• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

CAFA WRC May 2004

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Originally posted by efattah
Other than Stig's 166m, the second best no-fins swimmer ever is 138m by Herbert (correcT?)
Maybe officially. Bevan posted about 150m no fins. I think it was one of his only long dynamic tries.
He posted a link to the SA AIDA site where they have a video, but I didn't manage to play the file.

Pezman,

Doing a "record"-distance in your own pool with friends is quite a bit different than doing it in a competition setting with a countdown and all the other pressures and factors that come to bear. Many would be records are fouled by the small details like rules, extenuating circumstances, and uncontrollable variables.

For instance, Eric pulled up at 122m in dynamic (only a few metres from my previous record) not because that's his limit, but because he felt like throwing up. Thankfully, ...... he didn't.

My new national record is nothing special when you consider what other people have done. Hell, I'm still a long way from Herbert's 138m no-fins record, never mind 166m--and I'm using a monofin.

Neither Eric or I did any training for dynamic this year. I would say the majority of experienced divers do not spend much time on dynamic, simply because it usually doesn't count towards national team qualifying. I would like to train, because I find it such an enjoyable discipline. But with having to train for static and constant, there is not enough time.

What was most exciting about this competition, in my mind, was the number of personal bests in all disciplines, and especially the number of local divers who made the turn at 100m in dynamic. I have a feeling that 131m won't hold for long!

This was one of the most enjoyable regional competitions ever, with beautiful weather, great people, and lots of fun. With USAA getting more and more AIDA judges certified, there's likely to be a comp in your neighborhood soon.

Cheers,

Pete Scott
Vancouver, BC

Pez,

I was just diving with the Ottawa guys on Saturday, and it seems there will be about 12 or so, but it's really hard to say this far in advance. The quarry is beautiful though, and already starting to warm up! There will be a thread posted here shortly re: the Eastern Regionals.

Congrats to everybody on the WRC! Wish I could've been there! Maybe the Nationals... :D

Aaron

Last edited:
Hi all,

Photos from last weekend's competition are now on the CAFA website.

Special thanks to Greg Fee, Peter Satitpunwaycha and Calvin Hass for providing the photos. Peter also took several portrait shots of the new competitors for their stats pages which show all official performances these competitors have completed.

Tom Lightfoot

Webmaster http://www.freedivecanada.com/comp/results/may2004wrc/

On behalf of the DeeperBlue.net Crew i'd like to congratulate all the competitors in the event and of course to Kirk and the CAFA organisers!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT