• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Children spearo's

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
See anything wrong?

alqaeda-girl-with-gun_7AIjH_16105.jpg

I really hope some of the above opinions are part of an aprils fool... Considering it to be a good idea to hand over a gun to a 4 year old, out of a misunderstanded motive of "starting young" is scary... I think things are getting out of line for you... I'm sure you're a loving and devoted father, but things are getting out of line... Time to rethink the strategy for starting young...

Im a very firm believer in encouraging young children to participate in activities from a young age, whether they are considered dangerous, as there are risks and dangers involved in pretty much every activity/sport/hobby.

Failed logic. Some things are more dangerous than others. Using a gun is one of them. Some things are just not for kids!!!

And as it goes with free dive instructors they would b horrified of pretty all us spearos as very little follow the corect techniqus . .

Failed logic! Because you do dangerous stuff anyway, it's ok to do it with your children??!! No!

I do support the notion on kids starting early with different stuff... but no need to leave the brain at home when doing it...

I don't even want to bother on spelling out what a kids cognitive ability is at 4 years old, and how many factors are at play when freediving and especially spearing. I just hope it's enough with a wake up call!!!! --> Rethink strategy.

Btw, no need at all to worry he will be a teenage punk doing wrong stuff if not starting early: With a good average fathering and guidance, he will grow up just fine even if he starts spearing at the age of 85 years, that's the most likely outcome anyway...

I wish you good luck on you and your sons common hobby and development, I'm sure it will be a good thing for both of you... if you rethink a little...

On a bigger note:

It seems to me like some spearos kind of leave logic and reasoning, once they taken the big step of leaving the safety rules behind and diving alone... like it's an "all or nothing" aproach: If you do one thing you really think you shouldn't, you might just do whatever you like, whatever it is...

Doing spearing is to me a fairly dangerous thing, including a calculated BIG risk... OK, it's your call, a grown up descission... but don't drag kids into that!:rcard

Still hope it's a joke...

Reactions: foxfish
Thing is as a child he wants to be like his dad already, and he has shown a keen interest in spearfishing. With his dad there to take him out and teach him the correct way of spearfishing, taking into account all the dangers and safety risks involved he will learn how to dive safely and understand the inherent risks involved with the sport we all love and enjoy. I think if it is drilled into him from a young age he will respect the sea and become a safer better diver at an older age.

Your picture is a bit irrelevant really, because that is not a hunting gun and it is clear the child isn't hunting.... Plus the fact this whole debate is about a parent guiding a young child, there is no adult present in your picture so I don't see it's relevance to this topic???

The funny thing i find about all this is that i am taking my son snorkling in an area i hav grown up in my hole life and hav had guidance from genorations in the family with some of them being divers coastguard ect. I posted a pic of a suit i made my child for his birthday and he was holding MY SPEARGUN in my conservetry. I then said i would b getting my son into spearfishing and now there is responces like this. The thing out of line is the pic u hav posted and the fact ppl r implying that im an unfit parent. Is discusting. There r some right tools on hear that i wouldnt trust with a chockalte bar let alone a speargun but stil they murder udersize fish shoot there guns out the water losse guns on a beach ect . There has been some good constructiv points raised of ppls concern but the only thing that was intended by my pic was a pic for ppl to enjoy. Not this crap that is totally different. I am insulted that u hav tared me with the same brush as the knobs that put that gun in that kiddys hand

I think if it is drilled into him from a young age he will respect the sea and become a safer better diver at an older age.

That is a fine thought if we were talking about hiking in the forest. But not when talking about: a) handling a gun and b) spearfishing, wich even for adults involves some fairly high degree of risk-taking.

Your picture is a bit irrelevant really, because that is not a hunting gun and it is clear the child isn't hunting.... Plus the fact this whole debate is about a parent guiding a young child, there is no adult present in your picture so I don't see it's relevance to this topic???

That is exactly my point: That regardless of any factors such as if it's a hunting tool, or is adult supervised: No 4 year old should handle a gun (or should be considered to do so in near future). It's a simple point that aplies to both pictures.

There has been some good constructiv points raised of ppls concern but the only thing that was intended by my pic was a pic for ppl to enjoy. Not this crap that is totally different.

I'm sorry to tell you, that you cannot control the how people receive your post. Especially not one like this...

The thing out of line is the pic u hav posted and the fact ppl r implying that im an unfit parent.

Things are not that simple. I'm sure you're a good and loving father in general(it clearly looks like it), as mentioned before. But you need to rethink THIS. You can get angry, sad or confused... Or you can think about it for a while. I'm sad that your fine picture came into this... However, there was an important point to make in my opinion.

I am insulted that u hav tared me with the same brush as the knobs that put that gun in that kiddys hand

I would not for a second think of you like that. The point is: The gun does not belong in a kids hand, regardless of circumstances (wich are clearly different).

Now it's up to you how you deal with that feedback (including the provocative picture)...

What the hell?????

How does a picture of a loan, unsupervised child dressed in a black provocative (considering the present cliamate) outfit holding a machine gun that is specifically made to kill other humans........have absolutely any relavance to a cute picture of father and son sporting happy faces. They are wearing wetsuits and holding fishing equipment in their house.

Can we start a new thread for extreme out of context blown out of all proportion posts???:):):):)

Seriously....if you think it's a bad idea to start that early; just say so without posting pics that compare possible terrorism with a happy lad enoying the possibility of going fishing with his father.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

That's a fair point you've raised about a child handling a gun. But knowing Nobby's boy personally I can tell you he already has an interest in spearfishing, he really wants to be like his dad and catch his own tea. As Nobby has said he already swims in a pool doing underwater widths in water above his depth. The venue Nobby will teach him is one of the safest beaches (probably in the uk), with water not exceeding waist height, and I have swam there since 4 years old with my family. As Kaden has his mind set on becoming a spear fisherman, Nobby doesn't want to break his dreams and say he's too young. He wants him to learn in the safest way possible and enjoy his father son relationship in the water.

As stated he is not giving him a gun straight away, he will teach him to snorkel etc first. The idea of this post was to see what age people thought it would be advisable to tach a child how to spearfish.

That's a fair point you've raised about a child handling a gun. But knowing Nobby's boy personally I can tell you he already has an interest in spearfishing, he really wants to be like his dad and catch his own tea. As Nobby has said he already swims in a pool doing underwater widths in water above his depth. The venue Nobby will teach him is one of the safest beaches (probably in the uk), with water not exceeding waist height, and I have swam there since 4 years old with my family. As Kaden has his mind set on becoming a spear fisherman, Nobby doesn't want to break his dreams and say he's too young. He wants him to learn in the safest way possible and enjoy his father son relationship in the water.

As stated he is not giving him a gun straight away, he will teach him to snorkel etc first. The idea of this post was to see what age people thought it would be advisable to tach a child how to spearfish.

Exactly mate!! I couldnt hav said it better myself. I would rep but gotta spread the love.
Yeah ok a may b guilty of putting a time frame on here but if my son is not showing me it would b a wise choice 2 let him use a spear gun or plole spear i will not b letting him do so. My photo has been abused in this thread and im considering not even posting up pics of any of my catches ect. The true intention is wot is stated in lees post and matts post. But it has been taken out of context and turned round that im some sort of kiddy assasin trainer. It sickens me that some ppl would think that kind of thing and put me in the same group. The fact of the matter is i hav made my son the right suit for british waters . It is open cell suit to keep him warm rather than the poor fittin market crap that some parents put there kids in then wander

How does a picture of a loan, unsupervised child dressed in a black provocative (considering the present cliamate) outfit holding a machine gun that is specifically made to kill other humans........have absolutely any relavance to a cute picture of father and son sporting happy faces.

Because regardless of the very, very, very different cirmstances, both are lethal... Simple as that! It is just much more clear in the second picture...

Can we start a new thread for extreme out of context blown out of all proportion posts???:):):):)

Is it really out of context to be worried about potentially lethal stuff? Or isn't it exactly the wake up call that is called for before an accident occurs, however good and caring the intentions...

Seriously....if you think it's a bad idea to start that early; just say so without posting pics that compare possible terrorism with a happy lad enoying the possibility of going fishing with his father.

People have allready done that in this thread, and still some people argue very strongly for him to take his kid out spearing as early as possible... Using some very illogical reasoning to do dangerous stuff with a 4 year old kid!!!

Strange how people can freak out from me "posting a picture" instead of realising how wrong it is to actually consider let a 4 year old handle a gun... Now THAT is out of proportions... posting a picture > vs.< concern for real kid...

Last edited:
Wonder why there child isfinding it hard to swim in a suit that is made for a child 2-3 yearsolder than they r. Its ok theywill grow into it. My son will b just snorkling for the forseable future and in that respect i think that his age and outstanding abillity is perfectly fine to do so in the chosen beach. Wen the time is right my son will then progress to a pole spear then speargun. Now i cant c any wrong in wot i am doing at all and i think the previous posts r in no way constructive and compleately damaging to the way that my photo was taken . It does not suggest anythin like the other pic does.

I'm not at all judging the intention. Intentions are good, and Nobby seems like a great guy and father... However, things are being rushed regarding the spearo thing IMO.

My photo has been abused in this thread and im considering not even posting up pics of any of my catches ect.

Sorry you got bruised, that's a sad thing, but the bottom line is: This is all about your son (and other kids), and if one year from now he had accidentially shot himself or you, you would give anything to reverse time and get opinions and advice... Now you got it, and ii's up to you from here...

You can edit out he photo I think, if you don't feel like having it out here. It's not about the photo. The photo is ok despite the gun... it's the future that matters.

But it has been taken out of context and turned round that im some sort of kiddy assasin trainer. It sickens me that some ppl would think that kind of thing and put me in the same group.

I don't do that at all. The picture does not show your role or your kids. The picture shows a gun, comparing it to... a gun. It's about guns and how we need to realize that it is a dangerous gun no matter the circumstances!

Please let this be less about you, and more about the future strategy for your kids guidance and introduction to the lovely world in the water...

Is it really out of context to be worried about potentially lethal stuff? Or isn't it exactly the wake up call that is called for before an accident occurs, however good and caring

I do like that u r pointing this out but i hav been out with some guys that r supposed to b expearianced divers from this forum and hav nearly had ny elbow blown off due to ignorance of another diver and distance. I hav had 4 different occasions this has happened form fully grown men that just clearly hav no regard for saftey but still me taching a child is so wrong. The fact he will not hav a gun in his hand loaded straight away is a big factor and the fact he is 5 in four days does put a whole year on wot your emplying that coupled with the season he will hav under his belt of going out with a safe spearo with good knowlage of the area makes him 7 by the time he will b using a pole spear and another season will put him at 8 years old with 2 seasons under his belt at 8 and thats more expearence than a hell of a lot of spearos on this fourum

Thing is as a child he wants to be like his dad already, and he has shown a keen interest in spearfishing. With his dad there to take him out and teach him the correct way of spearfishing, taking into account all the dangers and safety risks involved he will learn how to dive safely and understand the inherent risks involved with the sport we all love and enjoy. I think if it is drilled into him from a young age he will respect the sea and become a safer better diver at an older age.
The thing is though, my 4 year old son has shown a keen interest in driving cars when he is older... doesn't mean I'm going to give the impresion to this forum that I am happy for him to drive... even if I teach him myself and show him to be respectful of the roads and other cars... he is still 4!
In remote area's of the far east there is a multitude of those types of weapons, and they 100% use them for hunting, granted its not clear from the picture, but neither is it clear the child is a child soldier.

Thats 2 years more expeariance without even touching a gun and then maybie then he will b using a gun . So yeah i think i am doing right by my son.

I dont want to start deleting posts and handing out bans....

*****This is the only warning****

Stop getting personal and stay on topic, I can see pro's for encouraging the next generation into the water but it has to be done sensibly.
Lets use this post to discuss and find the best (and safest way) to do it without getting childish ourselves!

Just a heads up to make sure this doesn't go south, a s I'm not sure we have had a post like this, and I want to keep it going!

Last edited:
The thing is though, my 4 year old son has shown a keen interest in driving cars when he is older... doesn't mean I'm going to give the impresion to this forum that I am happy for him to drive... even if I teach him myself and show him to be respectful of the roads and other cars... he is still 4

That is a fair valid point but driving a car is above the ability of a 4 year old child. Whereas snorkelling (leading onto spearfishing flatfish with a pole spear, and eventually spearfishing other fish with a gun) isn't above the ability of a child.

I doubt you have any concerns about going out for a drie with your son, and explaining to him the principle of driving safely..... What's the difference about Nobby taking his son out into the water to teach him the principles of spearfishing?? Obviously starting with basics like snorkelling

I almost forgot about this:

That's a fair point you've raised about a child handling a gun. But knowing Nobby's boy personally I can tell you he already has an interest in spearfishing, he really wants to be like his dad and catch his own tea. (... ) As Kaden has his mind set on becoming a spear fisherman, Nobby doesn't want to break his dreams and say he's too young. He wants him to learn in the safest way possible and enjoy his father son relationship in the water.

It is the adults job to evaluate, adjust and guide childrens impuls to do something... This is when things get tricky, but it should not be the kid setting the pace, because they will often rush things... It is unfortunately the parents job to sometimes break the childrens dreams or at least slow down things a little and guide them... No harm done yet, just need to slow down a bit...

My 2 cents worth:

Cute picture, cute kid. What fun dressing up like Pa. Harmless fun :). By all means have a *responsible* adult on shore with him when you dive sometimes. It's good that you want share your life with your child :)

However, if you are seriously considering (on this April Fools Day), taking a SMALL CHILD (4/5 years old?) in the water spearfishing, please, please think again. While probably well intentioned, it strikes me as DANGEROUS, IRRESPONSIBLE and completely age inappropriate. Instead, why not just tuck him up in bed every night and read him 2 or 3 stories - it will mean the world to him and have much more positive effect and long term benefit (on both of you).

As well as the more obvious risks of diving (such as drowning, SWB, boat accidents, snagging, hypothermia, exhaustion, etc.) and loaded spearguns, I too worry about the psychological impact on the child. Bob Donny covered that well in his earlier post:
I'd feel sad if I saw a 5 year old willing (and enjoying??) dispatching a fish...

I feel unsafe with a loaded gun in the vicinity of a child... I would not even consider them with a loaded gun until they were adolescents at least.

having spent a bit of my career researching kids cognitive development, I can only see negatives to this... I also think cops or social services would not be thinking its a good idea either... Sorry, no offense just my opinion...
also... You know your kid best so my opinion could not be relevant.

When you are a parent for the first time, it is a big learning experience for the parents as well as the child (especially if the grandparents aren't nearby). It is sometimes difficult to assess what is appropriate & when...hopefully this thread has provided some food for thought? If in doubt, be cautious - this is a vulnerable little human child. You are personally, entirely responsible for his safety and his behaviour, morally and legally.

Last edited:
Is it really out of context to be worried about potentially lethal stuff? Or isn't it exactly the wake up call that is called for before an accident occurs, however good and caring

I do like that u r pointing this out but i hav been out with some guys that r supposed to b expearianced divers from this forum and hav nearly had ny elbow blown off due to ignorance of another diver and distance. I hav had 4 different occasions this has happened form fully grown men that just clearly hav no regard for saftey but still me taching a child is so wrong. The fact he will not hav a gun in his hand loaded straight away is a big factor and the fact he is 5 in four days does put a whole year on wot your emplying that coupled with the season he will hav under his belt of going out with a safe spearo with good knowlage of the area makes him 7 by the time he will b using a pole spear and another season will put him at 8 years old with 2 seasons under his belt at 8 and thats more expearence than a hell of a lot of spearos on this fourum
Sorry my maths is wrong on this. It would make him 7 with 2 seasons uner his belt and prob still will use a pole spear at this time then at 8 with 3 seasons and showing the right attitude will b using a gun. I think this is a responsible way to teach him and a good age with the water experiance to b using a gun

I almost forgot about this:

It is the adults job to evaluate, adjust and guide childrens impuls to do something... This is when things get tricky, but it should not be the kid setting the pace, because they will often rush things... It is unfortunately the parents job to sometimes break the childrens dreams or at least slow down things a little and guide them... No harm done yet, just need to slow down a bit...

I understand this (despite not having kids myself) but I know I wouldn't have any concerns about taking my son into the water to be with him to enjoy the sea and explain to him about safety risks etc.

I think a lot of people have misunderstood Nobby's idea here, he will not be throwin his lad off a pier with a gun and saying "shoot a fish". He will be taking him out snorkelling to get him used to the underwater environment and teach him about the sea. Whilst keeping a watchful eye in his every move. Eventually he will introduce him to spears and spearguns, this could be after 1 year or it could be after 4 years +. It is the idea of teaching him the principles of spearfishing starting with the basics of snorkelling and respect for the sea

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT