• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall 2007!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I use a scrambler XL - slightly larger than the Scrambler base version which I find just right for both rod and spearfishing from. I chose this one because of its stability, the size (big enough for me and one of my kids without being a tandem) and its weight - it is quite heavy but I can carry it on my shoulder from the car to the water. It comes with load of rigging points and webbing for stowing gear. I am pleased with it.

:) :) ah the joys of paternity leave rofl

the storm conditions have written of any chance of spearing but I've been having some great surfs between looking after Maya :) .

On the Yak topic, with the addition to the family I'm now re thinking my kayak use. I'd like to try one of the smaller yaks (frenzy type size), as something that I can hunt the local reefs with. May not get me down the coast as far or as quick as I'm used to , but would fit in the back of the van, so could snag a couple of hours on the way home from work.

Reactions: Mr. X
Right... this kayak thing has really just hit me. I am now VERY interested!! I do like the look of the Bic yaks, and i can vouch for the build quality of their products. I bought one of their 'pop-out' surf boards a few years back whnei first learned to surf, and it doesnt suit me anymore ( i actually sold it last night) but the quality of it was really something.

I wount be transporting it by car i shouldnt think, and so i would be tempted to go for a larger yak... maybe a two man (extra storage space :D)

Anyone got any info on using a largerer yak over a small one?

Huw.

The Malibu 2 XL and the Bic Tobago are the two front runners in my search so far,both have excellent reports although they say they're pretty hard work when you're solo,but in my case it has to be a tandem for the Mrs,Kid,Dog,Mates etc etc..i'd like to hear from someone that often paddles their tandem by themselves.....is it a struggle?...tiresome?......hard to manouver?...They're a lot of dosh so i'm trying to be as sure as i can before i crowbar it out of my bank account!...

...Anyone got any info on using a largerer yak over a small one?
Portinfer's thread, mentioned above, might be worth looking at. He was looking at longer 'yaks. Longer & thinner are faster & go in a straightline better - better for longer distance. Broader yaks are more stable (seen a pic of a guy standing up on one like mine) -- which might be important if you plan to use it as a dive platform. Shorter yaks are prob. easier to handle in the surf & transport. There is a popular American dive'yak website, the owner is a big proponent of the Scrambler XL but I think he said ideally it could be a few inches longer a inch narrower (or something like that).

Re. carrying others, I managed to get myself (large) & 3 kids on the Malibu 2 at one point, no room for a 4th though.

It's worth thinking about how & where you will carry your gear (wetsuit top, speargun/rod, handline, fins, mask & snorkel, weightbelt, anchor & rope/line).

[Badlander, Cobra Tandem is worth considering too...I think they might offer an XL version. The UK importer used to be in Salisbury but I think they sold to a company in S. Wales recently].

Last edited:
Reactions: Pav
Looks like a substantial break in the swell coming up with the winds heading around more to the N-NE and a high sitting just off us keeping those relentless low pressures at bay.....been out looking at dive torches so i hope it all settles down and offers up some good viz for a change.

I fish off the south coast of Cornwall in an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13, its pretty big and can be a handful loading it onto car, but its worth the effort.

I either use it to reach beaches that are out of swimming range and haul it onto shore, or pack an anchor and use it as dive platform.

You need to carabineers on all your spearing kit so that when it flips over or gets swamped you dont loose everything.

It has got a dry(ish) hatch on it that will take a tent, sleeping bag & stella so i have been on spearing/camping missions as well.

I bought it new so it was expensive, but even second hand they are still pricey.

Get one, thats my advice!

Wheres the surfers ear threads :confused: Is it all doom and gloom. I'm 32 and have narrowing of the ear canals.

I have started to wear ear plugs more frequently when surfing... so now that will be MORE frequent!

Am I at risk during the summer from this progressing? ear plugs all year around?

and finally how will it progress spear fishing. I imagine it is unsafe to wear ear plugs when diving? ... is it likely to progress the narrowing in the same way?

Thanks! .. sorry to hyjack this thread.

I wear plugs in the summer and just a hood in the winter,none when diving.
I've got some scalp lotion (sounds dodgy i know) that the Doctor prescribed that i use if they block,also some 'swim ear' that does the same job.On top of that i get my ears sucked out every few months or so.
I was given the option to have them drilled but they reckoned it'd be worth seeing how they responded to a bit of care and so far so good.

thanks badlander,

ears sucked out?! can you explain that one.

also what does the swim ear do and how / when is it used?

Well,they send me an appointment,i go in they stick a sucky nozzle (pardon the technical speak) in my ear and root about sucking out bits and bobs to keep the opening clear and prevent any ear infections from starting.
Last time i got infections i was totally deaf in both ears,it wasn't much of a laugh.Anyway,they call it an aural toilet.
Swim ear:
Co Pharma Swim Ear in Accessories from Simply Scuba.

It's basically isopropyl alcohol and drys the ears after you've dived/surfed etc etc,the scalp lotion i was prescribed by the doctor is basically the same stuff.

Oh,and for the record,dived at Maenporth this afternoon,really feels like flogging a dead horse diving this time of year,saw a dead Gurnard,which sums it up really....viz was a dissapointing 3-4 meters,water temp 10c and though i say it every time,that was the last dive until the fish come back.

Never use earplugs when diving!!! If you are snorkelling on surface without any 'duckdiving' then you might just about get awat with it although it might make it difficult to hear the idiot on the jet ski who is about to mow you down.

Right all of you Cornish boys...Just returned from a lovely weekend in the Penzance area, sadly not diving but managed a tour of my fave coves! From Prussia to Cape Cornwall the viz looked outstanding! I'll post some pics tomorrow night to show you what I mean.

Chatting with the guy in the fishing shop, there are plenty of bass still around so, if you can handle the temp, is it worth a go?

Attachments

• DSC00399.jpg
    DSC00399.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC00369.jpg
    DSC00369.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Reactions: Huw
Pav - try looking up Docs proplugs - they do a diving version which I know are used by some pretty serious spearfishermen. I have a pair in order to try and reduce the number of ear infections I get in warmer climes - and also surprisingly as an aid to equalisation - seems counter-intuitive I know - 'plug your ears and equalise easier' but it seems to maintain the airway and stop water getting in so easily.

There are other threads in DB which talk to this - if you cannot find them go to Docs Proplugs - Sound Reduction - Surfing - Grommets - Earplugs - and check them out

Pics now on...see previous post

HELL! Ive been waiting for viz like that to come back for the last 3 months!!! Unfortunatley its a little far away for me.... but anyone near should get on in!Goddamn it im all geared up and in the mood to shoot some bass at the moment :martial .rofl

Fearthespear... do you know roughly how deep that water is in the first picture? It looks shallow around the edges, but looks like it drops down quite nicely. Have you dived there before?

Huw

DA thicker diameter float line will solve the problem i reckon,does anyone know of any good alternatives to use????
Anyway,got a few months to get it sorted.

..I did use that camo polyprop that's on the shelves in B&Q for a while...did the job nicely until I got some Saffa floatline from Durban....

Fearthespear... do you know roughly how deep that water is in the first picture? It looks shallow around the edges, but looks like it drops down quite nicely. Have you dived there before?

Huw

Dave is about right with the depth as far as I can remember, deeper further out though. Dived there for the last three summers. We managed to get trigger fish and saw plenty of school bass but no biggies. I think it's probably better in this area when the fish are on the move to deeper water "out of season". The locals would know better though...

I just enjoy getting in the water all around this area, not least for the viz and seal encounters! The basking sharks were amazing last summer, check out the vid we took from the boat off lands end last August...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCEnHiYtSWQ]YouTube - Basking Shark - Lands End[/ame]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT