• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall 2007!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Fascinating stuff "a" - perhaps we should of been surgeons or perhaps we are!?

Hi all,I am off up to Dorset (Sandford Park) next week and was going to take spear gear with me cause I was thinking of going to Lulworth Cove. I was wondering if anybody could recommend the best side to go etc.:)
Regards
Steve.

The best bass congregation I have seen is on the eastern outside wall of the cove. As conditions change fish habits do to. I would recommend depending on tide direction, either entering the cove and going to have a look left (avoiding the boats), before coming back along the coast to Stair Hole and and getting out there. As I said, depending on tide, switch your entry and exit. There is good ground all along though and at minimum you should get big mullet.

Fascinating stuff "a" - perhaps we should of been surgeons or perhaps we are!?

Never ask a surgeon to carve at dinner!!!

suppose the same goes for filletting. I'm getting better thoughroflrofl

Never ask a surgeon to carve at dinner!!!

suppose the same goes for filletting. I'm getting better thoughroflrofl

I can relate to that, my best mate is a Doc & he cant fillet for toffee! (good spearo though)

If you want to be sure of catching, try forgetting your fishbox so you've nothing to carry fish in.

or the double figure Bass can always be coaxed in by unloading your speargun, or better still going in without it.

Reactions: podge
Or searching for years for a double figure bass, and when you find one, its about 1m below you as the murk clears. You loose off a complete kneejerk shot and miss....:head:head:head:head:head

Just that happening to someone else is enough to give me sleepless nights,god knows how i'd cope if it happened to me....
Dived somewhere between St Just and St Ives this morning,viz was lovely but there was more swell than i'd hoped.A new spot for me but a rather harsh 45 minute walk to get down there.Saw a few schoolies and some pretty big pollock but nothing that justified being carried back up the cliff path.The seals made it pretty difficult to properly hunt as i'm sure they were stalking me and spooking the fish but as i was on my own i didn't really mind and just had a good look around.No fish,bloody sore legs and i'd been scoffing blackberrys on the way back up and looked like i had lip stick on but an enjoyable dive none the less.

Reactions: Pav
or the double figure Bass can always be coaxed in by unloading your speargun, or better still going in without it.
roflYes, that usually works for me too! When I looked up from placing a crab trap a few weeks, there was a big shoal of bass just hanging around looking at me -- unusually, I had opted not to take the speargun with me as I was not going far:(.

Reactions: foxfish
:):):)

the pleasure of discovering a new spot!

Surfed most of the day. On the way back home hiked (and boy is it a hike!!) into a spot I had discovered a while ago.

Whilst most of my spots suffer green / brown sediment when viz is poor the viz here was only ruined by a blueish tint from the bottom make up which I think is slate.

Fish? .. Only Mullet today but it looks good!

As most of my other quiet spots now have regular visits from other spearos its nice to have somewhere new. Finding these spots is almost as rewarding as the hunting itself!

Bigger swell coming in this week. Down in Penzance in 2 weeks for surf / spearing depending on the swell. Hoping for waves on the north coast and calm on the south coast for hunting! Wife and baby on holiday so will be playing 8 to late every day rofl.

Well.. not posted in absolutely ages... maily owing to the fact that once we returned from Zante, neither my buddies or I fancied the look of cornish sea! However, i got 'the feeling' yesterday after reading over everyone elses posts and so was so desperate to get in I went for my first proper solo dive.

Bit apprehensive at first and seemed to notice the strange looks from people in thick coats on the beach as i waded into the water with camo suit and gun a little more than usual!!!

Anyway was it worth it???? HELL YES!!! came out with my first ever John Dory... what an amazing fish! I have seen them loads in aquariums and such like, and always fancied seeing one in spearo mode... anyway i was stealthing around a large submurged boulder surrounded by bait-fish, and was waiting for the usual silver torpedos to head in... then I noticed him slowly gliding motionless not more than a foot from the bottom. I took a breath and got the position right as i knew that he thought i couldn't see him. I have to say his camo was a damn sight more impressive than mine!! He turned broadside so i took the shot just behind the gills... he went BRIGHT GOLD!!! Spines up he started growling and thrashing at me, so i was a little put off grabbing him (only had my 2mm superstretch gloves on). Any way eventually slid the stringer through the mark where the spear passed ad worked the spear out. Course he was still alive, so i took hold by the gills and stoned him with the knife from inside gills up.

Not monster size (just shy of 1kg... gutted) but definately monster appearance. Just ate him about an hour ago, and i have to say I think it is my new favourite fish! texture was really good and the flavour was brilliant. I filleted him well so there were no bones and spread butter over the fillets then sprinkled with sea salt black pepper, bit of white zinfandel, small bit of fennel... wrapped all up in foil and then served over pasta. Perfect.

Anyway, hope all is well with you guys.

Huw.

Good Going HUW I cant say ive ever bumped into a john dory on my trips but sound good to eat

Reactions: Huw
Nice one Huw, I have eaten a lot of John Dory but never shot one. They are a nice fish!

Thanks guys, i was very pleased with the catch! I'm Dying to get back in now, but its typical that the sea and weather has turned, and now i'm fearing that perhaps that was a good way to end the season?!!? With the suit i really dont think the water temp should be a problem anymore really, but can anyone recall any good vis over November, December Jan Feb etc? I just want to keep going really, even if it means just diving for lobbies... still not found one yet!
Anyone thinking of heading in soon? Anyone been out??

Huw.

hey huw, well done on the john dory, would love to get one of them,
i had another lobster the other day, but that was here in Brighton.
well done

Reactions: Huw
Cheers mate!

By the way there is a vid on youtube of a guy spiking a JD with his gun, and you can really hear the grunting and growling sound that i was on about... gurnards do similar things, but it was still kinda weird!

Huw

PS: here it is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow man he didnt even shoot it!!! just sort of swam up behind it and stabbed it. thats cool. no messing around with loading the gun just stab and bag I LOVE IT!!!

HUW are you baiting a pot for lobbies or scouting around for one under rocks? ive often thought about putting a pot in and just bating it up from time to time. The only thing that puts me off is divers and dare I say it..... other spearo's coming along and taking my bounty or even worse taking the whole pot.

Reactions: jwells1989
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT