• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lazuli

May 9, 2008
Could not see a new thread for this year so I thought I would take the plunge and post up a 2009 showcase thread for us.

Happy new year all.

Laz

Reactions: gutshot
I was just looking for such a thread. Nice one. Happy new year to you all.

Happy New Year everyone :friday. Bloody cold aintit! but how good has the surf been...

The surf has been epic :) Nothing like crunching through Ice on your way down, has put me off spearing again!

Happy New Year as well!

Very cold surfs over the festive period! Rather this than horizontal rain and wind! Happy New Year!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: gutshot
Surf has been powering in Guernsey too - happy new year guys.
Mart.

Swam with my first Porpoise of 2009 this afternoon after work on the high tide. Went in for a surf which was small but fun, and this fella joined me outback! Stuck around for about 5mins and then went. I sat there letting the set waves go grinning at how cool it is to live and work so close to the sea. I will never take it for granted. :)

I see them often during the summer locally but have never noticed them this early. Its like Floridas East coast but colder rofl!

That must of been amazing mate, did you feel nervous at all?

Reactions: Pav
Just previlaged. Harmless unless being chased down by an Orca, or Great White! They always seem to keep there distance. The closest I have been is in the Yak where I had them breaking the surface a few meters away. In the summer the first you know that they are near is the sound of them blowing their blowhole as they surface. They are common in the bay come the summer.

What amazes me is how many people live by the coast for all their lives but never choose to expereince the wonders that we see!

Cheers. :friday its been a good day :)

I had this encounter a few years back.There was a big group of them and i had to go below to grab my camera and get back up and try to film.The other guy on the boat was crashed out as we were doing 3hrs on 3hrs off and didn't want to know!I was pretty scared to be honest but it was unforgetable.
Another close call , it's hard to make out but i was pretty certain it was going to take the rudder off.They were easily the length of the boat and in total i'd say there were around 15 of them.We figured they were humpbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gutshot and podge
If the fin breaks the surface in an arc stop and watch and enjoy!
Otherwise.... Shark!

As taught to me whilst surfing in florida years ago! May be useful ;>)

I've always wondered how i'd feel being checked out by a pod of porpoise/dolphin whilst spearing and having fish on a belt stringer.I'm not too sure if i'd be too keen on it really.Still,like you say Pav,it's such a great feeling being in the water with them...get a real 'nature hit'.

I wouldn't really want to be adrift of the Azores! What were you doing out there, sailing by the look of it but any more details?

My friend bought an Alpa 38 in Annapolis in the states.We sailed her to bermuda then over to the azores then up to falmouth.That footage was shot about 4 days north of the Azores so losing the rudder would have sucked.The whales always appeared when i was on watch for some reason.We passed one heading the other way that was on the surface and about 2ft from the hull.Amazingly close call but tried not to think about it.

Reactions: foxfish
Set off cold and early for the coast today to see what conditions were like for a scallop dive. Sea was benign enough but the vis looked like it would be a repeat of a frozen and fruitless dive I had a few days earlier. Still, went prepared with a "plan B" and drove to a secluded spot to see what the low tide could offer in terms of Razor Clams. We (me and the other half) were not disappointed and managed to get dozens for supper tonight (gonna get some mates round for our spring tide binge!).

I'm going to see if I can get in for a dive tomorrow.

Cheers, Laz

Last edited:
Reactions: Pav and donnachad
Are you soaking them in Gin + Salt?

Great looking catch. How are you collecting? and more important cooking.
Can you store them if you collect more than you can eat that evening?

Are you soaking them in Gin + Salt? Great looking catch. How are you collecting? and more important cooking.
Can you store them if you collect more than you can eat that evening?

Lol rofl ... Hey Pav... No, the gin is for medicinal purposes only (call it a "reviver"!) and that is some of the salt we were using to coax the devils out of the sand. My gf has gone to Sainsburys in search of ingredients to prepare grilled razor clams in chorizo and garlic butter. Should be good :friday

I'm going to shuck the meat out of any surplus clams and freeze it. Maybe do a clam chowder in a week or so.

Laz

We get razor clams in Guernsey although we call them razor fish! I normally collect them once a year in the autumn, it is not that difficult to dig 200 in two hours.
We do eat a few but not as whole creatures, we just flash fry the white foot, the main reason to collect them would be for use as fishing bait.
They are very good as a general bait being attractive to virtually every fish species.
I dont think I could stomach eating all the guts & things.....

I am going to have a go at this! What am I looking for? My beaches are exposed to atlantic swells, although I do have access to estuary sands.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT