• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Catch of the day again!!!

Attachments

• 82 kg tuna small size pic.jpg
    82 kg tuna small size pic.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 819
OK, that's it, I can't sleep tonight........:head . What a coincidence, I was logging in and those beautiful tuna pictures pops out one by one.....:D

YEEEESSSSS!!!!
Finally you got out there!!

Of all divers I know....no one deserves these fish more that you do.

Amazing stuff...must come down soon......

Cheers,
Mikko

well done mate!!! That made me pretty jealous:D

Last edited:
Miles what can i say AWESOME

You are the man.

What slip tips were you using and how many bouys (body boards)

Great story and pics, Miles. Congratulations and thanks for the show.
Mark

Nice nice fish!!! And finally a pic of the man himself ;)

And why am I pee'd off?

Answer, one days fishing = more Kg's of fish than Ive caught in my whole life :(

WOW!!! The "Milestunator" strikes! May it soon be again! :)

Very impressive and a good read. Better start your Freediving-Spearfishing Travel Agency with Jeff soon, those pics alone will bring people in droves.

Adrian

Miles

Well done, Nice fish, The pic with the body board, is that line wrapped around it the bungie line?
The spears in the pics are heavy looking but no slip tips?
congratulations

Huan

Hiya

Thanx every-one!!!!!

This was definitely one of the greatest days of my spearing life!!! So many little thing that i've left out, like being pulled down and after equilizing a few times, i see my D3 reading 15m!!!!! The visit we had from a curious Mola Mola (sunfish), oh, and another little story:

My one dive buddy, named Maruis, fights his fish for about half and hour, then asks for a second gun. He is so tired, he asks me to load it and second shoot the fish. I get a decent holding shot, but it takes more than another half and hour to get the fish to the surface. We eventually gets the fish on top and now the fun begins!!!! I firstly make sure that neither of us are entangled in any of the lines, then i held onto the spear and gave my knife to Maruis to deliver the coup de grace. He then decides to wrap his legs around the fish and sort of bear hug it. At this point i make it VERY clear to him that its a very stupid move!!! He doesn't listen and ikijimi's the fish. All hell breaks loose as the fish starts thrashing and maruis ends up riding on the fish's back!!!! Fish must've swam at least 10m with him before throwing him off!!!! His legs were badly bruised and the spear had torn open his wetsuit. His wetsuit also had lacerations on the arms. He is now known as COWBOY!!!!

Anycase, plenty was learnt from this adventure. Things like you've never got enough spare spears!!!

For those interested:
The 82kg fish was shot with my 63" Wooden mid-handled gun with 4x16's and a 8mm spear with slip tip. Single boogie board with 25m bungie

My 74kg was shot with my 58" Wooden mid-handled gun with 3x16's and a 8mm spear with slip tip. Single boogie board with 25m bungie

My 55kg was shot with my 63" Wooden mid-handled gun with 4x16's and a 8mm spear with slip tip. Single boogie board with 25m bungie

The 72kg fish was shot with a 1.3m Carbon Rabitech with 8mm SS spear and 2x16's. Normal fixed barb. Single boogie board with 25m bungie

Damaged gear:
8mm SS Rabitech spear - bent
7mm SS Rabitech Spear - bent
8mm SS Rabitech spear - bent
8mm SS spear with shark fins with slip tip - bent

Those fish had no respect for any of our gear!!!!

At the end of it all, it was great day and we had LOADS of fun!!!! Can't wait for the next calm spell..................

Regards
miles

Cheapest flight I could find was still over $3k... but I'm still looking! :D

Johannesburg? Cape Town?

Finally found some flights ~$1500 ;) Sell a few guns & I'm there :D

Lakker Miles!

You'll make your fellow S.A. Speargun companies proud of you with the pictures of those YFT's. We rarely ever see or catch yellowfins of that size on the East Coast, those are some trophies! Our school fish are 50lbs or less normally. Central America,the Pacific side, and the Gulf hold bigger fish.

I bet your GPS numbers are about to be of great interest to fellow SA spearos...and they're all going to want to be your friend for consideration on the crew list next trip :D

So as Alison said stop being so humble and send us a picture with the commander and chief of your vessel holding a nice one?! ;)

By ther way, those 25M norprene bungies work well don't they. I found out the hard way what difference they make compared to standard float lines and I think its one of the most important ingredients the Spaniards may be leaving out in their giant Bluefin hunting endeavours. They may have their reasons dunno. Thanks for using some of our products too! Totsins!

Mark

hi

Holy fu#@ Miles those are some beast fish mate awsome work :cool:

cheers

Ps were there any pointers out there

Originally posted by Mark Laboccetta

By ther way, those 25M norprene bungies work well don't they. I found out the hard way what difference they make compared to standard float lines and I think its one of the most important ingredients the Spaniards may be leaving out in their giant Bluefin hunting endeavours. They may have their reasons dunno.

Mark

I agree entirely with you Mark. Fernando was using one baungee AFTER the 10 floats. I would have put my bungee before the first float to absorb the impact and controll the stress on the equipment.

What shooting line were you using Miles?

You think with an 11 litre RA float and your body board, we will have enough for fish over 200 kilos?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT