• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Poly,
You should try going to Hawaii. Albacore that size are not at all uncommon.
The albies along our coast tend to be smaller, because of the way we fish for them. If different methods were employed, you'd likely see more large fish.

25 April 2007

Fished in a local comp. on my friends 32' cat. Lumpy 10' swell with 25knts of wind. Not for the faint-hearted or those prone to sea-sickness!! Spent the first hour trying to troll in that conditions, with very little success. After persuading the skipper, he allows me to take charge and 10 minutes later, triple hook-up on bait!! I boated my fish very quickly, and proceded to take some pic's and make some video clips!! We ended up having a HOT school of YF hitting chum right next to the boat.

Unfortunately, my friends daughter fell ill and was admitted to hospital, so when he recieved that message, we simply up-ed lines and ran for home. The fish will always be there, family comes first!!

At the scales, we didn't fare that well. My wife took second place in the womans division, with a 63kg (138lb's) YF and we took about 8th place in the mens largest YF for the day. Not bad for 1.5hrs fishing!! My buddy took first place for the day with a 86kg (189lb's).

Thankfully, my friends daughter has been dis-charged today, so those fish better beware for the rest of the comp!!!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 183
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: Marwan
28 April 2007

Second day of the comp. Once again, a fairly lumpy sea, which became rather pleasant towards mid-morning, only to deteriorate again, later.....

Unfortunately, we simply couldn't find the bigger class of YF's, all our fish were in the 120-130lb class. We DID how-ever find a school of very decent sized albacore, with my wife taking a 25.75kg (56.65lb's) albacore, which earned her second place in the MENS albacore section for the day, as well as second largest albacore for the comp!! We also managed to take 4th, 5th and 6th place for overall largest albacores, all our fish 48-55lb's.

Final prize giving tomorrow, so i'll know whether my wife will take top ladies angler and whether we'll get top boat as well.......

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 176
Hiya

Some random pic's of the last few days.......

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Mr. X
Update time!!

Been quite busy for the last couple of weeks, with some good weather allowing us to get out quite a bit.

The tuna scene has quitened down a bit, but we still managed to eke out a couple of fish.

Picture1 - yet another 29kg (64lb's) Albacore. Simply CAN'T seem to break the 30kg barrier!!

Picture2 - some Yellowfin marks on my echo-sounder, showing between 20-30m deep

Picture3 and 4 - crew posing with yet another tuna!!:D:D

Picture5 - stunning end to a wonderful day at sea!!:D:D

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 197
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 177
See-ing how poorly the tuna have been lately, my crew desperately wanted some fresh fish for their homes....... so off to harrass some inshore fish!!

Fishing with the usual handlines, i hooked into a small cat/dog shark of about a meter (3') long. At the same time, my mobile phone rings. I leave the line and answer the phone, jamming it between my ear and shoulder, so that i can continue pulling up the pesky little shark. At the boat, i look down into the water, only to be greeted by a 3m Great White baring its teeth at me!!! I quickly drop the phone, pass the line to a crew member and dive into the cabin for my camera!! The GW chomped the small shark on my line in half, then turned. The crew member i had passed my line to, had meanwhile pulled the head part of the now deceased shark back to the boat. The GW ended up JUMPING out of the water to get the remaining head part that was still attached to my line, smashing into the side of the boat in the process!!! Luckliy the boat wasn't damaged. Unfortunately for me, i was too slow with the camera and only got a photo of the shark passing the back of the boat. Tried chumming to get him to come back, but it was not to be........

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 230
GW inshore. The last thing i wanted to know.
You know Dani have called "Mako" his new RIB?
I did ask him why and he told me "You always remember the first mako that try to bite you"
;-)

I've found that the best chum for a White is the crap settling in my foul weather pants! :eek:

Great report as always, Miles. And answer your PM.

this is incredible! very inspiring photos and stories, perhaps one day i will upgrade to some big game like this ;)

oh and i just read the story of the great white, you are very brave to be huntington off south africa lol.

ill be back to check this thread every few days :cool:

Hiya

Been VERY busy the last few months!! Been neglecting this thread!!:(

So, here's some pictures just to fill in the gaps......

Attachments

• rib.JPG
    rib.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 178
  • roman and elf.JPG
    roman and elf.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Gamie romans.JPG
    Gamie romans.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Miley.JPG
    Miley.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 80kg Yellowfin.JPG
    80kg Yellowfin.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: BatRay
More tasty reef fish....

Attachments

• wife skippering.JPG
    wife skippering.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 154
  • wife double header.JPG
    wife double header.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 158
  • catch of the day.JPG
    catch of the day.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Maiden Voyage Quota.JPG
    Maiden Voyage Quota.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Romans.JPG
    Romans.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 144
Whale and her calf and some more fishin' pic's

Attachments

• whale2.JPG
    whale2.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 146
  • whale1.JPG
    whale1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 138
  • whale and calf.JPG
    whale and calf.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 140
  • catch.JPG
    catch.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: spaghetti
Also had one of my BEST diving experiences on a small little island called Ile Aux Natte, which is situated just off Ilse St. Marie, which in turn is a small island just off Madagascar!!:D:D

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 142
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 154
more pictures.....

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: Marwan
last few pictures.....

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 126
  • cray.JPG
    cray.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 157
No, Miles again, no please. no, do not do it again, please please ....

Just do not mention the "Tuna" statistics in the last months, i belive i could not resist that numbers. :naughty :head :friday

PD: There were big fish in these months?

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT