• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

cool monofin video

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Murat: 50 m apnea in 15s ????????

I know the best french monofinswimmer (worldclass athlete) and he's doing 16s with arms in front.....

50m-15s with arms by his side:naughty

Suit??

Matthieu: Where can I find a suit like this?

Is it neoprene or is it sharkskin or fastskin or something?

I have a speedo fastskin (sharkskin) and it is very uncomfortable, and it is hard to stretch the arms. I'd sell it if you want it!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

topstar

Have a look at topstar

1.click left : nage
2.click on the picture above nage

down on the page you find " veste pour MONO" = special design for monofinning arms in front

This is in french (english not available yet)
Very good stuff (some guys I know told me so)

bruno

Last edited:
The suit I was after was the one Matthieu mentioned with the arms 11o'clock and 13o'clock.

I think it can be very good for dynamic.

Arms out front..

I descend with one hand on the nose and one out in front. I do dynamic with both arms outfront. I ascend with both arms out front.

With both arms out front i can :

1) reduce unecessary upper body undulation by creating resistance in the opposite direction with my hands
2) get a better power transfer more efficient by having the counterbalancing boom effect in front ( ie i lean on the water with my hands when kicking. ) giving a 'squirting forward' effect rather than wasting energy on up and down deviation ( undulation)
3) steer

This works for me. I would descend both hands out front too if i could equalise hands free. One arm on the nose creates mega drag :(

I always flush my suit with water while in the water, ballooning it out away from my skin. I extend my arms into position while the water drains out. This way the suit freezes onto me in that pose and no effort is required to kep arms out and up thereafter :)

Skin.

Skin- it must be nice to be in water warm enough to want it inside your suit:) I tried some dynamics last night in the pool with hands in front as well as at my side. With hands in front I definitely felt faster but not as comfortable as hands at the side. Did any body see that video on Sportalsub of the Japanese guy. He is really fluid. More like an eel than a dolphin- I forget the scientific name for the two. His whole body is one continuos flow with very little muscular tension.
Jim

That was a great video clip. I have been trying to imitate him for a couple of weeks. I am way too stiff to equal his grace. He really does move more like an eel the way he can felx and whip his body around like that.

I have also been trying to do the worm like Laminar mentioned.

And, I have tried to do it with my knees locked like was mentioned in the story about the Solomon's clinic.

I have tried dynamics with arms overhead AND by my sides- overhead seems faster, but by my sides feels more relaxed.

I have given up on trying to keep the rigid body postion shown in Terry Mass's freediving video by Peppo(?). He gets his arms so far out there that it contorts his shoulder blades in father than I can imagine is healthy.

It would be really cool to be able to post some video clips on here of my own form and let everyone have a go at what needs to be improved- not quite ready to desgin my own website for that purpose as I have enough people in my life already whose hobby it is to tell me how I can improve.;)

Jon

I have to go with E Fattah on the hands at the sides on ascent. I have done many dive in both positions and having the arms down at the sides is very relaxing and for me conserves energy.

Now in the pool the arms at the side is very comfy, but going into and out of the turns creates a lot of drag moving my arms around. I guess it doesn't matter for me in dynamics because I suck at them so bad.

DSV

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT