• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

California licenses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks ic, my first dive of the season here in norcal, everyone stay out of the water, rookie with bazooka about.

Just don't use the inflatable kayak at Monastery...:blackeye rofl with your speargun strapped lengthwise to the kayak, unless you want to end up with a deflatable.

Back Again

Hey guys! Spearfishing is becoming a more likely prospect at the moment, as I'll be living at the coast (probably) this summer. However, after re-reading this thread I realize that there's something I don't yet understand. Does the freshwater/saltwater fishing license have restrictions as to where you can spearfish? Does it prohibit spearfishing in lakes or streams or rivers? Some threads have addressed that issue, but not in California. Any thoughts?

Batray, my dear, you needn't depend on the unreliable information you might get here for that information. Just go to your nearest sporting goods store like Turner's, Sportmart, Big 5, etc. and ask for a copy of the California Sportfishing regulations. It's all in there. If you can't find one around that has any, a Highly Unlikely Event, IMO, you can PM me and I'll run down and get one for you at the SoCal DFG office. I need to renew my hunting license ASAP and put in for some important tag drawings, anyway, and I can easily pick up a couple of extras. California takes spearfishing very seriously and the regulations are very clear. While some spearfishing is allowed in fresh water, the legal species are restricted to carp and the like. The ocean is an entirely different matter.

A week from Wednesday the Neptunes meet. I'll play hooky from part of my woodworking class and zip on over there for some tips on where we beginner-types should try for some sheepshead and halibut. If your all mended, we can try and hook up, assuming that you're not moving even farther north than you already are. Bring the boyfriend. I assume that he does dive . . . ?

That is excellent, Oldsarge! I was leery of going to the DFG office for a copy of the Fish and Game Code... those code books are monstrous, and the required information could be spread out between thousands of pages - sorry but I just finished a degree that included familiarization with several state law books. They're awful.

Anyway, I'll go get one of those reg books and see what they say. I'll keep you posted!

I'm a little late to this thread, but here is part of the DFG web site that answers a few questions about licenses that were asked but not answered.

For my purposes here in Southern California where I don't need an abalone care, I need the annual resident license for $33.35 and the ocean enhancement stamp for $3.70. I just had a friend from Hawaii here to dive for three days with me, and his best choice was a 10 day nonresident license for $33.35. We ended up diving for just two days because he got his first yellowtail and first two white sea bass in the first two days, so he could have gotten by with a two day for $16.80.

ANNUAL
Resident $33.35
Nonresident 89.50
Duplicate 6.85

SHORT TERM
Ten-Day Nonresident $33.35
Two-Day Resident/Nonresident 16.80
One-Day Resident/Nonresident 10.75

STAMPS
Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp $5.25
Second Rod Stamp 10.25
Ocean Enhancement Stamp 3.70
Colorado River Stamp 3.00

CARDS
Abalone Permit Report Card $16.00
Salmon Punch Card 1.60
Steelhead Report Card 5.25

The good folks at Big Five gave me a couple of sportfishing booklets, so I'll have those to work on for a while. I also bought a resident fishing license with an ocean enhancement. Woohoo! Getting closer to using my speargun! Thanks for the advice, you guys. It's been really helpful!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT