• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

best computer...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

in what computer manufacturer do you trust?

• Uwatec (Scubapro)

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Suunto

Votes: 61 61.0%
  • Mares

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Sepadiver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • BUddy

• Aqualung

• Cressi

• Dive Rite

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Seac Sub

• Sherwood

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Beauchat

• Dacor

• Tusa

• Blue Eye

• Seeman

• analog instruments

• none of the above

Votes: 10 10.0%

• Total voters
You can use the D3 as a Gauge, but it does not have any deco functions. I have one for freediving and as a back-up gauge. works great!

Willer

I must update the status on my two malfunctioning D3's. One of them has bitten the dust. The battery compartment leaked and the watch is toast. Don't blame me--I hadn't changed the battery in months, and it had survived repetitive 60m+ dives until finally giving out. Well, another D3 rests in peace. Time for a Stinger.

Now if they'd only make a Stinger with D3 software.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I have a stinger and a D-3. I use them both for freediving and scuba.

The Stinger is nice for recreational, single mix, no-deco, nitrox dives. THe D-3 is for everything else. I use software on my palm-pilot to plan out my mixes and deco, then write it down in my wetnotes and on my slate. I dive the D3 and set the Stinger to guage mode and wear it as a back-up.

The D3 has some nice timing features for deco stops underewater, as in it runs in seconds so I don't have to wait for the full minute to elapse before I move up to my next stop depth. This may sound like a small thing, but when you have stops at 10+ different depths, it's nice to be able to move up quickly.

My D3 died on me and I sent it back to Aqualung, through my local divestore, and they sent me a brand new guage- FREE!:D

I also had to send the Stinger back for a battery replacement recently, something that you can do yourself on the D3 or the Misquito.

Jon

I'm with the Sponge Bob boys on this one - the VR3 all the way. You could run it over with a tank, hit it with a missile, or give it to a gomer new user (like myself) and it will keep working. In fact it will make your dive a whole lot more enjoyable as well since it is really visisble - never mind the "octo" game. ;)

Originally posted by caymandiver
Does anybody here know how to use the Suunto D3 for regular Scuba?

Haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Thanks!

Chris, the D# is Freedive only. The Mosquito and Stinger are Fdive/Air/Nitrox compatible.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

did anyone of you had troubles with the Smart from Uwatec?
mine get completly crazy and I had to change it, so here it goes
:head
aude

Uwatec Smart Com and Smart Pro

I don't know how this is handled in France, but both of the Uwatec Smarts of these have been recalled by Uwatec. Call your local dealer and see if you can get it replaced.

@aude: have a look at UWATEC's website. They had, at least here in Germany, an online-formular for their recalls. It worked pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: donmoore
I have used the UWATEC Aladin air X nitrox for 5 years now and have never had a problem with it. It now has about 200 dives on it. I find it easy to use and the info is in large print so it is easy for these old eyes to read. As a matter of fact I just sent it in for a battery replacement. That is the only complaint I have it must be serviced at the manufacturer

they will also have recalibrated it for you.
i went to a Scubapro conference recently and they admitted that they do know that people complain about it, but... they also said that they are not keen on computers where you change the battery locally (like Suunto), they are worried about the seals.
it's also possible that on some older version of aladin computers they will update your software FOC.
at least, here in this part of the world, Scubapro Asia have done with 3 of my old Aladins.
bonus.

Hi to every body

My name is Milton and I am from Panama.

The firts computer used by me was one of the firts EDGE. I like SUUNTO programs and right now my computer is a VYTECK with houseless pressaure gauge or transmiter, is excelent !!!

I what to know what the panel think about the Beuchat, they use the COMEX comercial diving program.

By,

Blue Shark

what about the mares m1 or is that one totally forgotten.
I do quite a lot of trimix diving and i have 2 mares m1 computers witch is set to bottom timing and then just work out a profile on gap. But for normal air diving the m1 is excelent up to 55meters after which the deco stops becomes too long.
what do you guys think about m1

Well From Recent Experience

I was diving in Sudan in February, doing some fairly deep air dives. Regularly beyond 50m

There were in total 3 Suunto's on the Boat. Without exception all failed.

I used a Uwatec Smart Pro, another diver used a Uwatec also. Neither suffered difficulty.

The VR3 diver had problems with the computer freezing up. To stop the freeze meant taking out the batteries on the surface which corrupted or lost the desat info from the previous dives.

The moral of the story is, all computers are great but if you're gonna do anything demanding - plan the dive and take two. Sadly the VR3 divers back up computer was one of the Suunto's that had already succumbed.

Can't wait for microsoft to make one so I can see BSOD (Blue screen of death) at 60m!!!!:confused:

Wireless?

What's the general opinion about wireless (say, Oceanic and Suunto) computers for gas integration?

I like the idea of getting rid of the hose and having all your info on your wrist. But I noticed one poster (a NAUI instructor) commented that you'd never find a computer on his wrist. And was that comment directed to wireless computers? If so, why?

Best regards...

I bought a Suunto Stinger Ti last June and turned it in 3 weeks ago to have it serviced. I did approx. 240 dives before it went crazy. I learned from the importer that he couldn't fix it and he had to send it to the manufacturer in Finland. I guess it will take another 3 to 4 weeks....hopefully! For the rest it's an accurate and easy to use computer, small and you don't need to take it off! ( read: you don't lose it!)

Padi IDCS-955586

Aladin computer service/Smart Pro

ha! in my previous post i mentioned how easy it is to get Aladin computers serviced..

i sent in my old Aladin Pro-Ultra, and my ooooold Aladin Sport to get fixed (they both had the ERR message).

got them back about two months later. the pro ultra had a buzzer and membrane replacement.

after one dive... the Pro Ultra got bubbles underneath the screen and the lcd display went all fuzzy...

nice one Scubapro! so it has been sent back again.. the local shop gave me a replacement to use for the meantime..

Like Stephan i bought the smart pro a few months ago.. got a great deal on it ($375). aside from all the amazing software features, it's so convenient to download, i just use the infrared feature on my laptop, no need to wire it up with the supplied infrared.
The software provides great dive profiles for messing about with and printing out for students' logbooks, with pic from the dive etc..
(yes, i am a nerd, i do that.)

Well, after catastrophic failure of BOTH my Nitek3 AND my Oceanic Data Max Pro at 130' I stand by my previous assertion that a VR3 is still the best computer on the market! Thank goodness for a non flooding watch and those handy backup tables....;)

I use an air integrated Suunto Cobara as main device and a Stinger as backup. Both never failed me so far and I'm glad I have those two Suunto computers.
I mainly dive in a fresh water lake in Southern Germany in dephts up to 50 or 60 meters.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT