• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Confused about Sebak Monofins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I finally got out in the lake today with my new mono.:D It was a shallow lake, only 10 meters deep, but I had a blast!

I wore my new monofin for over 2 1/2 hours straight without even a twinge of discomfort! :cool: That's 6 times longer than I ever managed to wear my Waterway.

I settled into a routine where I would wear a huge weight belt and just bend at the waist to drop to the bottom. I could lay in the sand and play with the bass until I needed to breath. Then, I would kick once, twice at the most, and be back on the surface.:)
It was very relaxing and I can hardly wait to try it out in some deeper water with a "normal" weight belt on.

My hat's off to Juri and the rest at Specialfins.:thankyou

Ted and I were just comparing the workmanship on my new mono and his new bi-fins. We were both pretty impressed with the job they did, especially compared to all of the other fins that we have owned. We even dragged some of them out to look at the difference in workmanship. Juri's crew really pays attention to detail.

I did already manage to put a scratch into the fin and am very glad that I didn't decide to go with the carbon fiber model. I knew that this would happeen when I bought the fin, because of the diving that I noramlly do. I think that I might even give this thing a shot the next time I go spearfishing.;)

jon

Last edited:
Today I have order one "Coloured" Blue Monofin form Specialfins
Only the stiffness/bending line will be like the carbonblade.
Thanks Peter for the help!!
Jyri fron Specialfins is a great person. He have help me with all my grazy questions :)

Now I am waiting for my first Monofin!!

Jon,

I got a pair of the blue Sebak bi-fins and trashed them hard at this year’s spearfishing Nationals in RI. 2 strait weeks of diving in shallow, rocky water and they don't look so pretty anymore. But it's all just aesthetic. I'm not sure it's possible to break these blades unless you really try.

BTW, what kind of fish do you shoot up your way? Salmon, lake trout, walleye? Do you hunt in the Great Lakes? Please tell. Pics would be cool too. PM me if you want.

Scott T.

I wish we could spear trout and Walleye!

We can spear rough fish like carp and buffolo. THese are good for smoking only. There is someone in our local underwater hockey club who has a smoker and we spear them for her to smoke.

Last edited:
Sometimes they can get pretty big. Ted speared a 42 pound one a couple weeks ago- not the one in the picture.

Jon

Last edited:
The best tasting fish, that we can legally spear, are the panfish- crappie, bluegill, and perch. These are my favorite to spear since I can cook them up right away and don't have to wait until their done being smoked.

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: donmoore
Jon,

Very cool!!!! Thanks for the reply and the pics are great. What's that white stuff I see on the ground though? Man, you've gotta come to Florida and dive with me. Winter water temp is 72 degrees. Right now it's 84 and believe it or not, I'm still wearing a 3 mm jacket (nylon/nylon). Here's a catch from 2 weekends ago in the FL Keys (Islamorada).

Scott T.

Attachments

• isla_catch_shrunk.jpg
    isla_catch_shrunk.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 210
Reactions: donmoore
Jon,
That gun looks like pistol. What is it and how far can it shoot? My wife would love those fish too. See likes ones small enough she can cook them whole. She complains if we only bring home steak size fish.

Scott, nice fish too. What kind of snapper is that? It looks like a red, but the color is very light.
don

Jon,
Since this thread is getting of the subject, you mentioned underwater hockey. What do you know about underwater rugby? There is a guy here trying to start a league. I would love to play hockey, but rugby just doesn’t sound right. A big part of diving is helping each other. I just can’t fathom tackling them or having someone do it to me.
don

Don,

That's a big mutton snapper (10.2 lbs gutted). The other one's a yellowtail snapper (3.5 gutted). The grouper was 27 lbs. We don't have reds here. They're either in the Gulf or up north of here starting around the Canaveral area.

I don't know too much about UW Rugby but I play UW hockey and it's awesome!!!!!! I started playing because I heard it was good training for freediving. Maybe that's why I'm diving so well lately????

Scott T.

I don't know anything about underwater rugby. This is my fourth season playing underwater hockey and I really love it. Some nights are rougher than others, but the work out can't be beat.

That little blue gun was something I bougnt to try and match the vis that we can have around here. It didn't work out to well.:(

I have since bought a Rob Allen, the shortest they make, and still find it too long for summer-time vis in the inland lakes. I can hardly wait to try it out in another month or so when things really start to clear up.:p

I also just picked up one of Ted's extra wooden guns. I think that this one will work the best of all since it still gives me the range and shaft length I want, but in a shorter, mid-handle, package that will match our summer vis.

Here's a pic of them.

Jon

Last edited:
UW-Rugby

Originally posted by donmoore
... What do you know about underwater rugby? ... I just can’t fathom tackling them or having someone do it to me.

Don,
I have been playing UW-rugby for a little over six months now, and I think it is great fun! Don't worry about tackling, because you just can't get enough speed in water to do proper tackles like in regular rugby! Instead the game is a lot about tactics and technique (which consume much less oxygen than strength! :) ).

I have never played UW-hockey, so I can't really compare, but a special thing about rugby is that the game is very three-dimensional, which is something I assume you lose in hockey by playing along the bottom?

You can PM me if you have any questions, but if you have the opportunity, I suggest you give it a try and see what you think!

// Johnny

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT