• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cambodian Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jan 8, 2017
Hey guys

Jonas here and I'm new to the forum. Currently living in Cambodia and was wondering if any of you guys are also based here and would like to buddy up for a bit of fishing as it's always better then one. Even if you're passing through and I'm free in the dates because there is decent size cuda and cobia and never have to worry about the throng of scuba divers.

Thanks

I live in Thailand and do some of my visaruns to cambodia and usually stay 7-10 days before i go back. I guess you stay somewhere vlose to Sihanoukville or Kep/Kampot? Would be nice to do some spearing next time!

Is the viz generally the same over there as in Thailand? I currently have a 90cm and a 120cm, what do you think is the best length for hunting cambodian waters?

Hey Okis how are the fish in Thailand? I'm in Phnom Penh at the moment but looking to move down to Sihanoukville job permitting. Yeah here is my email castlerhebannorth@hotmail.com give us an email and let me know dates.

Yeah viz around the gulf is pretty similar but when you go out to the further islands you get pretty good fish and vis of 30+ this time of year which is good for Cambodia. Generally speaking though 10m+. I do from boat and reef so if you've a 120cm it should be good for both. What bands do you have on the 120? I've a 110 and a polespear. You have reel on you're gun or do you use floats?

If I'm ever up in Thailand I'll drop you a message would like to do some fishing up there! Any other questions feel free to drop me and email. Always good to find another Spearo this part of the world.

I've mostly been doing shorehunting here since its easy access and i dont know many spearos who i can share boat trip expenses with so not much big fish around. Hard to find anything over 4-5kg.

I might bring both guns, my 90 is actually my favorite one on the reefs. I use ×2 sigalsub 14.5 mm small id on both the guns. I really like those small id bands! And i have a reel with 90m line but i probaly will use a float if im going after anything over 10kg.

You think they will nag me at the bordecontrol about having spearguns? I will most likely fly into Cambodua but i remember before(i stayed in Cambodia 2012-2014) when i was doing alot visaruns on the landborders it was really annoying because the borderpolice would always try to scam me one way or another.

If you come by the Phuket area just let me know, as i said i dont know many spearos here and those i know have familys and jobs to take care of as well so most of the time im hunting on my own!

Yeah I do a lot of shore as I swim from the islands and can get good size fish I lay FADS to try bring the big guys in. I know what you mean can be pricey heading out by yourself.

How is the 90 for reef? Was thinking about getting one made the mistake of going for a 110 seac sub twin thunder as it's a good all rounder but too small for blue. Sounds good the more hardware the better

You shouldn't have a problem what border point do you cross? I've always been alright and I go through Poipet - Thai border and have never had any problem but I've never had a speargun. Spearfishing is fully legal here provided you're not on air or on protected ground.

Phuket is definitely in my to do list would love to get out on the Andaman. Are you living in Phuket? What's you're budget like? Whenever I go I always camp out and just catch what I eat can easily fish for a week for under $100. Or take out a boat for considerably more!! Same as me a lot of friends have an interest but have no gear or girlfriends.

Hi guys, I'm in Phuket at the moment for a few weeks.... Okis, would be great to meet up and head out on a boat if you're keen? Or just to find some better spots off the beaches. I brought home my first bounty today, a few nice needle fish and a snapper. Looking forward to getting them on the bbq this eve. Will post some pics next job.

I was in Cambodia last year and the fishing was amazing! I stayed on Koh Rong samloem, just off sihanoukville. I stayed on the west side of the island at Robinson bungalows. Great place and awesome fish right off the beach. Cobia, Cuda, snapper and queen fish. Loads of them. It certainly isn't anywhere near as overfished as Phuket.

I have a 100 custom gun that me and a friend built last year, twin 16mm with enclosed track.. I actually missed out on a giant snapper this morning because I didn't want to shoot into the hole he was hiding in with both bands loaded. Needless to say, he was gone the second time I went down for a look.
I have a good contact for cheap boats on Koh Rong samloem.. Local guy who spears himself and knows some great places. The water was very clean and as I said, full of very nice fish.

I have a family, but they like to eat fresh fish so very happy to let me get out hunting.
My email is will@wolfproductions.net get in touch and hope to see you soon.

Fish off the beach, koh rong samloem.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 442
Hey Wilber yeah some good fish off Koh Rong Samloem I did my SSI open water there and been serveral times fishing. Yeah there isn't much on the east side I learned that the hard way but some good waters to the west. I did a lot of diving just off the bay area where Robinson bungalows are.

Are you traveling through or are you based in Asia? I will be based here for the next 6 months at least if you were up for doing a bit of fishing just let me know. Nothing worse than seeing a fishing in a hole like that that's why I've got a polespear with a paralyzer tip so I'm not damaging my shalfts!!

Have you ever fished off Koh ta Kiev? Found out last year that here is some pretty good Cuda down there and a good drop off and deep trenches through the coral. I'm going down to check it out again Monday so I'll keep you posted.

Nothing better than eating a fresh catch or Sashami. Nice catch Wilber I say there were a lot of full bellies that night. Do you do any angling as well or just mainly spearing?

Hey Jonas, yep based in Asia, living in Sri Lanka on the south coast (galle/unawatuna) but in Phuket on holiday for a month or so. If you're ever that way then gimme a shout and let's do some hunting. The water isn't as clear but there's plenty of fish if you can see them!
Planning a trip out to the islands off Phuket sometime in the next few weeks, hopefully going to find some tuna in the big blue.

I've never been to Koh ta Kiev, sounds great though. Good luck on your trip, send some pics if you can.
If I'm heading your way I'll definitely get in touch. Probably not going to happen in the next few months but never say never.

As far as angling, I'd love to do some line fishing but always seem to find myself under the water rather than above it. Would be very keen to get out on a boat and try land some decent game fish.
How about yourself?

A friend bought me a cheapy pole spear before I came away on this trip... Only had it out a few times but really enjoyed it. I think I'll be investing in a decent one sometime in the near future. It's a lot lighter than my hunk of teak and probably better suited to Sri Lankan waters. Have you had much success with the pole?

I wanted to ask you about something you wrote in a previous message... About laying FADS? What is this? And does it bring the big fish in?

Nice would love to go and who knows where I'll be next year. Yeah thanks appreciate it and vice versa you've a friend in Cambodia. What kind of vis do you off Sri Lanka? Would love a big yellowfin tuna in my sights. Still get the shakes when I see a big cuda. Are you using floats for bigger fish?

I'll be back on Saturday week so I'll try post up some pictures of the grounds and fish (if I get any).

Well that's where I started angling and when big grouper would wedge between rocks I'd have to dive in and coax them out so that was my evolution to spearfishing. I tend to have better luck landing big fish early in the morning with a rod and when the fish finish feeding I jump in after them with the spear gun.

What kind of time would you usually spend in the water?

I like the polespear because I helps with technique with the gun since I started using it I've found stalking fish has got better. Catch wise you won't land the same big fish and doesn't have the same penetration especially with large pelagic species. But a lot of fun in shallow reefs.

Well I read about FADs on there are probably a lot of threads that will explain it better than me but I'll give it a shot. They are Fish Aggravating Devices which is basically they intrigue the fish. So what I have is a float with a mainline down to an anchor or weight there are branches of lines set at different intervals with a group of flashers to mimick shoaling baitfish. I used soda cans cut open and different shapes cut as flashers. So I just set this at a ledge off a coral or in open water and let it bob up and down with the float with moves the flashers. I've found in my own use that it brings in a lot of baitfish around it and I've found it attracts trevally/cuda. That's just my way of doing it but I've found it is a big help. It's just my cheap DIY way of doing it I'll post pictures of it with my go pro because it doesn't really look like anything out of the water. But with a bit of fishing line soda cans and a bit of spare time it's well worth the effort.

Nice would love to go and who knows where I'll be next year. Yeah thanks appreciate it and vice versa you've a friend in Cambodia. What kind of vis do you off Sri Lanka? Would love a big yellowfin tuna in my sights. Still get the shakes when I see a big cuda. Are you using floats for bigger fish?

I'll be back on Saturday week so I'll try post up some pictures of the grounds and fish (if I get any).

Well that's where I started angling and when big grouper would wedge between rocks I'd have to dive in and coax them out so that was my evolution to spearfishing. I tend to have better luck landing big fish early in the morning with a rod and when the fish finish feeding I jump in after them with the spear gun.

What kind of time would you usually spend in the water?

I like the polespear because I helps with technique with the gun since I started using it I've found stalking fish has got better. Catch wise you won't land the same big fish and doesn't have the same penetration especially with large pelagic species. But a lot of fun in shallow reefs.

Well I read about FADs on there are probably a lot of threads that will explain it better than me but I'll give it a shot. They are Fish Aggravating Devices which is basically they intrigue the fish. So what I have is a float with a mainline down to an anchor or weight there are branches of lines set at different intervals with a group of flashers to mimick shoaling baitfish. I used soda cans cut open and different shapes cut as flashers. So I just set this at a ledge off a coral or in open water and let it bob up and down with the float with moves the flashers. I've found in my own use that it brings in a lot of baitfish around it and I've found it attracts trevally/cuda. That's just my way of doing it but I've found it is a big help. It's just my cheap DIY way of doing it I'll post pictures of it with my go pro because it doesn't really look like anything out of the water. But with a bit of fishing line soda cans and a bit of spare time it's well worth the effort.

HI Jonas
I am living in the northern part of koh rong , doing a lot of spearfishing here.
Would love to meet , and go for a dive.
This is my place.
www.lonely-beach.com
U may wanna also check our koh rong spearfishing club (KRSC)on fb.
Hope c u soon

Might move from Thailand to Cambodia next year because the simplicity with getting businessvisa and there seems to be bigger fish than compared to here in Phuket.
I did stay in sihanoukville for 2 years 4-5 years ago but wasnt into spearfishing at that time.

Is the start/end of spearing season same months as in Thailand? I actually speared alot of during the monsoon here and i didnt get in to any lifethreatning situations(no bluewater, only from the shores) the viz was generally worse compared to the rest of the year ofcourse but it was def doable and somedays it was like normal. Is it possible to spear during rainperiod on koh rong or is it too dangerous?

There is no problem during rainy season...
Sometimes to much waves and with that the vis goes down.
And like you said.. Sometimes it's like normal.
But still good fish here.
And yes ,I like the visa possibility to.

Hey guys

Jonas here and I'm new to the forum. Currently living in Cambodia and was wondering if any of you guys are also based here and would like to buddy up for a bit of fishing as it's always better then one. Even if you're passing through and I'm free in the dates because there is decent size cuda and cobia and never have to worry about the throng of scuba divers.

Thanks
Jonas. I am a freediver but want to learn to spearfish. I could come for a couple of weeks at the end of August. Are you still around?

Hi fellow spearos, I'm heading from Myanmar overland through Thailand into Cambodia in the next couple of days. Spearing the islands off the south of Myanmar has been good but inshore viz not so great, lots of rainbow runners, spaniards and queenies, doggie stole a spear though! I come equipped with a 110 roller gun and loads of rob Allen rubber for making friends. Would love to get out for a dive with someone (mainly been diving solo here) around this general route or in Cambodia . Otherwise just looking for information on potential spearing on the islands between Bangkok and Cambodian border or national park? Otherwise fuel/boat costs to reach outer islands and doggie spots? Anyone had success with them in Cambodian waters ? Happily return the favour if anyone ever heads to east Africa!
All the best,
Jasper

Hey Jasper

What date are you arriving in Cambodia I could probably hook you up with some spearing? Best option is heading out to one of the islands and off Sihanoukville or Koh Kong and shore dive if you are on a budget. Check out Spearfishing Cambodia on Facebook guy is french Charly and he'll take you out not sure of the price. Apart from that any of the info above in the previous posts. Koh ta Kiev is good diving lower vis then any of the islands further out. Koh Rong is difficult to dive around as lots of scuba and spearfishing is a bit of a grey area legality wise so if caught you're gear will be taken and a fine. Koh Rong Samloem is good shout on the west side of the island. I've never seen doggies but I'd say you have to get a lot further out towards Koh tang, Koh prins and poulo wai. It'll cost you about $20 to get out to any of the closer islands but if your staying at a hostel on the island they could include in the price of staying. Would love to be able to join but recovering from middle ear barotrauma. A great place to stay on Koh Rong is Lonely Beach super friendly people and great scenery. Any other info needed just hit me up.

Jonas

Hi jonas,
thanks for all the help! I arrived in sihanoukville today and on the back of the advice of you and others on the forum, I will be heading straight to koh rong samloem as really don't want to tread on any scuba toes and get my gear pinched in koh rong. Do you think they could still get all pissy if I'm spearing west side of samloem ? I Always give locals lots of fish to keep them onside anyway but doesn't really work for the scubarers. Any idea about logistics or price to get to koh tang or koh prins? Can you camp on the islands? Do you have a reliable local source you use? Real shame about the barotrauma ... I know that hamstrung feeling well! Again, very happy to reciprocate your help if you ever head to east Africa !
All the best,
Jasper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jasper here is an rough guide of coral distribution and use a guide to fish it's not super detailed but just a sense of general area. West side of the island you are good I know there is one bay where there is a lot of scuba but I think it's further south. I've found local fishermen won't give you any grief as long as you go about your own business. Just don't swim to close to there boats or you might find a floating turd. Koh Tang and Prins is usually done on a liveaboard as I don't think there is any accommodation and it might be illegal to step foot on the island as there's a military base on Tang. So it'll be a two day trip. I remember I guy telling me $1000 for 3 people and supply your own gear. Best bet would be trying to get a local to bring you or find a boat heading out that way and it would be significantly cheaper. Barotrauma sucks can't wait to get back in the water. Yeah I might take you up on that offer I spent two months in Gabon and spent a lot of time fishing loved it wasn't spearing at the time if only I knew!!!! What part are you from?

Attachments

• C8CDA0AC-9C5D-4AA3-B10B-38430FF206B7-712-00000058AB7C458C_tmp.jpg
    C8CDA0AC-9C5D-4AA3-B10B-38430FF206B7-712-00000058AB7C458C_tmp.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 432
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT