• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Photo 1-3: monkfish AKA anglerfish. A deepwater predator that uses a glowing appendage situated on the top of its head to attract prey!! Looks like a small worm, hence the name ANGLER-fish!!

Photo4: a trawler and a oilrig. First time i see an oil rig moving. Looks like it was heading for Cape Town port, possibly for repairs.....

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 183
Spent the day working on the boat. My cousin brought his son along and so did my fishing partner. We took the boys out for a short boat ride and they were very keen on catching some fish. Needless to say, we were quite happy to oblige!!:D:D

Photo1 and 2 : the boyz with their very first fish!!

Photo 3 : this fishing is HARD work!! The boyz chillin' after some heated action!!:D:D

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 173
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 190
With the previous days yellowtail action, we got very little work done on the boat. Since the yearly Argus Cycle tour is held on this day, the roads get closed by about 4-5am, so we left home at 3:30am, so that we could at least get to the boat before they close all the coastal roads for the race. Arriving at the marina, we get Gus and Earl, who have also woken up at this beastly hour, also to work on their boat.

This was naturally a resipe for disaster, as we first spend some time chatting, then HAD to have breakfast! Got down to our respective boats and started working. YAY!! Finally we can get some work done!! As per usual, our comm's are always on when working on our boats......always need to hear what others are catching!! My radio rings....'hello, hello?'.......'just caught 2 yellowtail'......'where?'......'just outside the harbour'......

Bugger this working on the boat!! At the same time Earl and Gus arrive smiling!! Lets go fishin'!!:D:D

Needless to say, not much work got done on either our boats!!rofl

Photo1: Gus latches onto a yellowtail on spinning gear.

Photo2: Gus still pulling the fish.

Photo3: coming to the gaff.

Photo4: Gus on ANOTHER fish!!

Photo5: ONE of the buggers that gave him a work-out!!

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 182
Photo1: Earl and Gus both hooked-up.

Photo2: IDB!! (In-Da-Boat!!)

Photo3: Gus still battling his one

Photo4: Gus on another one!!

Photo5: To the gaff!!

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 183
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 171
Photo1: Earl on a fish

Photo2: Earl once again!!

Photo3: small SIB!!

Photo4: at the gaff

Photo5: Gus on again!!

Attachments

• 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 167
Photo1: foul-hooked yellowtail!!

Photo2: Small boat with a sprayer system on for albacore!!roflrofl

Photo3: Catch

Attachments

• 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 181
Nice pics and blog Bro..

No pics from my end.. My boat's engine mixed fuel and water, out of all liquids..!! :(

OMG!!! just found this thread...

How can i nicely say i hate u rofl, man those are some nice fish :)

And your stories make for a great read, i agree u should write a book :)

I'm getting the Yellowtail fever here in Southern California. Only a couple months until they arrive.

Miles..

Any yellows hitting your deck yet..?

Funny you should ask......:D:D:D

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 179
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 177
yeah, friggin hilarious! :head

Hey, when you get over here and are ready, let me know and I'll send up a little rock gun that will work for the area.:martial

Can you shoot yellowtail in California, Poly?

Absolutely, Batty, they're the number 2 (after wsb) big game fish in the area.
That's for those who are boat divers, of course. It takes a strong spearo to swim out to yellowtail territory.

22 April 2008

I leave for Canada in 3 days!! Checked the weather and low and behold, it looks like a very nice fish-able day. Decided to invite a few friends along and make it a social trip. Two of my buddy's have been nagging for a while to go with, so what better way to spend a day on the water......

Five of us onboard and off we go!! My aim is to get all of them to pole some albacore.

Mission accomplished!!! Let the pic's do the talkin'

Final tally 7 YF in the 100-150lb class and 40 odd albacore in the 10-70lb class Not a great day considering the amount of fish caught, but an AWESOME day with the company aboard!!

Attachments

• Nizar3.jpg
    Nizar3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Nizar4.jpg
    Nizar4.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 183
Now for something completely different!!

I'm now in a little town called North Battleford, near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. My wife has banned me from buying any fishing tackle, as she had an exam coming up and didn't want any fishing temptations.

So, off to Winnipeg in Manitoba we go for her exams. Lo-and-behold, they have a CABELA's. Now, coming from South Africa, i've read and browsed their online shop extensively and was eager to go buy some tackle. I spent a total of just over an hour in the store of which 40 minutes was dedicated to the rather poorly stocked fishing section. To make matters worse, during that 40 minutes, not a single salesman had asked me if i need any assistance!! So, being terribly dis-appointed with their service, i left there with-out even making a purchase. The guys at Wholesale Sports in Saskatoon were alot friendlier and i'd rather take my business there!!

So, we get back to Saskatoon on Sunday and wholesale sports is closed!! ARGHHH!!! Wifes NOW severely peeved off at me!! So, she makes me go buy some tackle at Walmart. I ended up buying 2 mitchell rod and reel combo's, for $25 each! Spooled them with 15lb braid and bought a few sinkers and pickeral rigs, as i'd been advised. My whole plan was to buy el-cheapo stuff here and order decent stuff on the net.

Today, the weather was beautiful. 26 degree's with no wind. Unfortunately, the wife's on call, so we can't venture too far. Lets go make a few throws in the river, she suggests. Sure, why not.......

Bought our bait and fishing licences and off we go. First spot, its already occupied! We chat to the anglers and they offer alternative spots. On my way there, i find a quite little backwater, and spend the next 30 minutes there was absolutely no luck. mmm.....maybe the fish do prefer the current in the river.....

Next spot i also found by chance. Was driving along and stopped to see where we were. Spot looked GREAT!! Decided to check if there was a place with easier access and when i got back, 5 minutes later, somebody else just started fishing there!! ARGH!!

Oh well, not 40m further was another nice looking place. Set-up our gear here. Not 5 minutes had passed and i see a fish jump completely out of the water!! Our neighboors are hooked up and the fish is displaying amazing aeriel manouvers!! WOW!!! Few minutes later, i'm taking some picture's and the wife shouts!! She's ON!! Our neighboors land their fish, a sturgeon of about 15lb's (6-7kg's), whilst my wife's fish has now travelled almost 100m downriver!!

She battle's this fish grinning from ear to ear!! These sturgeon are INCREDABLY strong fish!! After about 15 minutes, she has the fish at the edge and we try and land it, no landing net or gaff's, as we were releasing them anyways!! 20lb's(9-10kg's) of sturgeon!! Not bad for her first Canadian fish!!

5 minutes later her phone rings. Its the hospital....she's gotta go work......

Oh well, an hours fishing and one 20lb fish to show for our efforts!! Not too shabby!! The best part, we must've seen 5 or 6 other sturgeon jumping out of the water. Can't wait to spend a full day there.......

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 176
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 173
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: Mr. X
Species list is growing!!

Since the sun sets at about 10pm, you have PLENTY of time to go fishing after work. We went back down to the river, but the current was VERY strong. Even 5oz sinkers wouldn't hold in the current. Still managed to get a few fish though.

Called 'SUCKERFISH'. The river seems to be infested with these buggers. Patheticly weak. Feels just like you're reeling in some weeds.

VERY relaxing fishing though!! Deck chairs, a fire and some food, all whilst you're waiting for a fish!! Thats the way you're supposed to have dinner!

Attachments

• river4.jpg
    river4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 140
  • river1.jpg
    river1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 144
  • river2.jpg
    river2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 146
  • river3.jpg
    river3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 142
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT