• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey mile!

If you keep posting this way I'll be starting to arrange organised trips to your home!!!!!!!!!

I already checked on ticket prices! :D

By the way, what do you do with all the fish? I'm sure you cant eat all of them! :confused:
I hope none are wasted!

Well Desperate Dan ate all the cow pies and Miles, well shall we say there's no waste ;) Apart from knowing what happens to Miles's fish now myself, I think that was probably a question that shouldnt be asked with reference to Miles.
As regards trips to RSA, contact Bluecape and lookm at this http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52522 Although it seems a bit dead I'm assured that all is underway, so Colin and I will with luck be challenging Miles for the RSA pie eating championship in 2006 ;)

i also checked the prices but 1400 ticket price shocked me:mute

On the Map, egypt seems pretty close here, may be i should swim there then take the taxi/camel to the cape town, woow...this will be a trip to remmember...May be i can spear few lions, zebra etc..on the wayrofl rofl :blackeye

Well, you said you wanted to get one...

Do yourself a favor. Print out the rules for all the spearfishing records and read them. Have the forms printed out in duplicate and carry them with you. Bring pens and your camera. Get all the paper work filled out as soon as you get back. Rinse. Repeat.

Oh, w/ tuna make sure you get photo's for positive fish ID. I don't know if the pectoral fins will sufice, can't hurt to e-mail IBSRC or IUSA. Good luck.

YF Tuna, Cape Town, South Africa......fun with Tommy Botha's wooden guns!!!

Hiya

Well, after being blown off the sea last week, and due to work constraints (must be able to pay for all that spearing gear!!!), the weather gods smiled upon us again!!!!!

We took a bit of a hiding on the first 10nm part of the trip. VERY bumpy sea. Managed to break the stainless roll/ski bar on the back of the boat. Then the one motor refused to run. Managed to track the fault down to the fuel tanks breather not being open!!!!! (crew member is to blame) Then find petrol on the deck of the boat. Same crew member didn't connect the fuel lines properly after filling up fuel. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

None-the-less, the crew of intrepid tuna hunters set forth, overcoming all the obstacles that wanted to twart their trip!!!!:D :D My girlfriend unfortunately had to work so i asked another spearo buddy to join us. He took a two hour flight, straight after his work, had no sleep, to go tuna spearing!!! NOW thats DEDICATION!!!!!

Out on the tuna grounds, the sea improved (as Bouyweather.com predicted) and the wind subsided, making it a stunning day. Myself and Tommy Botha jumped in first and about one and a half minutes later i see Tommy's float cartwheeling!!!!! 15minutes later theres a 60kg fish on board.

A little later, Tommy speared a BIG fish. I threw his kill gun to him, and 10 minutes later the fish was still swimming strong. I then passed another kill gun to him, which he uses to shoot the fish through the head. 5minutes later, fish is still swimming strong!!!!!!! He then grabs the spear on both sides and swims the tuna up. All HELL breaks loose and that tuna dragged and jumped and was beating the water to a froth, all with Tommy holding on!!!! WHAT A RIDE!!!!!! Probably rode that tuna for about 4-5 minutes. Noboby could get close as this fish was swimming in great big circles with Tommy keeping his head out of the water, so as to prevent him from swimming down.

After that, we all took a fish, with my buddy landing his first YF. I then also lost another one when the boat drove over my shooting line. Lost 2 spears too!!! Expensive day!! Also learnt that 10mm spears (3/8" ) also bends!!!! Not even gonna say much about the bent 7 and 8mm spears!!!

After about 4 hours on the tuna grounds we had to leave as there was no more place on the boat!!!!!!!! Looks like i'm gonna need a bigger boat soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Final tally:
Nikko 55kg's (estimated)
Miles 55 kg's (estimated)
Henni 55kg's (estimated)
Tommy 65kg's (estimated)
Tommy 85 kg's - weighed
Tommy 92kg's - weighed

Regards
miles

Reactions: Oldsarge

Attachments

• YF in backof boat.JPG
    YF in backof boat.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 170
  • YF in front on boat.JPG
    YF in front on boat.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Tommy Botha 92kg on scale.JPG
    Tommy Botha 92kg on scale.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Tommy and Nico with 85kg YF in water.JPG
    Tommy and Nico with 85kg YF in water.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Tommy Botha 92kg on boat.JPG
    Tommy Botha 92kg on boat.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Amazing mate!!!!
It's just a matter of time before one of you lads lands the next WR YF.

Cheers,
Mikko

Dude, those are amazing fish!!! congratulations!

and still cant believe they can bend a 10mm spear!

Hiya Mikko

Not very likely!!!!

Unfortunately, we only get them to about 120kg's. Very few have been caught over 110kg's. Every season a couple of 100kg fish are landed. The SA record stands at 85kg's. A couple of 90kg+ fish have been shot, but all the guys are looking for a 100kg fish to claim a new SA record!!!!

Memo, a 10mm spear is unbelievable thick and solid. Shake a 1.8m 10mm spear and it doesn't even wobble. But YES, they still bend 'em!!!!!

Regards
miles

Congratulations again miles.

Now all you need is to buy a Sony T1 camera and housng like ive done and film the speactacle for us DB members

You still using one or 2 body boards?

Shane

Hiya

Shaca, you got a link for that Sony camera?? Was looking at getting me a sony cybershot with housing.

Only using one boogie board. Adequate at the moment!!!

Was wondering about trying those Pneumatics guns. You got a link??

Regards
miles

What did Papa Iya tell you young man......"10mm spear will also bend on such tuna" .......:D :D ...now my Son, do you believe it now.........:D :D

South Africa..........I am coming.......:D :D ......yum yum catch Miles....I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great spearfishing day! Congratulations guys!
One day I ll go to fish in SA, hopefully soon.

Cheers,

RCC

Hello miles!

I believe you should get a section of your own in the hunting section!!!! I'm about to cry! :waterwork

great catch!!!! ;)

Here is the link to the camera and housing

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/d_stills/sony/mpk_tha.html

Which pneumatics, the mamba or the hydropneumatic fernando abella is using???

If its the Mamba its www.maorisub.it

The T1 is a Cybershot but credit card sized with 5.1MP resolution

WIth a 512MB chip you get about 22-23mins of full screen footage with sound. The 1GB chip is also out soon, but you'll run out of battery befroe your chip is full.

Let me know if you need any help with those airguns.

Originally posted by miles
Hiya

Shaca, you got a link for that Sony camera?? Was looking at getting me a sony cybershot with housing.

Only using one boogie board. Adequate at the moment!!!

Was wondering about trying those Pneumatics guns. You got a link??

Regards
miles

Great fish once again Miles.Soon you'll need to be going out just you and a dive buddy to make space for all the 100kg YF's !! ;)

Daryl told him about the 10mm spear too:D The tuna accelerates so fgast that it will bend any spear before the slip tip has a chance to disengage. The only way to prevent it is to a)stone the fish or (b) shot the fish at an angle where hes swimming away

Nice fish again Miles!:cool:

Re: Dassen Island, Cape Town, South Africa

Hiya

I've FINALLY managed to get my camera fixed!!!

Lastest adventures!!
Friday, 4th Feb 2005, Dassen Island AGAIN!!! No diving kit, as i'm recovering from a slight flu and Tommy is recovering from an ear infection. So out comes the fishing tackle. At certain times of the year, Longfin Tuna (albacore) come very close to Dassen Island, and are quite easily caught. They're generally small class fish, ranging from 3-10kg's. We heard via the grape-vine that the fish were in the area, so off we went. We spent the morning catching 15 Longfin Tuna. Good fun, but no camera, so no evidence!!

On saturday, 5th Feb , the wife MADE me take her fishing. Once again, no diving kit. We faired very badly, managing only 2 smallish longfins. To save the day, we went to look for some yellowtail. Low and behold, the 'tail were swimming on the surface, smashing baitfish in 20m+VIZ. As usual, they weren't interested in fishing tackle, so we managed only 3. All through the 'tail performance, Tommy and myself were cussing at not bringing our spearguns!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Oh well, you can't ALWAYS win!!

Monday, 7th Feb, back at Dassen. Fully kitted with 15 guns on board!!! RESULT: NO FISH!!!!!!!! Water was ice cold!!! And we took for-ever to navigate in the mist. (I really do need to get a plotter soon!!) Souveniers for the day is a spectacular photo of the lighthouse in the mist as well as the curious sunfish. Well, one of the MANY we saw!!!

Regards
miles

Re: Dassen Island, Cape Town, South Africa

Some pic's:

Attachments

• sunfish4.jpg
    sunfish4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 167
  • sunfish3.jpg
    sunfish3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 150
  • lighthouse2.jpg
    lighthouse2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 175
  • fish box.jpg
    fish box.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 156
  • zazu with tuna and tail.jpg
    zazu with tuna and tail.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 194
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT