• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Calling all divers / spearos in Brazil!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mightyblues01

Apr 23, 2009
G'day Guys,

I was just wondering if there's anyone in this forum that lives and / or dives in Brazil?? If so, please reply to this thread, and help build up the Sth American contingency!! :)

For a bit of background, I'm Australian, but I've been living in Brazil for over 6 years. I'm diving / spearing most weekends on the island of Itaparica, in Bahia where I have a beach house, although at the moment the visibility is pretty poor with the rains and hence we're scuba-diving a lot. I don't normally post threads about spearing because I'm pretty amateurish and just getting back into free-diving (deepest I've been lately is 16m).

I am about to change jobs which means I'll be moving north to live in João Pessoa, in Paraíba. Does anyone live up there, or at least is there anyone that's been there and dived and can give me some directions?

Cheers everyone,

Platta:friday

Reactions: podge
Great idea, I am sure we have quite a few guys from South America lurking around?

Alright man, i do a bit of spearing in Brazil when im there, but around buzios. Im moving down to live with my missus soon enough and we are going to be heading north for a trip, i will give ya a shout when im around. Im from Ireland by the way.
Ciao, Thomas.

Excellent, sounds good mate!!

Are you going to live in Búzios itself? Never got down there, but heard all good reports, and I've seen some DVDs of diving in that area (Paulo Pacheco) and it looks pretty amazing!

Unfortunately no, going to be in Rio, but there is some good spearing there too. Buzio is crackin in every way but i think the whole of brazil is like that. Whats the fishin like up your side?????

Pretty fished out really, unfortunately. Still some good stuff around, but hard work. Up where I'm going (Joao Pessoa) I'm hoping will be better, but have no idea at this stage.

Hello guys, I live in Brazil at Rio in Copacabana. If you guys need any help or want to spear some fishes, I'll be glad to be your guide, make contact and we'll arrange it all.
e-mail: spearfishing.do.it@gmail.com
Rodrigo.

Great, thanks for the post Rodrigo!!

Tem um fórum no Brasil de que você faz parte também? Já entrou naquele chamado Guarapas?

Valeu!!

Finally after many months of dicking around im moving to Rio, i was wondering does anyone know what thickness wetsuit i will need? Ive got a 5mm for the spearing and i was wondering is that too thick???? Any help would be great.

Mate, I think Drakon will be more help to you, but even though Rio is under the influence of a cold current, I think your 5mm will be too thick. I think 2.5 - 3mm open cell will be plenty.

Up here in the north-east where the water is always warm I use a 2.5mm normal wettie (not open cell), both for scuba (20 - 40m) and free-diving (8 - 15m). Don't even need this really for the free-diving - a few of the guys I go with don't use wetties - but I always prefer to have the cover, and the sun here is pretty fierce!

Hope this helps a little, but Drakon will be of more use! When do you get here?

Cheers,

Aidan

Finally after many months of dicking around im moving to Rio, i was wondering does anyone know what thickness wetsuit i will need? Ive got a 5mm for the spearing and i was wondering is that too thick???? Any help would be great.

Hello fla, I'll be happy to help you with anything you need.

The wetsuit for diving in here would be a 3mm, I use a Yazbeck Kelp Stalker by the way and it holds me warm nicely.

You can send me an e-mail so we can arranje a dive or something, always good to talk witha spearo.

My email: spearfishing.do.it@gmail.com

Good man Drakon, i might sell my 5mm and get a lighter suit when i arrive there. Cant wait to get back in the water, its been about 3 or 4 months since i was diving and surfing last so ive got alot of time to make up for. :head

I suggest buying a lighter suit before you get here!! All gear here is ridiculously expensive due to customs and import taxes etc - anything imported into Brazil will cost you at least 150% of the price you pay outside of Brazil, and generally it's a lot more than 150%!!

I try to hold off all new purchases until I travel abroad for this very reason!

Obviously if you're bringing in new gear through the airport you are supposed to declare it and pay the tax anyway, but not if it's "used" personal gear, so bear that in mind!

Ya, i was thinking that alright, im a bit short on time and the weather is really bad here at the moment so getting stuff may be a problem but im going to try. Woop woop warm water and weather.

Hows the fishing going mightyblues? Did you move further north?

Very warm, instead I'd say HOT!!!! 38ºC will be right away in mid december...good time for fishing!!!

G'day Thomas,

Yeah mate, moved to João Pessoa in August. I actually live in another city called Cabedelo which is the port city of João Pessoa, but there's no break in between cities, they just sort of roll from one into the other.

There's a site here in Brazil that's very similar to DeeperBlue but in Portuguese:

Guarapas - Notícias

So I got onto that and searched for spearos up this way, and got in contact with some good crew. The first time I went out with them we dived in about 15m of water and there were fish EVERYWHERE!! I thought you beauty, this place is great!!:friday

We've been about 6 times since then and with the exception of the last time which was reasonable, the fish have been pretty scarce! A lot depends on the tides, water temp, vis, currents, etc, etc. There's a heap of ground here between 8 and 18m to keep us occupied. There's also plenty deeper for the better divers or for scuba, and there's quite a few wrecks around here as well. Apparently the vis and the spearing just get better and better in the next couple of months, with the pelagics coming in closer, so should be good. I've got a new boat coming (5.5m RIB) hopefully at the start of Jan (was supposed to be here on the 23rd Nov :vangry), so can't wait!! What we dive from at the moment is a jangada - a bit like a small barge - with a 6.5HP motor on it, so whilst it does the job the new boat should be a vast improvement!! :)

I've attached (I think!) a couple of photos - one of the fish and one of the mighty jangada! - so you get the idea. I remember you've speared down here before, so you'd know all the species. The dentão in the photo are all around 2 - 3kg, with the couple of bigger ones both almost 6kg.

Anyway, keep in touch and we'll sort out some diving! Are you down here already?

Cheers, and "muita água roxa"!!

Aidan.

P.S. the poor little yellow striped fish in the photo just happened to be behind one of the dentão at the wrong time!!

Attachments

• 050120071157.jpg
    050120071157.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 178
  • nossa jangada.jpg
    nossa jangada.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 190
Hey the brasilian crew. i will be traveling to rio april of 2011. i am looking to make a dive or two. i will be in town on a medical congress. i sure would appreciate local hospitality. i will bring my own gear except the weights and the gun.

Do i need a local license or a permit of some sort?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT