• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cold water wetsuit???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearman21

Sep 17, 2007
Hi all noobie here to this forum and to spearfishing....My question if anyone can help im almost about to purchase a 2 piece wetsuit from Diveskin.com for about 250.00...I also saw that Picasso's cheapest suit a 5mm mimetic is 246.00 if anyone can help me decide on which one to choose I would greatly appreciate it....Diveskin ships from Greece and picasso ships from the U.S...

Put all that aside for now, you have two things to look for for a cold water suit. It should be at least 5mil thick and it should be custom made to your measurements. This just makes the suit seal better and also makes it much more comfy. Id say regardless of the prices go for the one that offers tailoring to the suit :)

Thanks Deepthinker for the reply....Well the diveskin suits are custom made to fit and are 5mm...But I heard nothing but great things about the picasso wetsuits too....also in 5mm....but not custom fit off the rack....

Ive also not heard too many bad things about the diveskin suits. If I were you Id go for the custom :)Better fit = better heat retention.
Unless you have a very standard build then go with the picasso but Id try one on before I buy it...

Yep, definitely custom, whatever You do. (Unless You're the guy they measured for their rack-models :t )
Look a elios as well and use the search function. There is loads and loads of information that is just waiting for You to pick it up.

Thanks for the help guys im going with the diveskin suit.....Now my only issue is that i have to take about 16 measurements......

LOL Good luck my advice is get someone to help you and be sure to measure each one at least twice to get the exact measurement, do them all and then double check and check again if you need to. Make sure to get the upper body, including the head and neck measurements correct, on shoulders measure from end to end, there where your t-shirts would sit. These are according to me the most important measurements for comfort :)
Edit, your dominant side of your body will be slightly shorter than your non dominant side

lol....oh yes im in a for a long one tonite when i get home....anyone have a chart to show where the exact measurements need to made on your body for a custom fit suit????

lol....oh yes im in a for a long one tonite when i get home....anyone have a chart to show where the exact measurements need to made on your body for a custom fit suit????
Elios has a video for each of the measurements they require on their site. Those are very helpful

The supplier should send you a graphic chart with the measurements required on it. Otherwise look around on the other suppliers sites for a printable version.
Good luck

Ok cool sounds good guys I will check the elios site and also ask the provider to see if he has a chart for download.....Muchas gracias......

I too have a wetsuit question and figured I may as well slide it in here. I work in the surf industry and get deals from O'Neill Wetsuits. I can get a 6/5/4 wetsuit from them for very, cheap. What are the negatives about using a suit that is not made strictly for diving? This suit is top of the line for surfing, very flexible and warm. I'm probaly going to buy it regardless for an upcoming trip to Norway, but would just like to know if I should start saving for a suit made for hunting. Thanks in advance

A open cell freediving suit clings to the skin so theres not su much water going through the suit. A surfsuit works a bit differently as you know and after a hour or two of being in the water you will start feeling cold...

The supplier should send you a graphic chart with the measurements required on it. Otherwise look around on the other suppliers sites for a printable version.
Good luck

Different manufacturers often use slightly different mesasurements, you need the right chart. If a supplier cant provide a chart I would have serious doubts about their ability to make a custom suit!
cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

What are the negatives about using a suit that is not made strictly for diving? ...

It also depends on the type of diving You're abou to do. A freediving wetsuit needs to be different from a SCUBA suit. For example with SCUBA You will spend longer time stretches at depth, but don't need as much flexibility, so tougher neoprene will keep You warmer (less compression under pressure) and not restrict You as much as it would when freediving.

Apart from the open cell inner that already has been mentioned, the biggest problem is likely that the suit has a non-waterproof zipper which will allow water in. Then there's probably no hood attached which sucks big time. Every time I'm in the water with someone with a separate hood, they have trouble and fidgeting and water coming in. Not nice.

HTH

Well the order was place and the Diveskin service was top knotch...The exact chart with the measurements was provided....The suit is a 2 piece with attached hood and the zipper is waterproof....So all in all can't wait for my custom suit to be sent....lol..Thanks for the help guys....

Well the order was place and the Diveskin service was top knotch...The exact chart with the measurements was provided....The suit is a 2 piece with attached hood and the zipper is waterproof....So all in all can't wait for my custom suit to be sent....lol..Thanks for the help guys....
Where does diveskin use a zipper in a two piece? got any links on more info?

From what he made clear to me is the jacket has a waterproof zipper on it....On the website he does not have any of the wetsuits that show this...now im starting to wonder if the zipper is really waterproof....Don't want to spend any more money on suits since my first suit was a telos 3mm and didnt keep me warm at all...and I paid 150 bucks for it........

You don't want nor need a zipper in a freediving wetsuit. Better make that clear to the people who make Your suit.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT