• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Camo Wetsuit -How much benefit???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dazed321

Sep 11, 2017
HI Guys,
Just wondering how much benefit a camo wetty is.
I currently using quick a bright coloured surf suit.
Is worth investing in a camo spearing suit?
Thanks heaps!

Very little benefit from camo. Spearfishing wetsuits should be warmer & more comfortable than surfing suits but the camo is just to help catch the cash from our wallet, not fish. I dont care if I am wearing, blue, black, camo, or colours. I wouldnt intentionally wear white or silver wet suit if burleying up for tuna in areas with large sharks, but I like some white on the top of the head or back of shoulders if diving with others in deep or dirty water. I usually wear a white silicone wieght belt & this is usually enough to let the others spot me if I am diving in pairs.

Reactions: Mr. X
Very little benefit from camo. Spearfishing wetsuits should be warmer & more comfortable than surfing suits but the camo is just to help catch the cash from our wallet, not fish. I dont care if I am wearing, blue, black, camo, or colours. I wouldnt intentionally wear white or silver wet suit if burleying up for tuna in areas with large sharks, but I like some white on the top of the head or back of shoulders if diving with others in deep or dirty water. I usually wear a white silicone wieght belt & this is usually enough to let the others spot me if I am diving in pairs.
Thanks Sharkey!!!!
I guess I just need to work on my skills not my appearance, hahahaha

Someone at the dive shop told me camo doesn't really matter and that he uses an all black suit. He also said it's bright colors hed stay away from bc it attracts sharks. I wanted the all red yazbek suit but not after he said that lol. As you get better, the more you go with your friends, the more you post pictures of your catch, the more you grow to love the lifestyle, your definitely going to consider a wetsuit for spearfishing lol

Someone at the dive shop told me camo doesn't really matter and that he uses an all black suit. He also said it's bright colors hed stay away from bc it attracts sharks. I wanted the all red yazbek suit but not after he said that lol. As you get better, the more you go with your friends, the more you post pictures of your catch, the more you grow to love the lifestyle, your definitely going to consider a wetsuit for spearfishing lol
Thanks mate, that all makes perfect sense. Looks like I'm going to have to crack open the piggy bank and get a good wettie

Thanks mate, that all makes perfect sense. Looks like I'm going to have to crack open the piggy bank and get a good wettie
Lol no problem bro. Spearfishing gear is pricey but the thing I like about it is, once you get all the gear, your set for a while. When I was into fishing I hated how much money it cost to go each trip.

Reactions: foxfish
I've never been too hip on most of the spearfishing wetsuits, only a small handful of companies got the camo right, most companies camo are great if you are sitting in the woods hunting but look nothing like the reef. Most of the loading pads are either too small or not in the right place for me. I just bought my second Henderson Microprene suit for $90 and had "Seatux" put a nice loading pad on the suit. It is positioned just right for loading and thick enough that it doesn't kill me to load, Seatux did a great job on it. I've ripped out those cheap zippers a few times too, the Henderson has a 10 yr. warrenty on their zippers and my old Henderson is well over 10 yrs. old, I think I've gotten maybe 2 yrs. out of those fancy spearfishing suits. I've also done my own camo painting on my first Henderson, acrylic latex craft paint mixed 50% with textile medium and looks much better than most of those fancy camo suits. Hope this helps

I've also done my own camo painting on my first Henderson, acrylic latex craft paint mixed 50% with textile medium and looks much better than most of those fancy camo suits. Hope this helps

Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

It's the suit in my avatar, I'll see if I can post some better pics this evening.

Thank you sir, it's a 67" mid handle, builder is Mr. Mike Novotny aka "Man Mid handles". That was my first trip with the gun and got my first dogtooth that day.

Reactions: SubSub
Nice. Is that timber Purple hart? I found a wee bit down here & thought about laminating some with nice white Australian beech. Does the purple fade much?

Yes sir, it's purple heart/maple, I've not noticed any fading so far. I bet that purple heart/Australian beech would be sweet.
IMG_3781.JPG

Very nice. Looks very well built & looks like it would be perfect for dogtooth.

Thanks sharky, I could learn a thing or two from you, that's a very nice doggie in your avatar.

Cheers mate, this wee one is my most recent. I'm hopeful to get one more than twice the size of this in a couple of months. Finding them isnt too hard & getting a spear into them isnt too hard either , getting them past the sharks once speared is difficult. I think we had about 80 tuna vaporised on the trip this photo was taken. The one in the avitar was taken years ago in a location with very few sharks I managed to boat a few from that spot over the years until line fishing charters discovered it & now there are only small fish. I have had fish there which when speared had larger fish over 300mm longer circle them, considereng the speared fish were in the high 70's to low 80's kg those big girls would have been pushing 135kg. The new spot I'm hunting them now is not so easy but there are good numbers over 60kg & a few approaching the 100kg. Your gun would be perfect.

40814.jpg

Reactions: dazed321
Thanks for sharing the pic, that's a nice one I hope you post pics of your trip when you get back, would love to see them and hear the story.

Hi Guys,

i have a Spearfishing Camo Suit from SeacSub 3,5 mm. The advantage is that it keeps me warm and I have a loading pet.

The Camo, well, I don't think it makes a bit difference. If you lay on the ground not moving the fish "accept" you. Doesn't matter what you're wearing.

But I personally feel better with camo, I feel like a part of the ocean, more than without. But I guess that's in my brain.

All in all I think it is not a big difference.

Reactions: hydroid
I suspect that most of the fish will have seen you on your descent, you are moving, easy to spot, however if you are doing aspetto and your bottom time is considerable, I think some fish from a little farther away may blunder onto you and then the camo suit possibly may be a small advantage.

Reactions: hydroid
I have read quite a few reports about shark attacks over the years and there was one incident in which two spearos were together, one in black, one in camo, the great white allegedly swam straight past the camo diver to attack the one in black. Obviously this could be down to many reasons, there have been other incidents were one swimmer in a group of open water swimmers was picked out from the others. An interesting thought though and there must be something in it as a fair amount of research has been done over colour and/or pattern with regards attractiveness to sharks. I guess that there is a small chance that in heavy shark areas, it may be safer to wear camo than black. Being in the UK i have no experience to offer with regards this, but I am sure that others on here have ideas based on real world experience.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT