• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: ponzu

Originally posted by Spearooo
One word:
Ponzu sauce

One Other Word: True! Yep, Ponzu does the trick! Perhaps one of our Miami members can log in and give his "secret" recipes.

Good report and catch Milers! Keep 'em cuming!
:D

I Rabiteched some morsals just yesterday, including the two pictured, diving with a few members of this forum. Don't feel like using my own thread for it, hope you don't mind me putting them in yours. Be safe out there in those "sharky" waters.

Adios,

Attachments

• red grove.jpg
    red grove.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 526
Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Hiya Rolando

Nice fish!!! I've learn't a new word
today ........"Rabiteched!!!!":D :D Hope you don't mind if i use it in the future!!:D :D I'm going to get me some reading material on this whole sushi thing. Will keep every-one posted about the expedition into the world of culinary delights!!!! (seems like i'm the only bugger that hasn't tried it yet!!)

Regards
miles

sushi

Ponzu sauce is basacally soyy souce but much better. You can buy it premade or make it yourself. I usually buy it but I have heard of some interesting variations. One of wich includes soy, lemon juice, honey, powdered garlic and rice vinegar. I also heard about adding bonito flakes and chili powder..Im just starting my sushi obsssesion but im sure other members will have some more insight.. For sashimi MAke sure to bleed and promptly ice your catch and only use the freshest fish..all I do is fillet, takeoff skin cut out bones as slice as thim as possible. Arrange on a plate with some shreded onions maybe some shreded carrots or radish as well, sprinkle with a few seaseme seeds and serve with ponzu and tereyaki for dipping. sometimes ill take mayonaise and mix it with hot sauce and serve that too, each in a little diping cup on the side. and another favorite sacue is mayo, lemon peel, ginger, galric powder, salt ,and a dash of rice vinegar. The key to sushi in my opinion is in the sauces and presentation, of course the the fish is most important factor in the equation.....get chopsticks and enjyoy
hope it helps a bit

Reactions: Pablo
Here's the real deal!

1. Equal parts vinegar (I use red wine vinegar because it could be found in every store anywhere, and white vinegar for some reason I associate a woman cleansing ... ... well, never mind that. Rice vinegar for me is not very acid, could be expensive and not stocked in most stores), soy sauce (this is the key, using GOOD soy sauce; either Yamasa or Kikkoman will do. If you cannot find any of two, fried the fish, sprinkle some lemon, layback with a lager and forget the sushi: soy sauce is the KEY to sushi so you must use a good one), and lemon juice (not picky about this one, you could use the yellow or the green ones and your neighbor if he turns into a purple lemon)

2. Pour (think about when a bartender splashes a [touch of water when you order a scotch and water from the bar] just a splash of orange juice (yes, it could be from a carton but must be 100% juice.....of course, a fresh orange will be do).

That's it for now. Mix it, try it and play with it. Add perhaps a bit more soy sauce if you find it too acidic. Play with it until you get the flavor or balance that you like........just as long as you use the aforementioned ingredients.

I don't recommend honey because the acidity of the vinegar and lemon and the saltiness of the soy, will bring the sweetness of the raw fish to life. If a sweetner such as honey is added, your palate will struggle to appreciate the very subtle sweetness of the fish. In layman's term, overkill.

Once you have mastered the art of "simple" Pon zu making, then we could talk about adding Dashi or Hana-Katsuo. I'll stay tuned.

Have fun and don't be scared. Use a freshly caught fish and as Spearoooo said, "...slice the fish very thin, a style the Japs dubbed as Uzuzukuri.

See ya!

Reactions: Pablo
Island_sands seem to like my raw eating tips... anytime darling :p !

Seriously is a bit hard to explain with my clumsy english... nothing like a demo!

Raw fish is raw fish, and the trick is on the fish preparation. As say Rafael bleed to fish is an imperative... Each fish and fillet have a different way to be cut, but generally is against the fibber of the meat. A good razor sharp knife should get you the slices on a single stroke... a bit of practice helps!

They are many recipes for raw fish: sushi, sashimi, futomaki... (my Japanese spelling s*cks!!!).
One of my friends favorites:

Take a nice belly filet (softer than the back) form a 20Kg tail , remove the red area and clean lose bits to have a nice and uniform shape (need to be thick).
Roast some white sesame on a hot pan with out stop removing until golden.
Heat until smoking some olive oil and roll the filet until the outside have a nice color (1-2 min max).
Let relax for a couple of min.

During this time tie a small bunch of spring onions and fry it on the oil left until soft.
Crush a tea spoon of the roast sesame seeds, add some wasawi powder, soya sauce, and the spring onions... 5 min of resting to let the aromas develop.

Now you can cut the filet on really thin slices (no more than 1-2mm, less if you can) and keeping everything on a nice order (don't lay the slices flat... better all against each other like rebuilding the filet). The fish is raw... just the outside 2mm should be cooked.

Sprinkle with the roast sesame left (don't be sparse), and serve with wood sticks... raw fish doesn't like metal.

The idea is to pick some fish, have a small dip on the sauce and straight on to the mouth.

Seem like a lot of work, but the results are worth it and island_sands can not resist... :D :D

The roe is best smoked, but not too hot or they will dry out.

Miles, you have one more reason to show up over here: SA kingfish are not big enough!!! ;) ;)

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
uh...

now i am really in love!
:inlove :inlove :inlove :inlove :inlove :inlove :inlove

how can you do this to me when i am breakfasting on cheese and wholewheat crackers, when i'd rather be on miso soup and a couple of california rolls???

huhhhh... miso sup with smoke marlin and some sea weed is the first think after the swimming!

hmmm... what about sailfish sashimi? i had that on a resort here in Maldives (you should see our sailfish they are incredible!)
smoked marlin... oh man...

*chomping away on crackers feeling suicidal*

Hard to cut properly, but delicious... cold smoke is nice too. I have a couple of Kg on the freezer for rices or soups.
Keep as well some dry smoke trout for the miso soups... to have a change...

Hiya

Thanx for the recipes guys!!!! Armed with these, i'm eager to start my culinary adventure!!!!

Pablo, yeah, looks like i'll have to come visit sometime soon!!!:D :D :D I'll just sharpen my skills on our little "runt" kingies!!:D :D :D

Regards
miles

Cold smoke... the temperature of the smoke is under 60º (aprox). The smoke salmon is done this way. The fish stays raw and preserved thanks to some of the agents on the smoke, but depending on the size of the fish he can take a while to get good results.

Hot smoke... the temperature is above 80-100º (aprox). The fish is cook and is the way the average steel smoker works. A few min to have a nice and moist fish for the table.

Real hot smoke... Above 150º some cancerigen components start to deposit on the fish: not recommended... well, unless you already smoke: on that case he doesn't make much of a difference!

Dipping: in some places you can buy a liquid to "smoke" food... I can not say much about because I've never try!

You must try and experiment... I like the fish raw, and find the cold smoke more accord to the delicacy of the fish flesh taste. Hot smoke can be a bit strong if you use too much wood... but is all according to your taste!

Cold smoke kingfish (marlin), thinly sliced and served with a salad of shaved cucumber, cottage cheese (fresh goat cheese if you find it) a olive/lemon/rosmarin sauce and slightly "garliqued" toasts is a real treat.

A real delicate way to cook your soft fleshed fish is:
Gut the fish thought the gills (leave the scales and forget about the fridge), submerge on a fish stock/white whine and slowly heat up until 70-80º... no more (I use a digital thermometer stolen from the office). After a few min your fish have an amazing consistency between raw and cook: moist and tender close to perfection. He does take some practice to get it right, but unforgettable served with a safran white sauce...

dam! I'm starving now...

The pic of a trout preserved with cold smoke during a remote trip.

uh.... i am not reading these posting any more!
i am getting too hungry and no access to any good food :(

Oi Pablo

You da MAN!!!!:D :D :D Jeez, is there anything you don't know how to do???? You are my HERO!!!!!

Those recipes are wicked!!!! That picture looks divine!!! Gonna get my GF to read this..........sure she's gonna love it!!! Will try it hopefully this weekend!!!!!!!!

Regards
miles :D :D :D

Glad you liked... but spanih=food: is like an obsession, and if you never sit on a table with a few of us you will hear food talk for the rest of the evening... food and girls!!!

A hot smoked trout :p

The same basic smoker is handy to make other thinks when getting away for a few days... like a pizza :p :p :p

Originally posted by miles
Oi Pablo

You da MAN!!!!:D :D :D Jeez, is there anything you don't know how to do???? You are my HERO!!!!! :D :D :D

Im with Miles all the way -->

Your our hero :D

Comon people! behave... is just some food :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kingfish in here are big and plentiful, neighbors and friends like that... but sometimes is too much fish and he end up on jars... like this ones.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT