• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Black Grouper

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
What do you call the one in my picture then.

Over here they are known as Pointed nose grouper. THe grouper you are talking about is just known as Grouper.

I didn't shoot it. It was the guy on the right in the photo, Carson. The black was over 100 pounds, taken in 147 fsw. I don't know if I would eat one this big because of mercury build up in the meat.

Originally posted by shaneshac
What do you call the one in my picture then.

Over here they are known as Pointed nose grouper. THe grouper you are talking about is just known as Grouper.

But we call them black grouper here:hmm Let me check if i can find some pic.

hi

Awww yeah keep up the good posts boys !! :cool:

Shane 18m and 2:30 is very good are you laying on the bottom to achieve this. I find that if I lay dead on the sand it is much better than TRYING to hover at midwater when really you are still kicking slightly.

BTW is this called Aspetto when you are laying on the bottom.

cheers

Murat, the grouper in the pic, we just call grouper over here.

The one in my pic is a different species. In spain they call it an Abadejo as opposed to a Mero.

Ivan, the 2:30 was doing the aspetto on the bottom. I have never tried hanging in mid-water a la blue water hunting.

Murat is that you in the Pic???

The one in my pic I caught whilst doing an aspetto. It just appeared out of no where swimmimg into the current. It was a real long shot and for a while i thought the shaft hadn't gone through all the way. The shot had gone all the way through though and there was no chance of it getting away!!!

hi

Ill take my guess at that gun as an AB Biller :hmm

Shane have you done any hunting and Aspetto's in 30m+

cheers

I'd like to say yes but I havent been beyond 24 meters.

I see these people with shorter apneas than mine who dive a lot deeper and I can't figure out how they do it.

Although when I'm fishing up to 20 meters I only need about 1 min 30 to recover between dives. Most people i know take longer.

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Awww yeah keep up the good posts boys !! :cool:

Shane 18m and 2:30 is very good are you laying on the bottom to achieve this. I find that if I lay dead on the sand it is much better than TRYING to hover at midwater when really you are still kicking slightly.

BTW is this called Aspetto when you are laying on the bottom.

cheers

I belive that this method is Ambush. The most of the european speros doing it very nicely. I am working on it too. But its too hard for me to do it without weight belt. Water push me up all the time. You can hunt almost every fish by this technique especially Amberjacks and Dentex.

Originally posted by shaneshac
Murat, the grouper in the pic, we just call grouper over here.

The one in my pic is a different species. In spain they call it an Abadejo as opposed to a Mero.

Ivan, the 2:30 was doing the aspetto on the bottom. I have never tried hanging in mid-water a la blue water hunting.

Murat is that you in the Pic???

The one in my pic I caught whilst doing an aspetto. It just appeared out of no where swimmimg into the current. It was a real long shot and for a while i thought the shaft hadn't gone through all the way. The shot had gone all the way through though and there was no chance of it getting away!!!

Yeah they are Mero. I heard this from crotian guy.But i thought that they are black groupers. Our local guys call them balck grupers as well.

Its not me in the picture:waterwork I encountered with it while surfing on the net. I hope this guy does not fet angry. I didn't get permission but i don't know who is he?

Did you shoot it with OMER Alluminium 100? Your setup was 16mm bands right? My next gun probably will be the Alluminium as well. It stuck somewhere due to the shipping. At least my local dealer saying like that. I will use power 18mm, may be i should add second wraps of line. If that 6.3mm shaft has that longrange coz of the minimal friction....

Last edited:
hi

Shane what wetsuit and weight combo are you using to do these aspettos, 1:30 is not long is that counting your breathe up as well as the rest.

cheers

Hey Ivan,

Did you take language course to understand this article:D

hi

Looks like you and me are online :cool:

Nah man I dont understand a single word :duh Although it was cool just to get excited about the possibilty of reading such an article.

Wonder what language it is, my gradparents are Italian so if it is in Italian I could maybe get them to read it to me :confused: Maybe its Spanish.

Btw have you watched those viseos with Alberto yet

cheers

No my player sucks ! ! ! I am trying to find time to watch it wit my cousin. He was a spero too before he permanantly damaged his ear drum in 2 meter of water coz of his sinus :( . He was even more inexperianced than me:(

Will sent you a pm as soon as i watch it.;)

hi

Yeah full details about all the Deep diving and long aspettos would be :cool:

cheers

Yeah...

Previous video that i watched from Stefano B. was full of aspeto. But the images was not much clear. And the fishes was all small. Sorgos and Jacks <1.5kg.

Originally posted by ivan

Wonder what language it is, my gradparents are Italian so if it is in Italian I could maybe get them to read it to me :confused: Maybe its Spanish.

Hi Ivan,
I took a look at it and it's Italian. By the way, if you're still interested in doing the bull run in Pamplona six people got a free ride to the hospital today, nothing really serious though.

Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT