• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Breath-hold versus conditioning

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

snorklebum

Aug 21, 2001
Any thoughts on the relationship or difference between pure breathold training and general cardiorespratory conditioning?

In other words, a cross country runner is essentially conditioning his ability to use oxygen--but this isn-t the same as getting by without or on less oxygen....or is it?

How useful are aerobic exercises for freediving, which is essentially anaerobic?

Or are they two sides of a coin, and the wise diver would alternate normal conditioning with specialized breathhold techniqiues?

Originally posted by snorklebum
Any thoughts on the relationship or difference between pure breathold training and general cardiorespratory conditioning?

In other words, a cross country runner is essentially conditioning his ability to use oxygen--but this isn-t the same as getting by without or on less oxygen....or is it?

How useful are aerobic exercises for freediving, which is essentially anaerobic?

Or are they two sides of a coin, and the wise diver would alternate normal conditioning with specialized breathhold techniqiues?
Hi snorklebum. I am glad for you quastion an I think is one of the most intresting quastions.
Every traininig program begin with aerobic exsersice.Now way that. The aerobic exsercise i going to give you tha the endurance and stamina you need for anaerobic trainning. The aerobic tranning in freediving is not the trainning tha you have to do for deep dives. But is very importan if you wont to procced in anaerobic training which is going to give you deep dives. I have to close my answer hear for the moment because I have a lesson. Soon I would give some more information. By for now.

Aerobic / anaerobic ....

Kewl topic.

IMHO if you do aerobic training you're going to get fitter - in other words, use less oxygen to do a task. You'll aslo lower your pulse - which is also good.

If you do an anaerobic excercise it should help if you've got a generally high level of fitness. So, go ahead and run .... but don't forget to dive !

aerobic condition

Snorkelbum
Everything is better and easier with aerobic conditioning, everything. If you raise your heart rate to 65% of max for 30 continuous minutes, twice a week (minimums), you will see the benefits. Optimum aerobic training for a given task is a very interesting/complicated question.
Near as I can tell, anearobic training comes down to one of my favorite words 'specificity', you get better at what you train.
Bill

Aerobic vs. apnea training

Hi Guys;

The most relevant article on this topic that I have come across is:

Schagatay E, van Kampen M, Emanuelsson S and Holm B (2000) Effects of physical and apnea training on apneic time and the diving response in humans. European Journal of Applied Physiology 82(3): 161-169.

In a nutshell --

Both physical training and apneic training will help extend breath-hold times.

PHYSICAL TRAINING does not increase the 'easygoing phase', or time to the onset of the first 'involuntary breathing movements' - what freedivers call contractions. Most of the change in breath-hold duration after aerobic training is during the 'struggle phase' when you are fighting contractions. This suggests that after aerobic training you are better able to psychologically endure the discomfort of apnea.

APNEA TRAINING enhances the diving response and extends both the pre- and post-contraction times - meaning both physiological and psychological changes are occurring.

I belive Bill suggested that SPECIFICITY was the key to success . . .

Cheers,
Pete

If you're too out of shape to snorkel, you probably won't be a good freediver. In that respect, I agree that aerobic training is definitely beneficial to freediving. To what extent? No one really knows.

Besides, cardio is good for you and will help you live a longer, happier life. That's kind of important too, right? The AHA recommended 30 minutes, 3x per week of aerobic exercise (50% of max HR) is probably plenty to establish base fitness for freediving.

That having been said; as any long-time diver will tell you, the best training for freediving is freediving. Like many have said before me, SPECIFICITY is key--the more diving you do, the better you'll become. Any other type of training will help make you an all-around athlete. But to become a better freediver, go diving!

Last edited:
now folks, thats all nice and dandy if you can go dive but what about some guy like me that get in the pool once a week for uwh.

i do go to the gym 3-4 time a week (usually, though i have slacked off lately because of exams and projects and volunteering and the like) anyway what workout should i be doing in the gym. i already do most of the exercises but are there any i should be focusing on.

oh and i also do alternating: static and dynamic (apnea walking) dry practise

thanks

I'm in the pool 3 - 4 times a week.. the thing I miss the most is getting to feel the sensation of the pressure while diving.. and so my comfort level at depth is going to be affected somewhat...and comfort means less use of oxygen. I can't wait for summer to get back to depth.... Any aerobic exercises will eventually lower your heart rate and that's not all bad. Obviously, the better shape you are in, the more efficient your use of oxygen, and aerobics will get you into shape. Being in fair shape, I believe that conditioning yourself to deal with the buildup of carbon dioxide and to get comfortable diving is at this stage of the game much more benificial than aerobic exercise in extending bottom time and apnea times. My conclusion, if you're in fair shape, aerobics, as they relate to freediving.. not so important.

Fred

You can give to your chest pressure.

Originally posted by fjohnson
I'm in the pool 3 - 4 times a week.. the thing I miss the most is getting to feel the sensation of the pressure while diving.. and so my comfort level at depth is going to be affected somewhat...and comfort means less use of oxygen. I can't wait for summer to get back to depth.... Any aerobic exercises will eventually lower your heart rate and that's not all bad. Obviously, the better shape you are in, the more efficient your use of oxygen, and aerobics will get you into shape. Being in fair shape, I believe that conditioning yourself to deal with the buildup of carbon dioxide and to get comfortable diving is at this stage of the game much more benificial than aerobic exercise in extending bottom time and apnea times. My conclusion, if you're in fair shape, aerobics, as they relate to freediving.. not so important.

Fred
This was something I was thinking.And if you want you can do something about the pressure you can found in some meters with your lungs full. You can go to the deep site of your pool. Exhale and and you will feel that pressure. Because I dont know how deep your pool is and in what depths you reache in the see I would advise you to exhale a half of your air and start moving slow to the bottom. your feelings are going to show you the raight way .

what about this.

Originally posted by SASpearo
Kewl topic.

IMHO if you do aerobic training you're going to get fitter - in other words, use less oxygen to do a task. You'll aslo lower your pulse - which is also good.

If you do an anaerobic excercise it should help if you've got a generally high level of fitness. So, go ahead and run .... but don't forget to dive !
SASPEARO with aerobic training your body learn to use the o2 with the best way.With a high Vo2max (maximum consumption of o2 in min or sec ) you can produce more work with less fatigue. This heppes because your body have the ability to transfer and consume more o2.So is not going to use energy for the anaerobic path. This is very nice for the start but what happens when tha o2 is in low prices.Then your body need energy to keep on moving.Were is going to found that energy with low prices of o2. So is going to consume the o2 tha remain and at this moment is importan for your brain to keep working . The result salow water black out.If you have strong anaerobic lactate system the needs of energy for your muscle are going to grant for the anaerobic lactate system.And the result is going to be more energy for your brain. Whay is so important? Brain can't use energy that produse the anaerobic lactate system.He can use only small amounts .To keep working needs the feel safe that it haves the right quantity of o2 . As you see the only way to leave more o2 for your brain and not for your muscle is this.Your muscle can working with out o2 much longer fot your brain and longer than you believe.

You can stay feet .

Originally posted by thin_air
now folks, thats all nice and dandy if you can go dive but what about some guy like me that get in the pool once a week for uwh.

i do go to the gym 3-4 time a week (usually, though i have slacked off lately because of exams and projects and volunteering and the like) anyway what workout should i be doing in the gym. i already do most of the exercises but are there any i should be focusing on.

oh and i also do alternating: static and dynamic (apnea walking) dry practise

thanks
But you can't expect more. Your training in the gym is useful but is not a primary training for diving. This is a result tha comes from the enviroment that you dive and this is water. Thats mean that you have to learn your body how to use the energy with the best way so you have maximum output power with minimum input power. if This wasn't true any athele who training his self hard and loves water could dive in grate depths. Like the cross training athletes.with so high levels of Vo2max endurance and stamina could be the bests in diving.But they are not. Whay? Different environments different moves they can use all that good prospectives in the water. Particularization is the key for all sports.

I'm with Bill. Get an overall level of conditioning, then zero in on the whats and the hows to fine tune your efforts.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT