• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

bi fins what kicking style

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

This is just a post of interest, I was wondering if others out there are using the same technique as me. In dynamics I use bi fins and swim the first 50m fairly slowly once I do the 50m turn I switch to dolphin kick and go fairly fast for the next 50m. I got this approach from Wal when he used to wear bi fins I think he did around 144m using this style. Does anyone know what kicking style the big dynamic bi finners use, ie M stepanek, S mifsud, T sietas. Ive never seen these guys on video so I was jsut wondering.

Is anyone else out there using this approach?
What are the pros and cons of swithcing to a dolphin kick?

cheers

hi

can you please explain what you mean with dolphin kick? is that like butterfly-style?

sandra

(ps sorry, but i am new to most of these terms)

Dolphins have tails that move up and down for propulsion, unlike the sharks which have tails that go from side to side. Dolphin kick with two fins is like butterfly underwater without the arm movements. Dolphin kick underwater can be ver fast so you can cover a lot of distance in a short time. I is arguably more economical on oxygen that flutter kick.

Hey, it's been some time since your last apearance, no?
ivan said:
What are the pros and cons of swithcing to a dolphin kick?
Guessing:
Pros: spreading Oxygen consumption and lactic production on more muscle groups.
Cons: if you're not as efficient in one of those methods it's better to use only the other one.

Wal should post the answer though.

Hi Ivan, long time to see. Hows diving in Oz?

I'm sure no expert on dynamic, but usually do dolphin first for 25-40 yards, then switch to flutter. It seems to spread out the muscle fatigue. Dolphin is first because I find it much harder to do when beginning to tire. Fin selection also makes a difference. Dolphin is more comfortable, longer with hybrids rather than 2000hfs. Think I'll try it your way for a change.

Connor

hi

Thanks for the responses guys, yeah its been a while since I was here. Connor the diving over summer was awsome back home in the tropics got heaps of fish however unfortunately now im back in the cold of tasmania :waterwork

Im pretty sure that was the reason Wal used this technique to switch to different muscle groups etc and avoid some of the latic acid in the legs. I used to get pretty bad latic acid in the legs from doing dynamics but for some reason I dont get it much anymore even if I use bi fin kicks the entire distance.

One of the main reasons that contributed to the burn feeling was being underweighted. Try packing close to your max without and weights and see If you get the latic acid really early. I tried this and after even 25m my legs were burning because they were fighting to keep my bouyancy under whilst still moving me forward. I currently use a 4.1kg neck weight with no suit which still feels a little underweighted but I cant fit any more lead shot into the neck weight :hmm Im gonna try and do a few different methods this week and see how it goes.

cheers

There is beautiful video in the equipment-bifins forum on C4 80s. It shows both kicks with very good form.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT