• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
fer_abella, i think you need to come visit soon!! Over the last 2 weeks, over 5 YF in the 100kg class were landed!!:D:D

Busy rigging out my new boat!! 33' (10m) of pure fish slaying boat!!:D:D Need some Pescasub stickers!!:D:D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 197
Interested in your new boat Miles - what is it ? What you gunner power it with?

Hiya

Foxfish, its a 33' (10m) butt-cat. Same as my previous boat, only much wider and longer. Boat weighs 2500kg's excluding motors and fuel. Will be powering her with 2x225hp Honda 4stroke's. Built to carry 2000-3000kg's of Yellowfin Tuna plus 2000kg's of ice!!:D:D Notice the lack of "motor well" at the rear. Thats to ensure that when you take a wave over the front of your boat, the water simply runs off the rear!! Not a pretty boat, but a very functional fish slaying machine!!:D:D

marginatus, sharp eye!! Yes, that is one of Pelaj's proto-type guns which they asked me to test. I haven't shot anything over 10kg's yet with it, so i haven't put it through it paces on big fish yet. When we were in Madagascar, the chef asked me to shoot some "kapitan" for the resort. Its a small fish, weighing 1-2kg's. First 3 shots with the gun, was through the eyes of the fish, PRECISELY where i aimed!! Thats with a 1.4m gun with 2x16mm bands and a 7mm spear. AWESOME accuracy!! My impression is that its a very well built gun and has one of the BEST muzzles on the market. I've yet to miss a fish with the gun, which should bear testament to its accuracy. The tuna season has started off very slowly here, so i'll probably get to spear a decent fish with the gun in the next week or two. I think they're going to do exceptionally well with their new gunz!!:D:D

Haha, butt cat. Glad to see things have been going well for ya, Miles! Has the good Dr. Fish been out on these adventures, too?

Nice catches Miles but some of those Romans are looking suspiciously close to the small side :confused: Or does commercials have different catch and size limits?

marginatus, sharp eye!! Yes, that is one of Pelaj's proto-type guns which they asked me to test. I haven't shot anything over 10kg's yet with it, so i haven't put it through it paces on big fish yet. When we were in Madagascar, the chef asked me to shoot some "kapitan" for the resort. Its a small fish, weighing 1-2kg's. First 3 shots with the gun, was through the eyes of the fish, PRECISELY where i aimed!! Thats with a 1.4m gun with 2x16mm bands and a 7mm spear. AWESOME accuracy!! My impression is that its a very well built gun and has one of the BEST muzzles on the market. I've yet to miss a fish with the gun, which should bear testament to its accuracy. The tuna season has started off very slowly here, so i'll probably get to spear a decent fish with the gun in the next week or two. I think they're going to do exceptionally well with their new gunz!!:D:D

thanks! their muzzle looks great as all the gun... we'll wait for some bigger fish action for a review... Nice Boat

Hiya

Nice catches Miles but some of those Romans are looking suspiciously close to the small side Or does commercials have different catch and size limits?
deep thinker, ALL of those fish pictured are indeed size. They were all caught from a recreational vessel. Not that it matters, as even commercials have to abide by the same size limits as the recreationals.

Look closer at those pic's, maybe the 3kg+ romans that you're seeing is making their size counterparts look a bit on the small side!!:D:D

Deepthinker, a few more BIG roman pic's!!:D:D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: podge
man you're a legend, just spent about an hour reading the entire thread. your wife finds time to spear as well? that's brilliant, as i've only a year left to go in med school. nice to know its not ALL work!!!
when i'm finished might just head your direction. is it dificult for doctors to get work there?

Following steps still need to be done:

Sort the seating arrangements. Need to buy some nice not too hard, not too foam and cover it in the appropriate uphostery. I designed the cabin so that there is two bunks that we can sleep on. One for me and the other for the wife!!

Add some anti-slip to the gunwhale and fish box lids, just to break the monotonous white colour!!

Fit a sprayer rail and rod holders.

Fit an inverter and a pool pump. For those not in the know, a inverter with a normal pool pump work BRILLIANTLY!! MUCH better than your normal deckwash pumps and considerabily cheaper too!!

And finally, cover the decks with some fish!!!:D:D:D

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 197
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 188
a real action machine there bro... post the fish pics soon, when is the tuna season opening up

Good Boat Miles !!! Perfect for fishing in your cool waters.rofl

Greetings to you, your wife and Tommy.

I don't read this post many months ago, and like always you surprise me with your catchs. Congratulations.

Carlos.

Update time again!!

After my brief spearing hiatus, which saw me on a sojourn to the stunning province of Saskachewan, Canada, i was back to harrass the local fish population.

Landed on Wednesday, after 38 hours of travelling. Managed to get to bed at 2pm........

Doorbell wakes me up at 7:00am!! Bleary-eyed, i stumble out of bed. Opened the door, only to be met by a grinning buddy, speargun in his hand!! He needs some crimps and INSISTS that i join him for a spearfishing session.

My response, HELL YEAH!!:D:D Quickly threw my gear into my boat, packed everything and off we went. Greeted by a flat sea, with average viz., and a 11 degrees celcuis water temp. Bugger!! I brought my 3mm wetsuit....rofl

Anyways, spent the next 5 hours diving, shooting small reef fish up to 2kg's. GREAT FUN to get wet agian!!

Few days later....... i call Tommy.......mmmm....his phone is off....which means he's at sea. Call again and his phone rings........"Hello....where are you??.....WHERE???......jeez!!!....i'll be there now!!!"

Packed the car and drove 650km's to get to them!!:D:D

Water was 19degrees on the surface, with a thermocline at about 4-5m, which meant we had to hunt in the warmer shallower waters. Viz. was a horrible 3m vertical, but 6-8m once you got below 5m. Plan of action was to target the white musselcrackers in the shallow white water.

Jumped in, swam to the breaking pinnacle. Almost on the pinnacle, in 3m water depth, a school of large yellowtail come belting pass. I get a long shot on a fish swimming away from me and then all hell breaks loose!! Try keeping a large yellowtail off the reef in 3m of water!!rofl Grabbed the spearline and wrapped it around my glove. TRIED swimmimg the fish off the reef, but he managed to pull me under-water!!rofl Thankfully i had carbon fins on and managed to bully him off the reef and into slightly deeper water. Got my hands in his gills and despatched him. GREAT!! Not even in the water for 5 minutes and i've already got a nice fish.

Spent the next few hours looking for quality fish. Every dive you would see a spearable fish of 3kg's+, but we were specifically looking for large 'cracker and red steenbras. One of the nicest dives was when there was 3 red stump's, a poenskop, 2 red steenbras and a large 'cracker on the same reef!! Not even mentioning the roman and galgoen and parrots and BIG bronze breams all milling around the same pinnacle.........

Final Tally of the largest fish were:
Yellowtail - 18kg's, 15kg's and 12kg's
White Musselcracker - 13kg's and 8kg's
Red Steenbras - 14kg's
Poenskop - 5kg's and 6kg's

Not bad for 4hours spearing.....:D:D

Attachments

• catch.JPG
    catch.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 182
  • catch2.JPG
    catch2.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 166
  • dolphin.JPG
    dolphin.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 156
  • great view.JPG
    great view.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 164
  • miles.JPG
    miles.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 183
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT