• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

C4 Graphite Accuracy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
HA! Bill I love you long lost brother from another mother. Some things, like your posts, never change:p Why why why why....
In one sentence (which is hard for me to do): Carbon fiber is lighter, homogenous in nature therefore unvaried by temperatures and the environment, requires no maintenance, and most importantly it's stiffness to weight ratio is better than wood or alloy.
- that being said I love my teak and carbon hybrid guns more too because I shoot big fish and need the backbone

Reactions: Kodama
. In the meantime I am looking forward to playing with one of the new Gladius's underwater and sharing my videos on this Forum first as I enjoy the dialogue again. Clear waters.

Once you receive your Gladius please start a new tread and discuss its performance.
I should receive mine in a week or so and will join the conversation. Probably get some pool time with it soon to try out the factory so but i will have to wait until June before i can get take it out to the sea.
@ Hugo. Let is know how you like your new gun once you have it.

Reactions: Mr. X
In one sentence (which is hard for me to do): Carbon fiber is lighter, homogenous in nature therefore unvaried by temperatures and the environment, requires no maintenance, and most importantly it's stiffness to weight ratio is better than wood or alloy.

I know I'm beating a dead horse Mark, but what else to do while quarantined? :)

Lighter? I though we always wanted more mass to counter recoil.

No maintenance? I know two guys including Mark Barville who prided themselves on their Riffe Islands looking like bleached driftwood because they never touched them with a drop of oil. I do rub a coat of Tung Oil on once or twice a year, but that is not too great a burden.

I know another guy who is retiring his Riffe Island after 30 years. I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it but apparently its coming apart. Thirty years is not bad but he isn't going to carbon fiber. He has ordered one of Daryl Wongs new all wood 61" Mahi guns.

Stiffness to weight- sounds like that didn't happen with the gun that started this conversation.

And as I said before, I can and do drill holes wherever I want in my wood guns.

Now I'll crawl back in my hole and open a beer. :)

Most of my band guns are wood, but where carbon fiber helps is in high handle rear grip euroguns. There the top deck become very thin and has to be augmented by strength coming from the trigger finger guard. Otherwise the rear handle would cantilever and twist busting the gun through the thin deck section. Guns like the small Cayman could get away with plastic with moderate band loads. Once you load up the gun with 3 thicker bands, say 16 mm, then you get a lot of load through that area. Euroguns started with alloy rear handles, so the lack of strength problem never arises there.

American guns have deeper stocks so you don't have such inherently weak points in the gun, plus you have a real cocking stock, not a tiny tab at the rear.
thin sections.jpg

champion handle RHS.jpg

Wow, glad to hear it’s not only me having these issues. My friends and charter guide I fish with often, keep telling me to learn how to shoot. My reply is I’ve never had a problem with accuracy before I bought my C4 Graphite. I’m making some changes and holding out hope, but I honestly don’t have much. It’s incredible frustrating to take the time and run 40 miles off shore to miss fish all day. Thank you for all the info on this thread! I’ll see what changes I can make.

Wow, glad to hear it’s not only me having these issues. My friends and charter guide I fish with often, keep telling me to learn how to shoot. My reply is I’ve never had a problem with accuracy before I bought my C4 Graphite. I’m making some changes and holding out hope, but I honestly don’t have much. It’s incredible frustrating to take the time and run 40 miles off shore to miss fish all day. Thank you for all the info on this thread! I’ll see what changes I can make.

Hey mate, you aren't alone. I made a few changes as well that I can show you later, I have to test it before. Basically we changed the rubbers position so they start from under the gun. My gun shaft was too soft, it was bending when loaded and shooting everywhere

Hey mate, you aren't alone. I made a few changes as well that I can show you later, I have to test it before. Basically we changed the rubbers position so they start from under the gun. My gun shaft was too soft, it was bending when loaded and shooting everywhere
Please let me know what changes you made and how they worked out. Thanks!

I am going out tomorrow and will take my Graphite. I now use a Gladius 115 pour le reef Will post photos of the modified setup

Reactions: BEBtwin
Hi Hugo. I understand that you've managed to get C4 to replace your Graphite with the new Gladius. Are you happy with it? And how did you get them to change your gun? Was wondering if I would be able to get my Graphite 116 changed to the new Gladius as well. Thanks.

Hi Hugo. I understand that you've managed to get C4 to replace your Graphite with the new Gladius. Are you happy with it? And how did you get them to change your gun? Was wondering if I would be able to get my Graphite 116 changed to the new Gladius as well. Thanks.
yes , I'm happy with the Gladius. It's superlight and accurate, perfect for reef hunting. They aknowlegded there was in defect in my gun and proceed to an exchange. I had the Graphite for less than one year.

yes , I'm happy with the Gladius. It's superlight and accurate, perfect for reef hunting. They aknowlegded there was in defect in my gun and proceed to an exchange. I had the Graphite for less than one year.
How did you show them that there was a defect and what was the defect exactly?

i used to own several c4 guns including 3 graghite . i had the same problems, no matter what shafts and rubbers i tested.
there are some very obvioesly BUGS in this gun :
1 ,the line release will hit the end of the spear when it release the monoline , it is very stupid design
2, the muzzle is also a BUG , the rubbers will jump up while they goes to the muzzle , the shape of the muzzle is very stupid too
3, the muzzle stand out too much , monoline will tangle on the muzzle very often
i sold all C4 spearguns after i did a lot of tests and watched the slow motion of these testing videos carefully

Reactions: Gofaris
I do some modifications (rubber, muzzle and rail) to make my Graphite 83 as accurate as my new Gladius 95. Graphite is a beautiful gun. Don't want to waste it.

Attachments

• Graphite3.jpg
    Graphite3.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Graphite2.jpg
    Graphite2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Graphite1.jpg
    Graphite1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 73
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT