• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cold water wetsuit???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ok here we go the suit is a 2 piece long john farmer top with no zipper and open cell interior and nylon exterior....in 5mm...

Thanks deep I cant wait for it to arrive I have almost all my gear ready just need some good fins that wont hurt the bank...lol...:)

Its funny you mentioned that I was just looking at the fins that he is selling and the price isnt bad at all but the shipping charge is horrible and I dont know if there would fit me im a size 10.....lol....

Yea shipping is high, I did read on another thread the other day that Picasso Black teams is now $120 or 130 new. Thats not a bad price either.

Yes I went on there website and saw the black teams 120.00 too but I think a few people said that there good for deep dives and not for top swimming because of the stiffness of the blades....

That's a good choice. My 5 mil open in/nylon out suit is still going strong after 3 years. I dove all winter in it for a couple of seasons - down to 38F (I now have a 6 mil smoothskin out suit for that).
Good sturdy suit - good investment.

That's a good choice. My 5 mil open in/nylon out suit is still going strong after 3 years. I dove all winter in it for a couple of seasons - down to 38F (I now have a 6 mil smoothskin out suit for that).
Good sturdy suit - good investment.

Thanks I cant wait for it to arrive from Greece....What type of lube do you guys use to get in and out of your suits???

REALLY IMPORTANT!! not so much the type as using some. What I do is dilute some good organic hair conditioner by about 1-4 or 1-5 (hc to water) Then i get the suit wet in the shower - spray in the HC and rub the suit against itself to make sure it is distributed inside (this way you can use less - the suit will slide nicely against itself when properly lubed). Bottoms mostly need it in the lower legs - assuming the rest of the inside is wet. Key areas in the top are the sides under the arms - the arms and neck. I damaged my suit early on buy not using enough lube - though it obviously wasn't serious since I'm still using it. I've thought about trying Aloe Vera gel - which is not too expensive either.
In winter I either prep the suit top and put it in a bag - or put it on before i drive to the site - usually put the bottoms on at home..

Is it really neccesary to put the suit in the shower before using? also can u coat the insides of the suit with ur hands as opposed to using a spray bottle....if so is the same process used to take the suit off??? Thanks John

Not at all - just a matter of what's handy really. The point is to make sure you don't stress the suit - some people just use water - but I think this probably works best with a 3 mil. I've lubed the suit up by hand with it turned inside out before.

Personally I fill a 1ltr plastic bottle with warm water add some anti bacterial shower gel & poor half down the long johns & half in the jacket.

Reactions: spaghetti
One more tip: In winter I pour the "cocktail" in a thermos bottle to keep it warm and bring it to the dive site, then lube and wear the suit just before diving. In summer I just wash the suit in the sea (the warm Mediterranean).
Whatever you use for the mix (shampoo, soap, conditioner) just use a little proportion of it: too much soap will make your suit issue foam and soapy bubbles all along the dive.
Cold water...BRRRR! Those awful days are back again for me too. unfortunately

Actually I had sand inside my suit a few weeks ago, I had donned my suit at home & was driving the short distance to the sea. I could feel this picking down my back & to be honest though it was a skin rash or something like that. Anyhow I started thinking skin cancer & other irrational thoughts & decided to check out my fate in the car mirror. Off came the suit & I spotted the tiny grains of sand.

I'm always surprised at how much lube people use. I have a 50ml (yes, the 20th part of a litre) bottle of water with a squirt of conditioner that will last me for about 3 uses.. I just need a little in the arms and the lower part of the legs. Maybe it's the black coating on the open cell that does it..

What works surprisingly well in cold weather without cooling You down is talcum/baby powder. Keeps You dry all the way until You hit the water - and longer if You have a well fitting suit. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT