• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Carlos Coste 102m WR

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
the european soccer championships pale in comparison to the cyprus event... :( congratulations carlos!

Hey Carlos, brilliant. Congrats !!

It's a special number for sure. Whatever happens from here, and wherever the record goes, only one person will ever be able to say " I was the man who broke the 100 m barrier..."

Like the first 4-minute mile. Very few can name the current record holder of the mile, but most people know Roger Bannister was the first to break 4 mins !! :king

Not only is Carlos the first to 100m, but he was also the first to 90m. Thus, he joins Pelizzari as the only diver to every break two milestones in constant weight. Pelizzari was the first to 70m & 80m. Maiorca was first to 60m, Makula to 50m:

1977 Stefano Makula 50m
1981 Enzo Maiorca 60m
1992 Umberto Pelizzari 70m
1999 Umberto Pelizzari 80m
2002 Carlos Coste 90m
2004 Carlos Coste >100m (102m)

This is also the first time that the milestone was jumped right over.

The longest jump was 11 years to go from 60m to 70m!

Unfortunately Guillaume Nery has a habit of going for a record at the wrong time--his recent 96m record is obviously overshadowed by the Cyprus event.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

You also have to hand it to Herbert--he is the only one of the really deep guys who actually has to plug his nose to equalize like the rest of us! To my knowledge, Martin, Carlos and maybe even Guillaume all equalize hands free.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Thank You Eric for letting us know Herbert -still- needs that too!

I whish I can do handsfree this year, it would be really liberating I think to any freediver. I just whished I was and am right there in Cyprus, I can breathe the atmosphere through the stories, I feel like I can do PB static right now, I should anker myself to earth or I will take off.... dreaming away....

Thanks mate!

Kars.

*no I'm not on drugs, I never have used them, and I don't whish to, reading DB does make me very happy like being deep down there!*

Last edited:
Gracias Carlos por llevar a la con-ciencia tan profundo.

Congratulations!

Congratulations to Carlos for passing a historic milestone in freediving.

Congratulations to the three deepest competitors, namely to Carlos, to Martin and to Herbert. I am firmly believing that all three of them have reached the "three digit zone" in training, and it is counting a lot to me what people do in training!

Here is a table with some preliminary results.

Observing this table there arises one question: Should Martin's accomplishment not also be accredited to him as a world record? If I get the chronology right, he dove to -98m at Top Time 9:00, thus exceeding Guillaumes recent record by 2 Meters. Then Carlos followed at Top Time 9:05 doing his incredible 102 Meters. Unless the order was rearranged I don't see a reason why Martin's 98 Meters should not also be considered as a WR. Is there a minimum amount of time to be placed between two performances of let's say 24 hours? Does anyone know the details?

Congratulations also to Wolle - awesome!

@erasmuspaxi: Greetings from Vienna, how are You? Just drop me a line!

Have safe and pleasant dives

Last edited:
Gerald,

Regarding Martin. I am no expert on the rules but i'm pretty sure he has to return to the surface with a tag for the result to be valid. Since Martin's tag was at 103m and he only made 98m his record would not be recognised as a new WR - although it was a tremendous dive in it's own right!

felicitaciones a carlos

Felicitaciones a nuestro amigo y compatriota de Venezuela, Carlos Coste, y a todo el equipo que lo acompaña en Chipre, por su nuevo record mundial a -102 mts.

Gracias por poner en alto el nombre de nuestro pais y seguir impulsando la apnea.

Attachments

• placa.jpg
    placa.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 402
hola

Originally posted by majo
Gracias Carlos por llevar a la con-ciencia tan profundo.
__

Saludos Majo,,,, what a deep thinking!- si la conciencia se puede llevar tan profundo asi como de profundo es lo que dices mi amigo -

saludos

Daniel.

Thanks to Emma for covering the highlights. Does anyone know of a site that is publishing the results from Cyprus? The dynamic numbers were up for a few days but nothing now.
Aloha
Bill

I tried that Eric, URL not found. http://freediver.co.uk/foc2004/results.htm works. I guess it's just a left hand computer in a right world, but sometimes it's hard not to be paranoid and just because I'm paranoid that doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get me. Thanks guys. I owe you one Stephan.
Aloha
Bill

LOL Bill, nice lines :)

In most places your a rebel when they call you 'left' :p it's almost like one is not normal being not paranoid when being left. Uhm I hope my English isn't grow into a unsolvable knot here ;)

Kars

English is fine Kars. Don't think that I congratulated you on your performance last month. 'Under fire' too. What was it, a half a point? Competition doesn't get any tougher than that. Way to go.
Aloha
Bill

Well done Carlos, Martin and Herbert.

These are great freedivers, their achievements are unbelievable.

Thumb up for you all!

Joefox

Where are the static results? I see the static points added into the overall, but where is it reported what the actual times where? :confused:
Thanks,
Don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT