• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall 2007!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Huw

Spearfishing enthusiast!
Jul 3, 2005
Hello all!

Guernsey, south Devon and Dorset now all have their 2007 threads, and I would hate for us to have no where to turn to! I don’t have much to write in the way of reports due to terrible weather and vis, although I did come across some camo duct tape on eBay last night and wondered if anyone had ever thought of using some to cover their spearguns in??

I wish everybody a successful and very fishy new year! :D

Huw.

Reactions: greendiver
Good one Huw :)
& yes

Attachments

• P1020286(1).JPG
    P1020286(1).JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 277
Reactions: greendiver and Pav
Jeez,i was living in the past........!!

Anyway,winds look favourable for tomorrow,hideously rainy though.
My only opportunity is first thing so the tide'll be dropping out with low at around 1ish.
Last time i went i didn't expect to see a thing and eneded up really surprised so i'm adopting the same approach this time.....expect nothing!

Expect nothing,see nothing!....
It was nice to get in but there wasn't a great deal to be seen,a few wrasse and pollock and what viz there was suffered due to the poor light/lashing rain,still,always nice to get in there and i picked up a bit of juicy info from a local dive guide so it's not all bad!

Winds looking good for today...NW and should be getting sunnier as the day goes on.I think i'm going to have another look round the falmouth area and just hope these SW'lys havn't caused too much disturbance.
No doubt i'll let you know how it went later.

There was too much movement...viz was 3ft max.
Had a good swim out to see if it cleared but sadly not.
I think thats probably me for a couple of months now,give me a chance to finally get my suit repaired.

Huw,

How are things far west? I've a week paternity leave so am going to stop at my parents nr. penzance for a couple of days next week. With the current swell I'll most likely be surfing but if there is a chance of fish may pack the hunting kit.

Whats the likely viz and any chance of Bass / Mullet this time of year? thanks! :)

Badlander... Its good to know that at least you got out there. I havent been in for well over a month now. :(

Pav, at the moment the viz around Fowey, Par sands, The gribben head, Looe, Mevagissy etc are all the same... TERRIBLE. The winds have really wipped up the bottom and seem to have ripped apart the weed, so surface debris is significant. From looking at the surface, the water is no longer bluey green but very prominantly BROWN! I predict about 1ft vis if you are lucky. It seems that the North Coast where badlander is is slightly better; although if you are stuck for space in the car, the boards may be a safer bet. I havent ventured further down the coast, so the Lizard and Lands end could be different... however with the weather of the last few weeks i would say it is unlikely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
I hope you and the new addition are doing well :D

Huw.

The spot i checked was Maenporth near Falmouth on the south,usually a good bet but it was real bad.The North coast is so stormy it'll take a long period of calm to sort it out with no sign of that happening for a while.
Surf-wise there's almost too much swell but with the winds around the SW direction there'll be some clean waves to be found at the usual spots.

Hey guys.
Just been out to Rame Head on the south coast looking towards Looe. Lots of swell coming in, and the water is still brown(ish).

Reactions: Pav
Dived Maenporth again today,weather was too good not too,conditions looked lovely so i had to give it a go.Sadly though i saw only Wrasse and then not many.Viz was 3-4 meters at best.
Gave it a good going over but it just confirmed my suspicions that it's time to give it up for a bit.
Had the float with me and the number of times the float line tangled with the 'clips' on my omer ice fins was beyond a joke,at some times my legs were totally tied which was far from ideal,i know i'm only using the crappy line that comes with the omer floats but still,pain in the arse.A thicker diameter float line will solve the problem i reckon,does anyone know of any good alternatives to use????
Anyway,got a few months to get it sorted.

Reactions: Pav
Wine siphoning tube with the ends melted together and well and truly tapped so as to keep water tight.

Plastic coated washing line!
Beware though, not all plastic coated washing lines float. I bought two that don't and one that does. (They do make decent washing lines though!;) Can use them to tie your kayak down too.).

[RA do cheap polyprop. float-lines that tangle a bit & fancy expensive ones that probably don't. The sealed hollow tube idea sounds like a good one though.]

Last edited:
Speaking of kayaks....I've been thinking of getting one for the summer.
The main attractions are the low running cost and the fact i could wheel it down the road and plop it in the sea and be off.
Anyway,having had a look about i rather like the look of the Bic Tobago,could anyone who uses a kayak to spear tell me if they consider this to be a suitable kayak for the job?

Last edited:
oh,and thanks for the suggestions!...i had considered washing line,i think you can get the plastic coated wire type and just a plastic type,the latter sounding probably more suitable...i'll give it a go

Mr x is the man with all the info on kayaks - cant find the link to his thread but I am sure he will. :)

Several of the Devon Spearos kayak too - they helped me quite a bit. Got some great info. from a guy in Hawaii too - they really do it well there.

Sounds like you already found what you were looking for but here are the links for anyone else interested:
Spearing: Boat, RIB, Dory, Dinghy, Dive Kayak?
Rigging a sit-on kayak for spearfishing?

Portinfer had a earlier thread when he was looking for a sea kayak - which is worth reading.
[The Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT is often recommended for Kayak diving. Cobras look good but cost more. Saw a 2 man Bic, looked good -- some interesting features too, like built in wheel - handy. (I have a 2 seater - Ocean Kayak Malibu 2)].

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT