• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

C4 Graphite Accuracy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hugo63

Apr 21, 2020
I had a graphite 116 for 9 months now and I can’t get it to shoot straight. Even close shots will miss the fish
I tried different settings and currently use 2x 14 mm and a 150 Rabitech spear.
Any graphite user could help me regarding bet setting for them?
I had Riffe gun and RA roller and my technique was ok, I can’believe How many fish I missed in the past 3 months

Reactions: Mr. X
Going everywhere. Even close shoots go everywhere, I missed fish at 1-2 m, unbelievable !!

The gun is new, 2 x 14.5 mm micro bore , 7mm shaft 7 mm.
I can’t get why it shoots so badly. I am not a newbie, 20+ experience in spearfishing...

Have you rigged the shooting line properly? I have an Urukay and the line has to be wrapped in a certain way. If the spear tangles in the shooting line then the shot gets pulled up and can go off course, but as things happen so quickly you don't see it. If you use a tabbed shaft then there is more chance of a problem if the tab catches the line across the muzzle than if you use slotted shafts. Try shooting with just one band cocked as an experiment to see what happens.

I have no fins on my shaft, but yes it could be that. Do you use thick mono or dyneema on your gun? I used to have dyneema up to the spear but I might be missing only since I moved to 400pds mono ?

I have no fins on my shaft, but yes it could be that. Do you use thick mono or dyneema on your gun? I used to have dyneema up to the spear but I might be missing only since I moved to 400pds mono ?
I use dyneema as mono is too easily damaged where I usually dive, plus the shooting line and reel line are the same on my gun.

I followed the guide line on the C4 website
Is roue Urukay accurate? I suspected the absence of rail to be the cause but it’s too often over the place now. Will try to reset with dyneema only and test this weekend.

i am in australia too (sunshine coast) How do you damage your mono? on the reef?

I followed the guide line on the C4 website
Is roue Urukay accurate? I suspected the absence of rail to be the cause but it’s too often over the place now. Will try to reset with dyneema only and test this weekend.
Yes, the Urukay is reasonably accurate as I usually hit what I aim at, but I don't go for long distance shots and stay within 20 feet. Mono gets damaged on rocks and marine growths. If you want to gauge how sharp marine encrustations are then just run your watch crystal over them!

Spear ok? Straight (roll test), barb sitting and opening/closing ok, tri - cut point sharpened symmetrically?

New Rabitech spear. No problem with the barb but I will add a nose cone. Tested yesterday on a target at 3 m, (10ft) and could not hit it !!ostly going too high, sometimes on the right.

Reactions: adriannaja
If the gun has no rail then that spear is too sort. Try 160. If that does not help, try a 170. Easy way to check, when the gun is unloaded, move the rubbers under the gun so not resting on the spear, slack off the line, then look down the spear from the tip. If there is no rail, you will see the middle of the spear sagging. The extra length from a longer spear out the front will help lift the middle.

I wouldn't do that. It might already be over powered. Can also be the problem. Make one change at a time to know what works

I mean I will also try with different rubbers, but not at the same time as a different spear. Different length with thicker rubbers.

The Graphite has a rail running about half way along the gun from just in front of the sear box and a short guide section at the muzzle for the spear to rest on. The Urukay is similar, but the track runs further as the bulbous part of the body extends further along the stock than the Graphite which slims down significantly after the mid-way point. This is to increase the swinging ability of the Graphite gun from side to side.
GRAPHITE.jpg

A better view of the track. Actually the track is longer than mid-way, but may vary with the different length guns in that model.
GRAPHITE TRACK.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, so it has a rail. I think it's over powered then.

Last edited:
The rail on my Grap is pretty much flat there is no real guide and it is actually make loading more complicated because you have to guide the spear right into the handle and sometimes you have to try several times, not easy when the surface is a bit rough , or when you’re drifting in a strong currant. The only real guide I see Is at the muzzle and it’s 10 mm long.
Regarding possible overpowering, I used the recommended length of rubber from C4:
610 and 630 mm of 14.5 mm for a 120cm gun.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT