• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

carbon fins: which is best????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have been aggressive with my sporasub pure carbons but also careful...only had them a month but am racking up the hours in them. They seem to be plenty durable. I am not able to compare them to other similar fins. To me, it seems they'll last a long time.

New Picasso Finns

Picasso has just introduced a new model of carbon finns that are covered with thin neopren leyer and should be much more durable than present models of carbon finns.

alan

Carbono 21

Has anyone tried the Picasso's Carbono 21? This is the carbon blade that I think Alan is referring to. It is laminated and like the the BT lll Carbonium it has kevlar to increase strength. I think the BT lll comes with a one year warranty as well. But these are spendy items - close to $500 US. Of course the nice thing about the Picasso system is that you can swap blades by removing one bolt assembly.

big feet = no fins

Hi all, and happy holidays.

I'm intrigued with the idea of going to a full foot pocket fin, especially a composite blade. Trouble is I've got size 13 US, (48-49 euro) feet and by the time I put on 3 or 5mm socks, there's no fins out there that'l fit! I've been using the Esclapaz open heel fins and they're OK, but...

Obviously the answer is to just keep going to the shops and asking, but I thought I'd luck out here by going world wide.

Hows UT treating you, Angus?

Reactions: Angus
Adjusting

Hey Icarus,

Utah is fine, thanks for asking. The people are pretty much like anyplace else; most are nice, some are real nice, and some are total lardheads. The biggest adjustment for us was living in a large metropolitan area and not having lots of water to go to. Oh, and the drivers. I seldom get the five miles to work without seeing an accident. They seem to think that traffic signals are an optional requirement. Not being of the predominant religon has not been any problem and I live in the heart of it. We have made some wonderful friends, although none of them freedive.

Tomorrow I heading back up to Homestead Crater to dive in 95 degree (F) water again so that is a plus. So far I have still not found any freedivers but Homestead has scuba folks diving so I just hook up with them. Hopefully I will convert someone before to long. It is close to 6000f above sea level so it is good training. The only time I was there was two weeks when I was using Octo's BT lll Carbonium blades. Unfortunately I had not dived in several months so the effect was not as clearly defined, but they were fast and easy. Tomorrow I will be back in my regular BTs. I am curious to see how different they are.

Thanks for the reply.

I lived in Sandy for a few years; my ex and kids still do. Different place that UT. It oughta be illegal for a single place to have so many beautiful parks and places... but the people there can be dumber than dirt with the steering wheel thing. Those two reflective things on the outside of the doors are just for hitting bugs!

I did some diving down South, at Lake Powell. Not only is it one of the most unreal fresh water places I've been with all the scenery surrounding it, especially Wahweap,but if you can get back into some of the long coves and fingers, there's some pretty decent diving and spearing.

I sometimes think about going back, but that's a damn long haul for real salt water...

sven

Go to General Freediving

Sven I have started a thread in the general category to continue this discussion.

Hi,

I don't know about the best carbon, but some carbon seems better than none at all. I just dove a set of OMER Millenium Carbon Pros, and they sure do have more go to them than my BTs.

Best wishes,

Doug

update

From an earlier post of mine in this thread:

>>>I have been aggressive with my sporasub pure carbons but also careful...only had them a month but am racking up the hours in them. They seem to be plenty durable. I am not able to compare them to other similar fins. To me, it seems they'll last a long time. <<<

Well... today after a trip home from the pool.. and wondering why I was drifting off sideways a little I notice stress fractures on one of my pure carbons, mainly on top, just opposite of the re-enforcing strip on the back. There is definetly a difference in the stiffness of the two now. So.... I'm calling the company and hoping they'll cover that bad blade... the other one is still perfect.. in fact.. to look at it optimistically... one of these fins is better than two of anything else I've used.. hahaha.

Another update 1/18/02 - I returned the defective fins and even before I sent them the company has sent me a new pair - they even paid the shipping. I notice now that the sporasubs have two screws holding the blade where my faulty fins had only one in the center... maybe they found something.. anyway, I'm back to the sporasubs..

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT