• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Great fish Miles !! As Mark said you should find yourself very popular amongst some of the local divers looking for the marks where you scored those beasts.:)

Nice stuff Miles, seems you'll be eating fish cakes for the rest of the year!!! (and next!)

Justin

Congratulations Miles!

I was just in downtown Doha getting some broken gear fixed when I get a call, " Get home and check out the Monsters Miles just nailed." Beautiful fish!!!! I envy you down there with those HUGE fish. Congrats again and keep it up.

Anton

*Goes and cries in a corner*

See Miles? Look what you have done to me!

Good stuff man! I like tunnies!

Yellowfin Tuna Againnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiya,

Once again the weather gods has decided to send stormy seas our ways for the weekend. Checking the weather forecast, a brief lull was shown, sort of calm before the storm!! Soooo, what do we do, we go spearing!!!!

After ANOTHER double shift, my manager arrives 1hour later than planned, so our trip starts off late. None-the-less, we arrive at the slip, only to find the sea enveloped in a THICK mist. We are two boats running out together, one a 25' Fibreglass cat with 2x130hp Honda the other my 21' Semi-Rigid with 2x50hp Yamahas 4strokes. We both launch and make the 10nm trip to the POINT.

Ok, now i take the lead and almost end up driving onto the rocks on the beach, i then decide to follow the bigger boat, only to have him almost ride into a HUGE rock!!!! Ok, so now we've proven to our respective crews that we're totally useless with out navigational equipment, we FINALLY USE our electronics to safely guide us to the POINT.

I some-how managed to lose Tommy and crew in that thick mist and when i got to the point, the mist had cleared and no boats are seen!!! Decided to run out the 30nm or so and get them on the tuna grounds.

As we leave the POINT, we're welcomed by 3 whales that seem to take immense pleasure in breaching, showering all with the spray when they come crashing down!!!! Simaltaneously a school of spinner dolphins were smashing bait fish on the surface, with the usual entourage of seal, terns and various other sea bird!!! What a start!!!

One and a half hours later, we're on the tuna grounds and Tommy catch's up with us. We find two boats fighting YF and run slightly away from them, using the echo, find some fish and start chumming them. I slip into the clean blue water, only to see plenty of small YF in the 30-40kg class. (more about this SMALL YF's later!!!). I aim, and MISS......................noooooooooooo. Load up, yes they're still around, aim, MISS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

The sad part is that this happened on about 8 shots, (this is with my 63" and my 57" and my 1.3m Rabitech Apex!!!!!) so feeling like a complete idiot i finally get onto the boat. Henni also gets in and is also complaining about missing the fish. Even Attie Louwrens, also a nationally selected spearo, complained about not being able to hit the fish!!!

Anycase, i FINALLY manage to feed a smallish looking tuna a chunk of 8mm steel. The boat comes over and asks if i want a second gun. I decline and tell them its a small fish and i'd have it in the boat in five minutes!!! 30minutes later, i BEG for a second gun!!!! One hour has passed, the fish now has two spears in it and still no sign of the end is near!!!! I load a third gun, and just about manage to get a lovely kill shot!!!!! Finally she is IDB!!!!!

The SMALL fish turns out to be a 71Kg !!!!! Lesson learnt, those big fish LOOK small in that clean water. Especially when they're far from you!!!!

Tommy them did quite well, with each diver taking a fish and Tommy taking 3!!!!! Well done!!!!!!!!

Regards
miles

Picture on the boat!!

Attachments

• miles 71kg on boat.jpg
    miles 71kg on boat.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 870
Taken at work!!!

Attachments

• miles 71kg at work.jpg
    miles 71kg at work.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 776
Reactions: rigdvr
Re: Yellowfin Tuna Againnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by miles
The SMALL fish turns out to be a 71Kg !!!!! Lesson learnt, those big fish LOOK small in that clean water. Especially when they're far from you!!!!
Tut Tut! You really should take more care! :)
I'm really impressed with you guys, I'm sure shooting a fish as small as 71Kg is no small thing, something I could never do thats for sure :waterwork Just have to content myself with looking at the piccies you post
Keep them coming Miles they're the best fish any of us are catching!

Jeez Miles, you are really putting me under pressure now :D

Whats that gun in PIC2?

Keep it up bro.

Shane

Damn..........I am drooling this moment..........:p :confused: ....as buckets and buckets being filled, I am still drooling.......:D

Well done Miles and friends.........visibility 100 feet or more has done me the same damage.....;)

Keep them stories coming.....Bravo !!!

very very nice pictures miles,i saw all of the crew preffer to use same guns for these monsters:D You just need to practice your aim with them:naughty :D ;)

Oh boy.......
Miles, you guys are having it too good down there.

Great fish again! Congrats!

Cheers,
Mikko

Last edited:
UNBELIEVABLE! Congats, Miles!
I am thinking about taking a trip to Costa Rica for some of this YF action. Do you think a RA 130 would work? What kind of set up did you end up using for these monsters?
:p :p :p
BTW, Tommy Botha has a similar boat to mine: I have a 26' cat with twin Hondas 130's too. I guess he knows to pick good boats :) :)

Angelos

Last edited:
Hiya

Thanx every-one!!:D :D :D

Ali, actually not all that difficult to shoot one of them. Landing them how-ever takes a bit longer!!! Next time you're in this part of the world, i'll make sure you get to shoot one of 'em!!!

shaneshac, that fish was taken with my 47" Woodie. Lost the spear on my 62" woodie........(lonnnnnng story!!!)

murat, my aiming is just fine!!! Simply because we're so used to dirty water, the clean water had us baffled. 70-80kg fish that are swimming 20m from you look like 40-50kg fish swimming 5-6m in front of you. Thats the reason we were missing those fish!!!!

Frogman, thats not Tommy's boat. He's got a 6.5m Mako Semi-rigid with 2x50hp yahama's 4strokes. For this class fish a 1.3m Railgun might work if the water isn't too clean. For clean water definitely invest in a mid-handled wooden gun. Railguns are awesome, and certainly are more than adequate for 90% of spearing. How-ever, trophy hunting BIG blue water pelagics require specific gear. Look at a Riffe or something similar. Tommy also sells his guns fairly cheaply, and as you can see from the pictures, there's no doubt that they do work!!!

Regards
miles

Miles...ever wanted to shoot a Wong? I might need to fly over with the collection to show them to you personally....:D Nice fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT