish nearby.

But if visibility is relatively good, as I suspect it is if you are seeing amberjacks, something longer will be more "accurately pointable" ( hard to explain). It will also be more powerful and have a longer range but will also be harder to load.

80cm spearguns are becoming a common now too. But I think a 90cm speargun might be the best option, if you have concerns about 100cm. Or perhaps you have seen or been offered a 75cm?

Are the fish you see close to you or several arm-lengths away?

75cm is often recommended for the relatively poor visibility conditions we often encounter in the UK from Dorset Hampshire, Sussex, Kent, sometimes Devon. Easier to load too. In poor vis. You only see fish nearby.

But if visibility is relatively good, as I suspect it is if you are seeing amberjacks, something longer will be more "accurately pointable" ( hard to explain). It will also be more powerful and have a longer range but will also be harder to load.

80cm spearguns are becoming a common now too. But I think a 90cm speargun might be the best option, if you have concerns about 100cm. Or perhaps you have seen or been offered a 75cm?
The fishes come to like 1-3meters to jo the visibility is clear like 6-12m in summer only in the evenin is the visibility a little bit less but is still clear so you can see about 4-7m. Which brand do you prefer or recommend?

Some of the fishes like saddled seabream, common two-banded sea bream and others small fishes come even closer like 20cm or less.

For 1m you'd obviously need something short. For longer shots, you would likely extend your arm, say 75cm + speargun 75cm = 1.5m+. So a 75cm gun could handle the range of ranges you mention. Although I think I would prefer a 90cm for 3m.

But you describe relatively clear conditions for which I would likely be thinking more of 90-120cm. Some people take 2 sizes of speargun in the water with them, I usually don't but I did last week after unusual weather and ended up switching from 75cm to 90cm after missing a couple of longer shots; first shot with the 90 was hit, and I stuck with that for the rest of the day.

Brands are a personal preference and I have tried few. I like the design and robustness of SA-style railguns like Rob Allen, Rabitech, Mako, Hammerhead, Orcas. Manufacturer Rob Allen provides great after sales service too, which is more important than you might think. I expect distributor Mako would offer very good service too. But I find them a bit bulky and heavy for the small fish and poor visibility I most often encounter. So I use super- lightweight Omer's but configured by me to be more like a railgun. I like Omer and Beuchat. There are a lot of Italian and Greek companies to choose from. I tend to avoid Picasso. Cressi is usually ok. Some swear by Dessault or Sporasub. I don't know the Greek companies, some look very good but there is one that has put out several poor spearguns. I like Mares gear and some of their spearguns look very good but some had problems.

How about this one. (its an slovenian shop)
Screenshot_20190822_235241_com.android.chrome.png
Screenshot_20190822_235241_com.android.chrome.png

I really like the look of the Omer Cayman range. Adjustable, constant-tension trigger? Excellent choice. I'd like one with a 100-110cm barrel ( carbon or hydro-formed aluminium) to complement the 75 & 90cm Omer XXVs I currently use.

Beuchat Marlin, ditto. :) Would be delighted to own one :)

Is scubastore the flakey on-line seller in Spain? If so, they are cheap but we see a lot of complaints about them ( inc. several from me :( ). I think they are dodgy and prefer to buy elsewhere when I can.

Last edited:
Which online shop do you prefer with shipping all over the europe. Because by us in slovenija are the prices like 2x higher. Btw some tips how to start with this sport.

On-line sellers with a real bricks& mortar tend to provide good service. Apnea.co.uk on Jersey island (not in EU) used to good but prices vary. I've bought from a couple of dive stores in Italy, Mike's Diving in Bristol, Denny diving(?) Up north. Planet dive store were ok for me. There is a French store that is quite good (maybe that is scubaland.fr?). There is one in Paignton, Devon, decent range but expensive.

Spearfishing.co.uk sell Rob Allen gear and are quite helpful. Mako in the USA of course.

How about the Slovenian store you mentioned ( or is it just a local front for one of the big international distributors/warehouses)?

Read the "spearfishing for dummies" articles by Miles on deeperblue .com, then read the similarly named discussion threads (pinned for easy referencing) on this forum. The hunting thread by saspearo is a classic, well worth reading and re-reading (please don't add new posts to it unless you have something new and useful to contribute - there are plenty of other places on this forum to chat and ask unrelated questions and say "cool"/"thanks"/etc. ;) ).

Last edited:
About 13 years and still learning. Some forum staff have much more experience in years and/or dives and/or monitoring the forum. My suggestions and opinions are just that, "take it with a pinch of salt", others might have other opinions/suggestions that suit you better. Surprised others have not joined this discussion.

(y)tnx for the help. If i need some more advice I will ask you if you agree. Now i will wait and check some more shops then next year in the beginning of the summer I will buy one speargun and some clothing (now I have an Omer Alien Blackmoon mask and some beuchat neoprene 2,5mm gloves) I only need new fins. I was thinking about some from beuchat.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT