• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Clearing sinuses effectively

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jacques shuran

Jul 21, 2007
Hi everyone!

I wanted to start a thread where we can share experiences regarding an issues which many, including myself, have problem with.

I'm trying to find an effective way to clear my sinuses before diving. It's not that I have any infection or anything, but my handsfree equalisation only works when both sides of my sinuses are 100% clear.

I'm using this neti pot with some salted warm water, and it usually does the job, but sometimes it's useless no matter how much water i pour trough my nose.

I doubt I'll find an ultimate cleaning method, but I just hope you'd share your experiences, and I thank you all for that in advance!

jakov

I have found an ultimate cleaning method :D

It's something I buy in the vitamin section of the health food store.

(Foxfish, I know you hate it when I discuss alternative medicine...will I get into trouble for this? :/ )

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
I have found an ultimate cleaning method :D

It's something I buy in the vitamin section of the health food store.

(Foxfish, I know you hate it when I discuss alternative medicine...will I get into trouble for this? :/ )

Just PM me....I need all the help I can get this year.:)

For the last 6 months when I use the neti pot in my right nostril I can not get the saline to flow out my left nostril, all the rinse just travels out my mouth.
Help... can only equalize my mask with my lift nostril the last few trips.
Cheers, Don

Last edited:
i usually make jala neti the straight way, then add this "extra": put some water in the upper nostril, when it is coming out, stop it closing the lower nostril
turn your head backwards facing the ceiling then back to the opposite jala neti position you were in at the beginning
make this movemente 3-4 times, then let the water out

reclining your head backwards makes the water flow higher in you frontal sinuses, which may be out of reach during the classic jala neti

easier to do it rather than explaining...

Hi there! It is all so good if you do not have a serious problem (permanent sinusitis caused by allergies for eg), the solution can never reach your frontal air spaces...I had a surgery for this and even so, I now take some pils because the air conditionned air sucks....

i usually make jala neti the straight way, then add this "extra": put some water in the upper nostril, when it is coming out, stop it closing the lower nostril
turn your head backwards facing the ceiling then back to the opposite jala neti position you were in at the beginning
make this movemente 3-4 times, then let the water out

reclining your head backwards makes the water flow higher in you frontal sinuses, which may be out of reach during the classic jala neti

easier to do it rather than explaining...

Grazie Gabriele! :friday

I've tried this technique this morning and it worked!!!
I hope it'll work before going for a dive.
And as for sinutab pills and other meds, i really prefer the natural way of taking care and curing.

Has anyone tried putting fresh sea water in the neti pot, or would the cold water just irritate the sinuses and cause them to block even more????

jakov

Grazie Gabriele! :friday
pleased to help

Has anyone tried putting fresh sea water in the neti pot, or would the cold water just irritate the sinuses and cause them to block even more????
i guess this might be personal, i think it wouldn't work for me as my nose prefers warm water
also, the water you're using for jala neti should be hypotonic (i.e. less salty than the sea water), so sea water can irritate your sinuses and in general your tissues

i usually salt my neti water with less than 1g per pot (which is something like 3-4g per litre vs 30-35 of sea water) and it works great

While I am sure we have all snorted seawater at some stage I would be very careful in using it in a neti pot and maybe getting deeper into my sinuses as there could be any amount of bacteria in the seawater and if that gets into your tubes etc it aint gonna be pleasant. So use setrilised water or boiling water mixed with salt or soloution but let it cool down!!!!

While I am sure we have all snorted seawater at some stage I would be very careful in using it in a neti pot and maybe getting deeper into my sinuses as there could be any amount of bacteria in the seawater and if that gets into your tubes etc it aint gonna be pleasant. So use setrilised water or boiling water mixed with salt or soloution but let it cool down!!!!

Thanks for telling me. Before reading this I made sure to snort seawater every time I went diving, I thought it was healthy :/

Speaking of that, when I was a kid I discovered this cool trick that feels a bit like breathing underwater. I would turn upside down, then breathe tiny breaths so that the water would fill my nose/sinuses/throat, but not go all the way up to my lungs. Never got sinus problems from it though.

Here is a very good explication, sorry its in Spanish and very long, but you can understand perfectly I think from the images. The liquid used is the typical sterile saline solution (same salinity as the body) and comes in soft litre bottles or those capsules. You could also use neti salts and STERILE water. I would not do this with sea water as the penetration is very deep into the sinuses.

[FONT=&quot][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orpf63wsLyo&feature=channel]YouTube - LAVADO DE SENOS PARANASALES CON SUERO FISIOLOGICO CONTRA MUCOSIDAD POR EVA GOMEZ APNEA[/ame][/FONT]

If you can buy it in a health food store, you can talk about it here. We were referring to the illegal substances you were discussing when we asked you to keep the forum appropriate for all visitors.

Reactions: Don Paul
for me the food has a big impact, all the milky products are disturbing my EQ

and after cleaning the nostrils i dry them with some strong blows/purges out the nose

the quality of sea water at least in the med goes down....

and after cleaning the nostrils i dry them with some strong blows/purges out the nose
that's a must
if i don't dry out the nose, i feel like it is congested

what is the active ingredient of sinutab pills?

what is the active ingredient of sinutab pills?
oh! sgnips, you might google that little bit before asking... :head

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylephrine]Phenylephrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

If you can buy it in a health food store, you can talk about it here. We were referring to the illegal substances you were discussing when we asked you to keep the forum appropriate for all visitors.

Eh, I want to check with foxfish first though. I don't want to get into any more trouble than I'm already in.

In the other thread I made it clear that I wanted to know if vaporizing was bad for freediving because I was considering vaping legal herbs from the vitamin/grocery store, not illegal drugs. But still he said that my thread was not appropriate. So I don't know how he will react to this one. I don't want to stir up more trouble.

Eh, I want to check with foxfish first though. I don't want to get into any more trouble than I'm already in.

In the other thread I made it clear that I wanted to know if vaporizing was bad for freediving because I was considering vaping legal herbs from the vitamin/grocery store, not illegal drugs. But still he said that my thread was not appropriate. So I don't know how he will react to this one. I don't want to stir up more trouble.

It's probably a good idea to clarify, but you'll note that you only got into trouble before for talking about illegal substances (pot), not for talking about vaporizing legal substances.

Oh ok. So what you're saying is that talking about the possibility of me vaping legal stuff is ok, as long as I don't mention the word "pot" in the thread even if its just talking about some conversation or something...I get it now :)

The secret weapon that saved me is...mangosteen juice!!!

I devoted 10 years of my life to breathholding underwater in the pool and ocean. But I could never get past 20 feet. My severe allergies had me horribly stuffed up all the time.

My doctors put me on just about every medication on the planet. Nothing worked. (edit- including the saltwater neti pot)

I finally managed to get deeper with scuba diving (40 feet). But it took me 15 minutes to get there, and I was in dying pain the entire time.

My mom told me, "Give up diving. It's not for you."

10 years later, I discovered mangosteen juice at the health food store. I drank a glass of it the day of and a glass of it the day before a beach snorkeling trip...

IT WORKED!!!

It got rid of every last drop of snot in my body. When I equalized the air rushed in with a little squeak, and I could keep going down painlessly. No matter how far down I went I didn't have any problems.

I was psyched. I decided that as soon as I had money for it I would go out to deep water on a freedive/scuba boat to see just how deep I could go!

(Still haven't been able to go on that boat trip. But my underwater photographer recently promised me a freediving float as a present :) can't wait!)

The stuff is mangosteen juice, not to be confused with mango juice. (It's like the difference between grapes and grapefruit.) I buy the pure stuff from the vitamin section of the health food store, not the diluted version sold in the beverage section. It tastes horrible.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT