• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

C4 URUKAY 120 Help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

acevedo joseph

Feb 25, 2006
I’m going to but a C4 Urukay this week:) and want to ask
Advice of DeeperBlue Spearos ,

1., What Brand Line , and What Mill due you use for your reel

2., What Size Shaft ,
Length and Diameter
Tahitian flopper or Slip Tip

3., Bands , How Many and How Long

4., Shooting Line ?? Mono , cable , or ??

any other helpfull Hints ??

Thank you Sincerely Joseph Acevedo

Have you tried to ask our forum member Nata? Her father is C4's owner and product designer: a first hand source for your questions....
You may search for her in the Deeperblue members list and send her a message. She will help.
If it was my own gun I'd fancy to rig it with 7mm double flopper shaft with sharkfin tabs, two C4 Superelax circular bands and Climax line both for the spear and for the reel, with 2 crimps (not one) at both ties, and strong bungee-swivel coupling.
But before doing anything I'd ask advice to C4...
Drop a line to Nata!

Thanks Spaghetti, Yes i sent Nata a Pm She directed my to Mr Lemeni
the US rep ,

But id realy like to hear from More Spearos that spear with the urukay ,
Here in CA we realy trick out are Wong-guns with Spectra Sliptips , Mori wish Bones,wood Handles ETc ETc

Thanks again Joe

Have you tried to ask our forum member Nata? Her father is C4's owner and product designer: a first hand source for your questions....
You may search for her in the Deeperblue members list and send her a message. She will help.
If it was my own gun I'd fancy to rig it with 7mm double flopper shaft with sharkfin tabs, two C4 Superelax circular bands and Climax line both for the spear and for the reel, with 2 crimps (not one) at both ties, and strong bungee-swivel coupling.
Drop a line to Nata!

Spagetti , is this the Climax line:confused:

Our Products

if so what Size Dia , also could you post a Picture of your URUKAY :cool:
Fully Rigged , Thank you ,,,Joseph Acevedo

......If it was my own gun I'd fancy to rig it....

I'm afraid I'm not owning a Urukay. I use C4 Monoscocca, rigged in a very mediterranean style with a single set of 19mm latex, 6,5mm double flopper shaft, Seatec "Smoby" wishbone, Omer black monoline as a spearline and dyneema for reel line.
The Urukay is a different category of gun, designed to endure the strong punch of multiple bands and obviously requires a stronger set up.

To give you an idea, I post you a link from an italian forum with pics of an Urukay fully rigged. Looks like it has two 17,5 bands, a double fopper 7mm shaft, 2mm monoline and spectra reel line. I hope this link will work for you:

bluworld :: Leggi argomento - vendo URUKAY 120

Drop a line to Nata!

if you use bungee you will lose longer range so you will be sticked to 1 wrap range, right ?

Hello i have the same problem i got c4 urukay 120 and i dont know the set up and Can not find any manuale somebody know or got any picture? Mvh ante
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi ante,

You have purchased a very nice and powerful gun. What kind of fishing are you planning to do with your 120?

I have an Urukay 105 and an 120 and my preferred set up for both include using 8mm shafts (or 7.5mm at a minimum since 7mm is way too light for this gun) and three 16mm bands.

The thicker shaft will allow for increased penetration at longer distance (or 5 meters plus range), which is the type of shot this gun excels in. The three 16mm bands are way easier to load than two 17,5mm bands and provide more power for longer distance shots.

For the 120, the size of the 8mm shaft I use is 160cm. The length of the bands should be around 65cm. I use dyneema cord for the wishbone and prefer to use a shaft with full tabs to load the wishbones to (see photos for reference). If you are in the U.S. or have access to Riffe products, they make a good 5/16 (8mm) euro shaft for the Urukay. The size you would want in inches is 63 inches. For my guns I use a South African spring steel shaft sold by Florida Freedivers (see photos).

I always setup my guns with mono shooting line, and for the Urukay I use 2mm mono shooting line and would not think of shooting this gun without double wrapping the line. For the reel line, any dyneema line around between 1.8 to 2mm in diameter would do. Just note that after you install it in the reel the line should not go through the two posts on the front of the reel. Rather, C4 tells us to pass the line through one of the side springs (see how line passed through steel spring and not posts on second photo).

Lastly, if you have not come across this yet, here is how you should properly wrap the mono on the Urukay: C4 Carbon

Another hopefully useful advice. When I first got my 105, it took me a few dives to get used to shooting fish from double the distance I was used to. But once I got the range dialed in, I fell in love with the gun's power and precision. So much so I also got the 120. If you are used to classic euro tube guns, you may experience the same adjustment period.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Claudio

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 714
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 778
  • KJ  3-Tab USA HF.JPG
    KJ 3-Tab USA HF.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 633
  • 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:
I have a Urukay 120 and I having many problems. The loop is always bunching. I have lost more than 3 arrows and almost lost the gun.

I need help from someone who has experience with this weapon.

The C4 team sent me pictures with the loop, but yet this bunching in rubber.

I am totally without confidence in Urukay.

Has anyone had any similar experience?

Thanks.

Lost 3 spear? Sounds expensive Why don't you just go to the C4 website and ask them? Claudio's link above is bad, try this: http://www.c4carbon.com/

loadimage.aspx

They have photo instructions here: Urukay - C4

e.g.

03.jpg

04.jpg

07.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

Admittedly, it looks more involved than on other spearguns. Actually, it looks rather excessive - it's got a reel for heaven's sake, why would you want to wrap thick, ugly para-cord line all over the super-streamline carbon fibre gun, when you could just wind it onto the reel? :confused: Interesting to see one of the rubber holes being used as the muzzle line-guide for the reel.

If you *carefully* follow the 12-image sequence shown on the website it ought to work - if it doesn't then it sounds like an issue for C4 to resolve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Yes. 3 spea rin one day.. Very expensive.
I've got in touch with the C4 and they just passed me this loop. I think the return of the rope is parallel to the rubber, disrupting the shot.

I'll try alternatives in the pool today. At sea only after hit.

Beleza Leo?

I have a good amount of experience with this gun and am happy to help a fellow Brazilian. :friday

I the same gun and never had it bunch as a result of the shot.

Can you describe your setup? How many bands are you using (include thickness)? Do you use monofilament line for the shooting line? Are you double wrapping the shooting line?

In any case, as with all C4 spearguns, the trick of loading the Urukay is always in the muzzle. You should always double wrap this gun.

The first pass of the mono line around the muzzle should go from top left side of the muzzle to the bottom left side then loop around the line release. The second loop around the muzzle should go bottom left to top left.... simply pass the line the second time around from under the bottom left side of the muzzle to the top, then loop the line around the shaft to secure it with the mono and under the right side of the muzzle.

It will make better sense when you see the photos. The link I posted earlier no longer works because the C4 site was redesigned. Unfortunately, they do not include the instructions on how to load the Urukay on the new site. You will notice that the photos Mr.X posted above are for the Mr. Carbon setup, which is the same in concept but looks different since the muzzles are different.

I happen to have the original C4 instruction photos of how to load the Urukay at home and can post the pictures here later.

Cheers,
Claudio

Last edited:
Claudio,

Sorry for my English. The Google saves something.

Can you send me your email address to write in Portuguese? Once compiled in English to help others.

My setup is:

2 band 17mm
shaft 170cm ou 160cm - 7,5mm
I use nylon or dyneema for wrap the shooting line (anyone work).

I know the photos. Alessandro (C4 staff) sent me all the details. But even so this bunching.

I think the big difference is that the return line runs parallel and close to the rubbers. When we shoot, the cord emboli in the bands. In other weapons, the strings return out of bands.

That's strange... I have my Urukays set up with three 16mm bands and a 8mm shaft and the bunch up of the line has never happened to me. Do you use spectra/dyneema wishbones? I find these work best for this gun, rather than any metal wishbones.

I'll send you a private message with my email address if you want to continue the conversation in Portuguese. In the meantime, here are a couple of photos I took of how I wrap my Urukay 105.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 655
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 629
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 654
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 633
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Claudio,

The only difference to your loop, I did not step into the hole from the tip of the gun when it leaves the reel. I pull to the left, lock step, go back and loop to hold the arrow on the latch and come back again, returning to reel. Use a bungee to stretch more. Is this the big deal?! I do not think so ...

I could not entirely surmise how differently you are wrapping your line. But if it is different than on the my photos, I recommend you try the exact setup as mine. It exactly what C4 recommends for this gun.

Where do you have the bungee positioned? It could also be contributing to the tangling of the line. There is no need to use a bungee on this gun. The double wrap of the mono gives it plenty of distance for the shaft to travel without tugging the line at the end.

Also, if you are using the bungee to ensure the line is tight around the line release, a lot of C4 enthusiasts in the Italian forums recommend not putting too much tension on the mono line as it is wrapped around the gun. The more tension you put on it, the more the chances that it will interfere with the shaft as it is released by the trigger mechanism (since the tension would exist only on the left side).

Instead, after the gun is wrapped around the line release twice, you can simply play with the tension of the reel to keep the mono slightly tight... just enough not to escape loose from the line release by itself.

Cheers,
Claudio

Hi guys! I wonder seeing this old post if someone tried to modify and install something like this in the Urukay to pass right through the monoline or dyneemaline ? Thank you.

beuchatlineguide2__81555_std.jpg
lineanchordarylwong2__97441_zoom.jpg
riffeshackle2__45870_zoom.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT