• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey Miles:
now....where are the photos taken IN the water?? Face to face with that smiley white..

LOL

RCC

No thanks.

You SA boys are nuts. If I ever get there, I think I'll stick to land hunting.

Brad

Re: No thanks.

Originally posted by w3ac
You SA boys are nuts. If I ever get there, I think I'll stick to land hunting.

Brad
I'm not so sure! OK Ive had my share of wine tonight but the likes of Andre Hartman dont get away with it by chance and the GW likes blubber, so if we dont look like seals we have half a chance. The RSA spearo's have my respect thats for sure and have more guts than me but they know what they're doing and long may they stay lucky
Take care guys :)

huh? How much wine did you have? I'll join you in that happy place a little later this evening.:friday

Brad

Hiya

Dassen Island, 12th June 2004. Cold water (13degrees), bad viz (1-2m at some places!!!), just recovered from the cold i've had for the past couple of days, got into a wet wetsuit (went diving on wednesday, came home sick, forgot to hang my wetsuit up to dry!!:eek: ). Had a great day though, some good fish and good company, what more could one ask for!!!!:D :D

Attachments

• catch with big hottie dassen island 12 june 2004.jpg
    catch with big hottie dassen island 12 june 2004.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 399
Great looking batch of fish dinners! Tell me, what kind of "structure" are those morsals hanging in? Kelp? Rock reefs? I'm really new at this and want to know where not to waste my time. :D

BlueCape, check this "hottie" out!! Weighed in at 3.05kg's!!! Personal best!!:D :D

Attachments

• miles 3.05kg hottie and tail dassen island 12 june 2004.jpg
    miles 3.05kg hottie and tail dassen island 12 june 2004.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 397
Hiya Oldsarge

The yellowtail is a pelagic specie that generally is found in open water, chasing baitfish. We normally get them by following the schools of birds which feed on the small fish that they're chasing. You simply approach the "working birds" and notice which way the school of fish is moving, plan a course to intercept them and BANG!!!:D They also like reefs or pinnacles that break, as well as rocky points or headlands. They sometimes also patrol the outer edges of the kelp bed. The smaller fish is reef fish, which is found inbetween the kelp and reefs. No specific water depth. Some were found in 1-2m water whilst others in 18m water. That 3.05kg fish i took in 15m water, but i've taken a 2.6kg in 3m water on a previous occation.

Regards
miles

hottie

BlueCape, check this "hottie" out!!

wow... i am looking, i am checking. the fish ain't bad either.:eek:

Hey Miles

Awesome !!! To head to Dassen in not so great conditions and return a boat of fish like that...respect dude !!
Yeah, that Hottie is huge, 3.5 kg must be close to the SA record for a Hottie ?

Spent the weekend working, no diving, but am planning on getting in at False Bay sometime during this week for a lunchtime dive.

Cheers

Jeff

Originally posted by Rolando
Good shooting Miles! Looks like them Rabitechs did some damage:D What type of reel do you have on that Apex? Is it the Rabitech reel? I'm thinking about putting one on my 120 in the rare event that I ever see a fish left in the area after that butt head Mike gets out of the water. And did I ever mention how good Sven is?

Gracias,

Gee, thanks Rollo! Hey did you lose your invite to go w/ Mike and Andy too?

Hiya

island_sands, ok, i had that one coming!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

BlueCape, drop me a pm on Fridays and i can tell you where the fish are. Or even better, simply join us!!!! Plenty of place on the boat!!:D :D

Regards
miles

Great Pics Bud!!! I'm Never gonna bitch to you about our grizzly's again!

hey ali

Ali
did you watch national geographic last week? (or was it A1) can't remember
there was a programme about Andre Hartmann and that other guy Duane... ?
amazing programme about spearfishing in bull shark infested waters.
also with great whites.. and the guys fended off a GWS from a cameraman on scuba.
was brilliant.

Nice fish Miles.
So it seems the winter tail are on their way around.I'm going overseas for 3 weeks so won't be able to get wet for a while.....damn.
Good luck getting a couple more of those cracker proportion "hotties".

Sounds Good Miles...will trade you space on the boat for free accomodation in George during 'cracker-weekend'.

Jeff. :friday

Graeme Duanne

The guy you are referring to regarding fending off the Great White attack on the scuba diver is Greame Duanne. That clip used to be posted on the web somewhere. And I will see if I can dig it out.

He is currently making another series of spearfishing videos ... so stay tuned. There used to be a short clip at his home page of handing off a Great White that raced up to his boat ...

http://www.digistream.co.za/stock.html

Bellows Rock, Cape Point, South Africa

Hiya

June 16th is a public holiday and its best celibrated by going spearing. Lovely weather, 15-20m viz. (exceptional for my neck of the woods!!!), 16degrees water, small swell, loads of birds and seals feasting on baitfish about 2km's behind Bellows Rock.

Raced up to the action, killed the motors and drifted into the melee of birds, seals, anchovies. My buddy and i simultaneously jumped overboard, one on each side of the boat. As soon as we hit the water a 3.5m shark comes zooming up from the depths!!!! 2 seconds later we're back in the boat!!!! Can you believe it!!!!! Perfect conditions and less than 5seconds in the water and a GW chases us away!!!! Now thats REALLY NOT FUN. Anyways, we stayed in the area for a while and jumped into some baitfish balls, but no yellowtail in attendance.

We then moved to Bellows Rock where some other spearo's were having better luck. They managed about 1 fish each. Not much happening either and still a bit nervous from our earlier encounter, we decide to rather go hunt some nice reef fish. So off we go into False Bay. Just inside Cape Point i pick up a school of fish on the echo. We jump in and see its a school of small yellowtail 2-3kg's. Didn't shoot any, thought we'll just hang around and see if their bigger brothers would show up. Suddenly the boat pulls up next to us with buggy screaming SHARK!!!! Oh, no, not AGAIN!!! 2seconds later, we're back in the boat. Turns out to be a HUGE sunfish (mola-mola). We jumped in and swm with it for a while. Stunning!!!!! (was a bit too slow with the camera:( )

Anycase, ended up hunting the reefs and pinnacles in False Bay and managed a couple of tasty reefies of 1-2kg's.

What a decidedly nice way to spend a public holiday. And the best part is that the weekend is only 2 days away!!!!

Regards
miles

Attachments

• bellows2 cape point 16 june 2004.jpg
    bellows2 cape point 16 june 2004.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 417
Buddy in the water at Hells Gates, just off batsata rock

Attachments

• hells gates2 cape point 16 june 2004.jpg
    hells gates2 cape point 16 june 2004.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 338
Wow

How the hell do you manage to jump into baitballs after being put back in the boat by a shark. I just dont get it. You guys are simply to EXTREME.

Hells gates looks like a great place.

Keep them stories coming.

Joe

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT