• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best way to cook octopus?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Fantsastic thread, what a laugh! I hope to catch myself an 8 legged-sea-dog-horse soon.

Hi JRH, I think you have inadvertantly caught, & eaten the "Rubber" one's that were lost "Overboard" in a container from a cargo ship that was caught in a "storm", on it's way to America.These "Toy's", were destind for "Toy's R us", about 30,000 were lost, so, if I were you, I would'nt catch any more!
hahahaha thats about the only joke here thats funny, those testical jokes are to ballss-ed up:confused:
this is what i did today
poch with 1/2 cup of water in the pot and in addition you can tell their ready when poching when you can scape the suckers off with a knife with a bit of effort. this normally takes about 1hour or 2 for the big ones!
marinate in a little olive oil, very little amout of finely chopped sundried tomarto, finely chopped onion, origano, few finely chopped olives, finely chopped parsly and alot of balsamic viniger to the amount desirded to coat them and a little extra to coat the bottom of the marinating tray, serve cold.
probally could have added wine at some stage

as far as tenderising gos befor poching, clean the guts out(to avoid a occy stomic(puetrad) or ink sack explosion) bash them on a rock(better a big flat, clean, water nearby eg boat ramp) standing up till you can see the suckers coming off
i havent tried the freezer yet but i think its mainly got to do with the freeze and defrost rather than the leave for a week method
so i might to that 3 times and then poach and marinate.

Last edited:
I watched a documentary on octopus and they are amazing creatures.
They can actually work things out and, once they have worked it out, if they are in the same situation again, they remember what they worked out and don't try what didn't work, again.

If you can't work out what I am trying to say, it's probably because you are not an octopus.

Squid, when soaked for an hour or so in Kiwi Fruit is very tender and should work for octopus.

Poida

Heck, I've never eaten a tough squid. Even the giant (up to 200 lb.) Humboldts when cut into strips and deep fried are absolutely delish! And of course if you are a DB veteran you absolutely must top them with Alison's cilantro pesto.

Alison’s Cilantro Pesto

The pesto
1 1/2 cups of fresh cilantro, Firm Packed
1/2 cup of parsley, firmly packed
1/2 cup of parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup of olive Oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cloves Garlic
1/4 cup Pine Nuts, 1 oz

Place all ingredients in food processor work bowl fitted with steel blade or in a blender container; cover and process until well blended. Makes about 1 1/4 cups Pesto. Servings: 4

clean it, separate head and arms.
dress in a TEFAL pan (nicely spiral),with loads of olive oil
cover with every color of pepper/paprika and ognion you can find
add garlic and parikapowder, salt'n'pepper
close
do not open for hour and half

yum

I just can't bring myself to seriously respond to any of the scattered and truely warped conversations that rabbit-trailed off of some poor souls legitimate attempt to learn how to prepare some of the bounty of the sea. Y'all are disgusting, gutter minded, and not socially acceptable. Invites to my New Year's eve party are on the way.

Best options for octopus not to be rubbery are...

Once caught, smash it around 50 times on the rocks or freeze for more thsn a week.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

The good old days of db humour with a smattering of facts LOL

a little oil in a pan with the octopus, a clove of garlic, 1 shallot and a dash of red wine covered on a low heat for 45mins. dont worry about it drying out i releases a huge amount of liquid thats perfect for a stew base or just as tapas

Thanks for sharing guys am new here and this thread is just one of the things I needed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT