• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

best way to subdue a fighting fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
mishu1984, in my somewhat professional opinion (I'm an EMT, so I get to see some pretty gruesome stuff on occasion) that looks pretty real. The placement of the shot is right on or REALLY friggin close to the major artery of the leg, so most likely by the time he got to shore he would be in shock, and would look a bit relaxed, as he's about to pass out. The blood would look very bright red, as its loaded with oxygen unlike the blood you normally see when you cut or scrape yourself, since that blood is only partially oxygenated. The only thing I am curious about is why his bathing suit and/or wetsuit is cut off, and yet there appears to be no EMS personnel nearby. Most likely his dive buddy or a good samaritan would not cut off his trunks for a look at his family jewels, unless he was fishing in the buff, which is just wrong (think about that fish you just speared deciding to take one last bite of revenge :D)

Edit: Scratch that, there are finger marks in the blood, but his hands are clean, not a trace of blood on them. That would definitely make me say fake

Last edited:
Reactions: stevevidar
So now we've become CSI's!!!!:D :D

If you look carefully, you'll also notice that the spearguns bands throw a shadow onto his legs. This is in agreement with the shadow from his body. However, the spear doesn't have any shadow.........

Or maybe i'm going a bit blind!!!:D :D

What you guys reckon, can i give up my day job and become a CSI ?? :D :D :D

Miles

Grabing a Fish

To follow up on what rabi-death has said that it often helps to turn a fish upside down to enable you to grab it and subdue it.

In my experience, this is very true ... for some reason I think turning a fish upside down dissorientates it. Most of the divers I have spoken to have noticed this effect in their fish too.

Reactions: stevevidar
probably does... I know it puts lobsters to sleep :D hehe I would recommend not quitting your day job Miles, unless you like not having enough money to eat, nevermind dive

Reactions: sammydive
Hiya

Turning a fish upside down definitely makes the fish stop thrashing around. I normally grab the tail, then turn the fish upside down, then insert left hand into the gills of the now quietly laying fish and ikijimi with the right hand. Works great!!!

Miles

Lobsters: nother trick

ActiveMatrix ... in terms of getting your hands on Natal crayfish (aka spiny lobsters/rock lobsters) out of their holes, there is also another little trick, that I am sure you have heard of, but other members of the community might find interesting.

Sometimes they are wedged in a hole and you don't have the strength to pull them out in a single heave, because they are bracing against you. If you can shake them slightly, this also seems to dissorientate them, and many times they let go and you can pull them out.

Reactions: sammydive
I will keep that in the back of my mind, in case I ever see one of 'em... Personally I hunt New England lobsters (MMMmmm... YUMMY!) and I just go at night and dazzle 'em with my good looks (either that or my spotlight, I'm not sure) and grab them. Works like a charm!

BIG C said:
hi guys, I am new to spearfishing and will be doing some rig diving around fourchon, la. i have heard stories of spearing fish and have been told to pull in your line quickle and get a hold of the shaft to subdue the fish. i would appreciate any tips on subduing these fish. i have a riffe knife that i will strap to my leg, but am wondering if i may have a problem pulling the knife out while trying to not get dragged around. (it may be hard to swim against the fish if i am pulling on my knife and not able to kick as effectively) what do you suggest as options in subduing these fish? I have heard that some fish it is better to break the bottom of their gills, and others suggest getting to the shaft quickly and sticking the fish in the head with your knife. of courst, i will be shooting small fish to begin with, but would appreciate some tips on fighting and killing fish that may pull more than i am expecting. thanks in advance.

Hi Guys...Lots of great here so i will weigh in too.
If I do not stone a fish I slide my hand down the shaft and pin him against the floppers. Next i lever him upside down with the shaft, which will calm them, and grab the bottom lip(in this case a striper).
I then reach for my wisbone stringer, unhook it and drive trhe point through the soft part of the jaw. I then close the wishbone.
I unscrew the tip, with draw the shaft and secure the shaft and line. If they wake up unruly or make a fuss, I grab the trusty Riffe kniofe under my left arm, and stick him where everyone has said to.

I have never lost a poorly shot fish this way, in fact, i can have them free swinnimng calmly on my stirnger with me for over 40 minutes with a 5/16" hole through their back (amazing). i keep them fresh this way and kill them just before taking my fins off.
Peta may not like it but I have not seen a PETA rep male or female with the gonads to get in the water anyway. The way they throw blood around it may not be a good idea...

Amphibious said:
I favor an Ice pick. It's very easy to use and pierces bone easy. one quck jab in the head, wiggle quickly and the fish is totally motionless.

nice thing about an ice pick is you have no worries about cutting yourself why wrestling with a stuck fish :)

How do you carry the ice pick ? stucked in a vynil hose?

spearinhand said:
in fact, i can have them free swinnimng calmly on my stirnger with me for over 40 minutes with a 5/16" hole through their back (amazing). i keep them fresh this way and kill them just before taking my fins off.

Well may be that work good in cold water. What I found here, specialy during the summer is that the meat is better if you finish the fish quikly. I am pretty sure that more time the fish is under stress (after been shooted) the lower quality of the meat.

I just grab the fish by the gills and finish with knife by the head or by the gills base. I will try the eye :p

my 2 cents

Carlos

i just have a long rope (10m) so when i fire at close range, i just grab the rope, and "try" to get the fish, its even more fun, but when big fish, i better aim at the right spot and at the right distance!!!!

Hiya

I have never lost a poorly shot fish this way, in fact, i can have them free swinnimng calmly on my stirnger with me for over 40 minutes with a 5/16" hole through their back (amazing). i keep them fresh this way and kill them just before taking my fins off.

Having injured fish kicking on your stringer isn't advisable. The distress signals sent out by an injured fish is like a dinner bell for sharks. Best is to despatch all fish as soon as possible. The little blood that is released into the water is negligible, compared to the distress signals the fish sends.

Regards
miles

In Florida grabbing a grouper in the gills is the way to secure him. I've had some big (over 100 lbs) blacks still put up a fight afterwards, but the gills will not crush fingers. Ripping the gills on a fish will also cause him to bleed out fast.
I wear my stiletto high on my thigh, very easy to reach with one hand.

Chad

Attachments

• e-98carbo.jpg
    e-98carbo.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
putting fingers in gills of an decent size dusky grouper here in med. is equal to loosing your fingers or getting stucked and drowned.

Reactions: spaghetti
Murat said:
putting fingers in gills of an decent size dusky grouper here in med. is equal to loosing your fingers or getting stucked and drowned.

I dont know man, i think Chad is talking about a grouper with the steel shoved deep in its head, if you can actually get your hand to the gills it`s because the big fish is allready dying ... if you have any hesitations i think is better to use a gaff ..

dead or a live i won't put my hands in one of those med. sea dusky grpupers gills.

Chad Carney said:
Grabbing a grouper in the gills is the way to secure him. I've had some big (over 100 lbs) blacks still put up a fight afterwards, but the gills will not crush fingers. Ripping the gills on a fish will also cause him to bleed out fast.
I wear my stiletto high on my thigh, very easy to reach with one hand.

Chad

Chad, This is a bit off subject, but do you hunt on scuba? Just looking at the picture mate.

I don't know about Med groupers but the ones in the Sea of Cortez will cut your fingers to the bone with their gill covers. Make sure you have gloves on if you try it out this way.

Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT