• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Camo Wetsuit -How much benefit???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I am lucky I guess in that I dont get anxious around sharks. I am usually quite happy to continue spearing fish around them so long as it is controlled & they are well behaved. I'm prepared to kill them if I have too, I rarely do, but this is my attitude & it works. I was blue for a couple of weeks after one coral sea trip last year where I had been "shouldered" several times by sharks whilst fighting tuna, but not bitten. Was it just luck or something else? The sharks had no interest in me, just the fish. I also can never recall a shark biting another in a "frenzy". I have often seen sharks turn quickly from being passive to agressive as soon as an anxious diver enters the water. The colour of the wetsuit isnt important, it is the attitude & behaviour of the person in it which matters. If you are anxious around sharks, they will pick it up quickly, no matter what colour wetsuit you wear.

Hi guy,
When looking for the best spearfishing wetsuit, it is imperative that you select the most appropriate thickness.

Solhim,

The subject of this thread is whether or not camo really makes a difference. As far as I can tell you didn't directly address that- you're just trying to sell a brand of wet suit. If so, maybe your post should be in Goods for Sale forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solhim,

The subject of this thread is whether or not camo really makes a difference. As far as I can tell you didn't directly address that- you're just trying to sell a brand of wet suit. If so, maybe your post should be in Goods for Sale forum.
Agreed - post deleted.

Camo
I don't think camo makes much, difference, if any, versus black. Although one possible theoretical advantage might be that camo breaks up your outline a little, to make you look a little less like a big ol' seal (I had a big ol' seal check me out spearing one day, nibbling my fins and all!). Might help if you plan to hide in varied, weedy rocks or weed beds, if you are otherwise smooth and quiet.

Bright wetsuits

Bright/contrast wetsuits probably make you more visible to fish but fish can be curious creatures and they may choose to investigate you or ignore you if you appear non-threatening. I have heard of yellow (with regard to wetsuits & boards) being described as "yummy yellow" in some sharky, tropical areas. Member Portinfer memorably, long ago, posted a photograph of a sea kayak with the front tip broken off, supposedly bitten off by a shark; the kayak was white with a red tip section -- like a huge "red-head" fishing lure! Not sure if that was a genuine incident but SA spearo Miles does favour the red head pattern in his sea fishing lures.

I wouldn't generalize too much about things like shark behaviour. Wild animals, like people or dogs can vary a lot in behaviour, habit, temperament, psychology and circumstance. For example, hunger can really change the behaviour of an animal/person. Sharks don't get issued with a rule book. They try things, and experience pain or pleasure or indifference and learn accordingly (or not).

Last edited:
Reactions: seatrophy
I have had great success with Polosub out of Rome if you’re in the market for a suit. The custom nature makes the fit amazing.
For a 5.5mm full suit and 3.5mm legs it cost me roughly $400 shipped to California.
The dive suit will be much warmer than a surf suit, and if you go custom (which I would strongly recommend) it will be even warmer because of the fit quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

+1 for Polosub. I use the Forza Tre neoprene, not the most stretchy but almost indestructible for spearfishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. X and hydroid
+1 for Polosub. I use the Forza Tre neoprene, not the most stretchy but almost indestructible for spearfishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it the Smoothskin/open cell Forze Tre? I'm looking to switch brands from elios to Polosub

Reactions: hydroid
camo is works but mostly that depend from the area
in some wide place like Maldives islands you don't need camo, because most fishes did not see any man more over spear fishers before in their life, and fishes a very interesting to see CLOSER new object in the water, camo is bad for that case, be more visible to them ) make you self interesting like a flasher ;)

but in heavy pressured by spear fishers water like Mediterranean sea any black wet suit will warn fishes to stay away from you

i made paint for open cell neoprene by myself and play many time with it on my wet suit ...it is not easy to find out appropriate camo pattern which is work and it must the same colour pattern like rocks underwater in you area ...but if you have appropriate camo it works! like fish come closer 1/3 to you, if you keep calm

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT