• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Coffee and Freediving - the reality

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How many Caffeine based drinks do you have per day?

• Never! - Freediving and Caffeine don't mix

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • 1 per day

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • 2 per day

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • As many as I can get

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters
Do you think it is possible to establish a ratio between the number of posts one have and the depth one is capable of? :D

Or atleast a ratio between the number posts by Eric and the depth we are capable of? (They do contribute alot!) :D

Top 10 Posters

Slightly off topic, but Eric's 1000'th post will still leave him in 7th place for "most posts". Here's the top 10 list:

icarus pacific
Murat
Stephan Whelan
ivan
Jon
Erik
andrsn
efattah
Iyadiver
rigdvr

quitting caffeine d

I quite caffeine about six weeks ago, because I believed it was interfering with my statics. I drank several large cups a day, and I suffered withdraw symptoms, and even nearly got into a fist fight at underwater hockey (imagine that). I thought that quitting caffeine would boost my statics significantly. However, my statics have actually gotten worse. That is not to say that the decrease in static time was caused by quitting caffeine (because all other factors- aerobic conditioning, training frequency, general stress levels- have also fallen off in the direction of worse statics). But, I can say with some degree of confidence that quitting caffeine did not significantly improve my statics.

Reactions: sammydive
SIX WEEKS ?

I'd give it some more time, Michael, before drawing any conclusions. A lot of times when we do something like break
a habit, we think we are doing it for a certain reason ( like
to improve our statics, in the case of quitting coffee) but in
reality other things are going on.

Also, quitting a substance habit often is followed by and associated with other changes in consumption and/or
behavior which may temporarily or permanently alter the
outcome. A classic example is people who quit smoking to
improve their fitness, but then triple their caloric intake, halve
their caloric burn and end up fatter and wheezier than before.

I know that in my case, when I go off coffee, my chocolate consumption tends to creep up to rather disgusting levels if
I don't watch it. Ample testimony to this is available from anybody who is personally acquainted to me, but don't ask unless you have a strong stomach !

Maybe you've made some other changes besides quitting coffee ? Sleep patterns ? Food ? Water intake ? Or, is other stuff going on that might have to do both with deciding to quit coffee and not improving in static ?

The human mind is a sly thing. I can even imagine myself ( the evil inner Paul, the little devil on my left shoulder) making sure my static times don't improve when I quit coffee, all the while saying "See ! That doesn't work. Mmmmmmm......coffee ! MIght as well have one, heh-heh, just one won't hurt...heh-heh........"

Best,

Paul

Reactions: DeepThought
>the little devil on my left shoulder
>Might as well have one, heh-heh, just one won't hurt
Paul Kotik
The doctor says it's OK to talk to myself, as long as I don't answer. That's when he gets worried. Is it time for a vacation yet?
Aloha
Bill

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Originally posted by DeepThought

Or atleast a ratio between the number posts by Eric and the depth we are capable of? (They do contribute alot!) :D

rofl rofl Beautiful!

Talking about compensatory changes (or learnt responses), a friend of mine was once the owner of a British Pub. One day he started to give a friend of his bloody marys without vodka and without letting him know. The tabasco sauce and tomato juice seemed to disguise the fact there was no alcohol and after 7 or 8 of these the guy was totally drunk!

Regularity in anything will set up compensatory changes. Sometimes it's good e.g., for the diving eflex and other times it can cause us to get into a rut we may not even be aware of.

Adrian

I try to keep away from caffeine... Don't drink coffee and only drink at most 1 cup of green tea (around 1/3 caffeine content of coffee) each day. The tannins in green tea inhibit caffeine absorbtion as well...

But I do like teas, so I drink quite a bit of this stuff called "rooibos" (pronounced "ROY-BOSS", means "red bush"). Tastes good, especially with a little manuka honey, and has zero caffeine, zero tannins and more/better antioxidants than green tea.

Hi Bill,

I hope your recovery is going well. Not many weeks now until I'm in coffee heaven (Kona) ...why am I trying to quit it now?

Andy

Not to worry Andy, they have a great decaf process that leaves the flavor in. Look forward to diving with you;
Aloha
Bill

THE BILL COMES DUE

Bill, the vacation is long overdue. Thing is, everybody tells me it seems to them that my regular life is like their vacations, so I'm not certain what I should do to take a vacation.

I'm thinking of getting a job for a few weeks, see if that's the answer. A change of venue, as it were. Maybe as a court reporter, or perhaps as a TAS baggage inspector. Then I can drink coffee all day long with my co-workers.

Another possibility is the Broward County Sheriff's Department, which is always advertising for recruits. Think I'd look cool in a uniform with shades and a gunbelt. I already know most of the lines:

"You in a heap a trouble now, boy."

Aloha,

Paul

Originally posted by Bill
....The doctor says it's OK to talk to myself, as long as I don't answer. That's when he gets worried. Is it time for a vacation yet?
Aloha
Bill
rofl Priceless.
That's the aloha attitude ;)
Life=One long Vacation!rofl

Reactions: Bill
Cynthia
Might have to ask for a little Aloha from you. Looks like my youngest dive buddy will be a freshman at UCSD in Sept. We haven't been diving much since last summer, she's going to school in Paris.
Aloha
Bill

I have had some of my best dry statics 45 minutes after green tea. Could be because green tea is more alkaline, and coffee and black tea is acidic. Gave up coffee 2 or 3 years ago for freediving. This year I may try bringing a thermos of green tea diving. Never have drank tea or coffee on the day of a dive. Willing to try anything once.

Jim

Originally posted by Bill
Cynthia
Might have to ask for a little Aloha from you. Looks like my youngest dive buddy will be a freshman at UCSD in Sept. We haven't been diving much since last summer, she's going to school in Paris.
Aloha
Bill

She is most welcome to an Aloha greeting! Absolutely!
I'll PM you with particulars :)
A Bientot! :cool:

If I'm diving in the afternoon, I'll have my usual coffee in the morning (Starbucks Venti Traditional) with seemingly little or no ill effects later. If I'm diving in the morning I'll forgo the coffee, but dive buddies will have to suffer through my crankiness due to withdrawls. I've inadvertantly kicked coffee a couple of times: when I get sick and bedridden I can't and won't drink the stuff. It's actually about a 4 or 5 day withdrawl process, complete with bad headaches, grumpiness, etc. So combine that with whatever bad cold or flu I'm going through and you have a grown man lying on a sofa who is a total wreck of a human being. :blackeye
Then when I'm better, I start drinking it again!:duh

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
How much caffeine is there in Red Bull? Is it much more than coffee, or about the same?

Lucia

Salt is essential for freediving. I went without salt for 8 months and the effect on diving was disastrous. Chronic dehydration, low blood pressure -- it led to my first (and worst) blackout ever.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Reactions: Hamfee
SALT ? SALT ????

Why would anybody give up salt for freediving ? Crack, sure, but salt ?

I am mystified !

Paul Kotik

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT