• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Contractions... : what about the throat?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jo_duiker

Jan 16, 2014
I did a search, but couldn't find it directly: it's about contractions in the throat...
(If someone knows about a thread that exists already, do feel free to redirect me.)

When I'm going through contractions (during static), I frequently experience them as waves going from my diaphragm all the way up to my throat. (Emphasis on "all the way up to my throat" here!)

The part of the contractions in my throat is quite tense and most of the (overall) discomfort of my contractions are due to the throat part.
Sometimes I am able to keep my throat relaxed, and somehow, I can redirect contractions to affect only my stomach/diaphragm. It feels a lot less uncomfortable (at least "throatwise"), but on occasions like this, contractions come much more frequent in a fast way. Instead of coming every 4-5 seconds, they come every 1-2 seconds... (quite soon into the contraction phase!).

Has anyone the same experience? And if so, how do you deal with that?

I realize my question may be (or simply is) rather impossible to answer in a straightforward way. Every one's different and has different experiences and copes with things differently. I'll just have to find my own "spot".

Moderaters: feel free to delete this thread - there are tons of threads about contractions already. :)

I realize my question may be (or simply is) rather impossible to answer in a straightforward way. Every one's different and has different experiences and copes with things differently. I'll just have to find my own "spot".

Moderaters: feel free to delete this thread - there are tons of threads about contractions already. :)
I have had them. I get them not very deep either and I get them so bad that it causes my throat to bleed sometimes. I also am looking for any information on this because every time it happens I’m out of the water for a week but it happens usually at around 60 feet when I’m spearfishing not sure if it’s about the rate of decent

Bigwhity you probably are getting minor trachea squeeze if u are bleeding with big contractions at that depth means to me you are not flexible enough.. I was the same way and have done a lot of empty lung stretchs and breatholds empty and it helps a lot so when you go to depth your contractions only start from co2 so they are much easier and gentle on you and the tissue is more flexible. Also you may not be comfortable at that depth so you may need to stick to 10m for a while.

If you want to keep the contractions in the chest and not the throat your epiglottis needs to be closed!! Do empty lung breath holds with the mouth open and tounge out to make sure that's where u are holding your breath from on you tube type in this fuc**** glottis for a good film how to!!!

Reactions: kevind
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT