• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cayman HF2!!! (brown camo!!!)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Of course, Mr X, the Italians invented English.
The HF is a very light, agile gun. The HF style grip is smaller than the T20 style and fits very naturally in your hand. It's a very easy gun to point and move. My one reservation - after handling one at Hatteras, was that the nose might be a bit light and hard to hold steady. I also wondered about recoil with two bands though I did not shoot it. The HF2 would seem to be the answer to that - though I wonder they don't make at least a 120 cm model.
That's my guess anyway, but for sure the Cayman HF handles very nicely in the water.

Italians also invented the word "fascism" and "ghetto", as well as fascism itself and ghettos: please forgive us for this...(but you anglophones are still in debt with us for giving you a wonderful word such as "circumstance": our invention!).
On the HF2, I have the impression it might have less mass than the HF1. The fact that they put on it an option for screw-in/in-line bands, makes me think it might be a product for the European market rather than for Americans like Frank Johnson. But from pictures it's hard to tell. I'd say let's wait for Marwan's birthday for some first hand feedback.

Looks like they also are not going to offer their mirror lens. Also the bat 25 ocean and green camo fins. And no ocean and green camo belts.

Last edited:
It's true, Us americans like stuff that you shove in and maybe twist once. Screwing things in is scarey for us; spirals remind us of 'the big questions' and make our heads hurt - so we find ways to do it real quick with power tools.

I thought maybe it had more mass - or at least that front wing thingy would a: put some buancy up front and b: help with recoil - aka muzzle jump or just make it a more stable aiming platform. Admittedly this might be foggy thinking on account off the high grip - but us americans, unlike Italians and other fancy-pants europeanish types, must rationalize cool stuff with some sort of mechanical explaination.

We make a stupid line between function and beauty because television has robbed most of us of any possibility to think things through and all the estrogen in our food is turning us slowly into girls. We sense this, but lacking any understanding of women and imbued with very strange ideas about what men are 'supposed' to be, we can only react defensively to these strange, beautiful european things.

This is why some of us love Italian spearguns, while others laugh derisively even as they cry themselves to sleep among the old shoes and JBLs in their closets...

Last edited:
I just noticed the new HF2 but you guys beat me to it - foiled again! I thought the "old" HF looked a little too thick (more drag than almost any normal speargun?) -- looks like they have probably addressed that with the HF2. [I was just eyeing up the old Excalibur & regular Cayman...looking for an inexpensive short gun 70/75cm -- doesn't seem to be worth spending mega-bucks on such a small gun].

Shortest one in the catalogue is 80cm...good size for the UK.:hmm

Did you notice the camo spear in the picture? (Apparently I can read Italian now too, on the limited edition section -- remarkably similar to English really).

Spaghetti, what is the Omer rubber like? Looks like they now sell bulk rubber:). Still no clear Zoom Pro (i.e. flexible) snorkel. The new low energy LED version of the Moonlight torch with aluminium head & Marseille belt look like a winners (if reasonably priced). Very innovative company - surprised there aren't more dealer in the UK.

camo spear

looks like after some work with MEROS the camo paint will go off
every shaft can be paint easy by every one

XXV muzzle

hey my friend i told you on hell of a gun isnt it? :)

MR-X how is the bass seasone in UK?
we are in the BLUE-Runner & spanish Mackarrels seasone in israel

camo spear

looks like after some work with MEROS the camo paint will go off
every shaft can be paint easy by every one
XXV muzzle
hey my friend i told you on hell of a gun isnt it? :)
I second that on camo paint: it will tear off for sure especially from the point to the flopper, but anyway. I like guns with a rugged look.
XX Gold: still considering buying a 90 of this type...I had an 82 which made me a great impression, but it has been stolen by a thief from my bag on the beach after just a few weeks of use. :vangry
Mundial, is your XXV Gold still doing good after long time and hard duty? Any problems with trigger failures, barrell bending or anything?
---
PS: Fondueset, you're so right and you have some very good points. The reason why, unlike the Americans, we Italians do prefer screw-in bands and screw-in stuff in general is rather practical (or psychological) than phylosophical.
As you know, the italian soil is poor, or better said totally deprived, of any raw material: our land gives no iron, no copper, no nikel, no coal, no oil, nothing of nothing at all. As an indirect consequence, we take care to screw our tools very firmly for the fear they could fall apart and be lost, as we're well aware that' we can't afford wasting them. (I recycle my old speargun bands as caps for olive oil jars...).

Last edited:
I have a brown painted spear on my roller gun, it was sprayed with two pack acrylic paint & baked hard in an oven. As the gun has only been used a few times I cant say how long the spear will hold the paint.
We used to have a great dive shop in Guernsey & I cam remember them selling coloured fiberglass spears also I have read on medfish about carbon spears.

Reactions: Mr. X
This is a little off topic, but after doing yet another fresh install of Windows Vista I have to say none of us would be here today if Microsoft made spearguns.

Mundial, is your XXV Gold still doing good after long time and hard duty? Any problems with trigger failures, barrell bending or anything?

i never had a gun as good as this one :) !!
this are some of the last 2 weeks:t

120907d.JPG

200907a.JPG

280807b.JPG

200907c.JPG

Reactions: Mr. X and spaghetti
Thanks Mundial. This is what I wanted to know. For sure I need a 90cm speargun (the last I had went sold to Podge) and these are my candidates (no order of preference):
Cayman HF2 (in february...)
XXV Gold
Seatec Gabbiano
T20 (before they run out of stock)
Cressi Geronimo
cutting my old Master Comp 106 to make a 90 of it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
dont cut the 106... i tried that once, failed miserably...

I take this as a good advise my friend, but I wasn't thinking to do it myself:
I know my limits and I know I'd certainly loose one or two fingers if I ever ventured to try that...:crutch My neighbour is a plumber and cuts pipes everyday so he'd me my man in the case.
What gun did you cut? (and how many fingers?) :t

Last edited:
thats the funny part i wasnt even trying to to cut the barrel, i was simply trying to replace my comanche 60 barrel with a 75...the barrel wouldnt go out of the handle, one thing lead to another , i got crazy, bla bla bla ended up with a broken handle and borken barrel :) its actually quite funny now..wasnt at the time:) i should have gon to the plumber

cheers

Of course, Mr X, the Italians invented English.
:DNext you'll be telling me God isn't English...and then where would be!

Italians also invented the word "fascism" and "ghetto", as well as fascism itself and ghettos: please forgive us for this...(but you anglophones are still in debt with us for giving you a wonderful word such as "circumstance": our invention!).
..and the name Cosmo/Cosimo. Well we gave the world "Golliwog" [see elsewhere...or was it the Americans?], "chocolate teapot", "gazump" and "gazunder", "Beckingham Palace", "gobsmacked", "tosspot", "dodgy", "Luddite", "Rachmanism" and "concentration camp". A youngster (or "yoof" = "yute" ItAmE?!) recently asked me what the difference is between an "asbo" and a "hoodie", I explained that the former is like an old fashion "ABC" and the latter is a "chav" with a sweatshirt:D. Doesn't it make you proud (no). Well, at least we're not as fat as the Scots (news story today), yet.

It's true, Us americans like stuff that you shove in and maybe twist once. Screwing things in is scarey for us; spirals remind us of 'the big questions' and make our heads hurt - so we find ways to do it real quick with power tools.
Good point -- spearing seems almost un-American in its lack of powerful engines. That must be why you have those huge tree trunks with a gizillion bands...and BOATS (knew there had to be a power engine angle there somewhere). The English on the other hand are not to be trusted with their own money or powerful engines:(.

MR-X how is the bass seasone in UK?
we are in the BLUE-Runner & spanish Mackarrels seasone in israel
After a very wet, cool start, things got pretty good towards the end of August & early September. Although I've shot as many mullet (a species I see you are familiar with!) as bass this year; never saw any mullet last year. Got a good catch of scallops, some pollock - no crabs this year (or lobsters) though :(. I hope to get at least one or two more trips in this season -- fingers crossed for more. It's turned cooler, wetter & darker this week but this weekend is looking promising. Looks like the spearos that are still active are getting big fish. I had a good trip in October last year, so there is still time. Never heard of blue-runner but I've heard do the big Spanish Mackeral -- do they taste as good as regular "horse" mackeral:p.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
looking for an inexpensive short gun 70/75cm -- doesn't seem to be worth spending mega-bucks on such a small gun].

A good point Mr X that a Spanish team member told me: those fancy formed tubes (to reduce up/down axis bending when loading) are pointless in guns < 100Cm. Kinda obvious really.

I can see the benefit of a small or hydro side section in strong currents (ie here) as you're not fighting the gun left or right whilst aiming.. That triax idea is nice, and the NON magnum Mambas (35CM tube I think). oh dear, credit card finger getting itchy again......

good huntin'

Spaghetti,

I have a 90cm cobra I'll trade you for a villa on the med plus airfare and a bazillion, gillion dollars or euros or something :cool:

Spaghetti,

I have a 90cm cobra I'll trade you for a villa on the med plus airfare and a bazillion, gillion dollars or euros or something :cool:

sounds like a good deal :).
The bazillion is no problem, but for the gillion I must ask my wife (that's just because many people told me that her gillions are more stylish than mine...)

Hey fellas,

Does anyone know if this is set for US release as well? I already wrote OMER asking, but I'm too impatient to wait for them to answer!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT